Let's Play Geneforge 5

Blxz

Watching episode 30.

Traps difficulty level 14? Nearby Astoria's (early mid-game) area? The game wants to tell you something there...

About the rage messages you get. I'm not sure of course, but I think (using less cannisters myself) that you get more "you supress your rage!" than I did.

Also, I see you found the Trakovites. When I saw their leader, after playing GF4 and part of GF3, my jaw dropped to the floor. I remember getting orders by that same Trakovite boss, to kill without mercy any Trakovite in GF4.

I also found it extremely peculiar that Trakovites had created Turrets and creations. That's Blasphemy for them. I ... got the explation from that boss (that used to hunt Trakovites 5 years ago) but at the time, I found it strange.

Episode 31: My favorite episode so far (because of Litalia)

May I suggest you change the name of the Yutube episode? Kinda too spoily of the biggest surprise and plot twist of the GF series... ;)

You stumbled on the spoiler because you talked with that crazy guy. I didn't. I went to find that boss... and I couldn't believe it. For a moment I thought I was reading wrong or that there were two Litalias or something.

I found... remarkable how she distances herself from her past actions. "We have both been altered, seperated by our kind by Shaper magic" Riiiiiiight. And who was championing that cause Litalia? Saying that's the proper way of things?

Not to mention... who, as a Shaper, wiped out nearly all the Drakons before changing sides?

To accuse Shapers for Shaping sitting in a room with 5+ creations was rich. As rich as implying the cannisters and especially the geneforges (that she helped make and remake) were a crime.

"But I'm not like the others" (Should have added "I made the others what they were without care that some were maddened")

"I realized what was happening to me and it disgusted me" (should have added "after a decade or so of cannister abuse and slaughter")

"On the day the first Unbound were released, I understood the truth" (Should have started with "after over-ruling Greta and moderates that didn't like the idea of the Unbound, after assisting in the creation of the machinery with my Shaper knowledge, after helping Akari Blaze design them, on the first day...")

"The day the Unbound were released was the day I became a Trakovite" (Should have added "that day was a couple of weeks after I ordered some rebel to break away from a crucially important mission, completing the Unbound, in order to locate and destroy a Trakovite because I could not suffer them to exist.")

("Thankfully, once I left the Rebels they started to ignore my insane order of killing Trakovites wherever they were and now mostly ignore us")

Litalia was the only Rebel as hell-bent to eradicate the Trakovites as the Shapers; in GF4 not even Ghaldring was giving quests about killing Trakovites.

Laughed myself to tears again.

Anyway: I kept her cloak to the endgame. And trully, I found the Trakovites the most... emotionally charged faction to follow through.

Another thing: You say that the rebels do inexcusable crimes. My take on it is this: In a civil war, both sides have saints and fiends (Litalia being the later). Rebels fight a bit more dirty than the Shapers. However they fight for the freedom of a sentient race (Serviles) and the right of existance of two others (Drakons and Drayks). Shapers fight to keep those enslaved and all power to their order.

I could not align with the Shapers in any game because of that. In my opinion, both sides are nasty, but the Shapers are worse.

Thanks for sharing your passionate views. :) I'm a little less passionate when it comes to Litalia in the direction that I simply dislike her. She's really turned me off the Trakovites which is a shame since I think they are the closest I align with ideologically. I have renamed the episode though as that was some good advice.

Ultimately I am struggling to find someone to align with in this game so far. Enjoying the hell out of it but feeling very unaligned and lost in the big wide world. G5 is probably the closest in feeling to G1 and G2 for me. G3 and G4 were very much 'choose a side' style of games which I think worked less well for them while 1, 2, & 5 are more about exploring and being lost in a new place. I'm loving this game so far and am keen to keep playing.

As for your views on Rebel vs Shaper, I think have drawn a simple graph that I think explains my views on the faction ideologies. I don't see them quite as linear as Jeff has made them in the game. I feel the factions have become more and more extreme as the games have gone on with rapid ramps up for both the Shapers in G4 & 5. Although the rebels have always been quite extreme. I find that as they become more extreme the ideas of the Trakovites appeal to me more and more.

Shaper%20views.jpg

I like that image.

Truth be told... Shapers and rebels reaction to shaping can be changed by the player (if you join the Trakovites).

As far as it goes... I kinda disagree with the Shapers being more pro-shapey in GF5 than GF4. Wait till you hit further ahead before putting the dot. You have just seen Astoria and Rawal and Astoria is less pro-shaping than Rawal (that had a Geneforge on his basement, so I actually not consider him a Shaper and there are more deviances from his side to be proven).

Rebels in GF5 are IMO below GF4 and in both GF4 and GF5 they are much above Shapers since they ... shape themselves totally. However a lot of rebels are too put off by... I won't say more.

Let's just say that Rebels are not just the Drakons and there are things for you to discover on that front even on the last battle.

So I would put both Shapers and Rebels less pro-Shaping in GF5 than in GF4.

As for not able to align yourself: Every faction choice I found was more or less bad. As with every war, this one brought out the worse in people. The good are few, the brave have already been killed, the idealists disillusioned. It's a very realistic representation of a long war IMO. Both sides have turned to extremities, there is literally not a good side and common people suffer.

Oh, and Trakovites in GF5 are not as antishaping as in GF4. You know that now :) Their base is full of shaped creations. They consider now that a Trakovite shaper\lifecrafter could create life in defense of the Trakovites.

Remember that dude in Monarch's basement in GF4? That was waiting for you? He didn't shape anything. He left the place armed with magic, not creations. When you meet him again, he's in a cave, thinking; not a cave full of creations, thinking.

The depth of GF series was very surprising to me.

Oh, and Litalia is my favorite GF character (and the 3rd best for my sister; she loved Moseh from GF4)

Thinking more about it, I suggest you put up that image on your channel. Then, you can "correct it" as you move forward and put people you meet there.

Personally, I would suggest putting in Shapers of GF1-3 (one dot), Shapers of GF4-5 (one dot). Then "Rebels" of GF1, rebels of GF 3-4 (one dot), Drakons in GF5 and "moderates" in GF5.

Put Trakovites of GF1-4 (one dot) and Trakovites of GF5.

Then, put smaller dots for important people; like Rawal, Astoria, Litalia and others that I won't talk to you about, and add it as a small link in the comments of your channel.

In the horizontal axis, you could put "pro-shaper" or "pro-rebel" to show where they stand in the civil war aside of their opinion on shaping; for example the guardian that betrayed Astoria and sent assassins is... very pro-shaper, moderately pro-shaping.

Attention: If you follow my idea, leave space on the extremely pro-shaper and extremely pro-rebel. ;) You haven't seen how extreme are the extremes.

This is mine, with things from GF4 and what I've seen so far from yours (i.e. no spoilers; I won't tell you where I think Astoria or GF5 Litalia stand):

Filled.jpg

And here's an empty one if you want to fill it.

http://postimg.org/image/grxm94qe5/

I think you would enjoy G1 & 2. Are you planning on playing them soon? I reckon the stories would resonate with you well.

In other news,

is possibly my favourite action based episode in the whole series. Loads of challenging maneuvering, careful battling and the biggest payoff of the series thus far. (not that I realised exactly how big at the time)

That's what I was planning to do with GF3 too, but it was too good series of games to just stop at GF4.

Interesting. G3 nearly stopped me from playing the whole series. I got stuck on it a number of times and was pretty unhappy, ended up forcing myself to finish (although glad I did by the end). 1, 2 have been so fun that I've replayed a number of times and am even doing so again now. I can imagine 5 will be joining the list of replayable's. Sadly no Litalia in 1 and 2, you'll have to take that sacrifice. :)

Blazing gauntlets? They are good... but not the best IMO. You could have gone for this:

+5 Battle Magic, +5 Mental Magic, +5 Blessing Magic, +2 Strength of creations, +2 Dexterity of creations, +2 Endurance of creations

I actually made the lifecrafter gauntlets (like smoking+4 to creation stats)

NOTE: I just skimmed to see the artifact. :) I didn't even see where you are to keep it cool. Thanks buddy.

A long while ago there was a "Geneforge Political Spectrum" post -- http://spiderwebforu...tical-spectrum/

I can't see the image now (more's the pity; maybe you can?). But if you scroll down in the thread there are some later versions that are quite visible, and the axes are "shaping" vs. "creation rights." I ended up closer to Trakovites than anything else in part because I hate self-shaping so much (since, in the games, it makes you arrogant and careless of others...after GF1 I played them all as a canister virgin; I was glad that GF5 finally let me make my favorite creation, the Drayk, without needing to take canisters)....on your spectrum I'd be southwest of you as the shapers also hate canisters.

Alhoon, now that I've made an artifact I've allowed myself to go looking through the artifact list. Both of those gauntlet suggestions you mentioned require Essence infused Iron. Without trawling through a guidebook I would assume they would be somewhere very far into the game. I'm only just past the halfway point I would imagine. But perhaps I can upgrade when I do find the iron if I can get another solid flame or quicksilver thingy again.

Alberich, my picture was no where near as classy as some of the pics in that thread. In regards to canisters I'm in an interesting position. I love the idea of them. I'm an absolute canister whore and smash them as soon as possible. In all other regards though my central, slightly shaper orientated position describes me well. Just....can't get enough of those canisters.

The best part is, as I've noted in other threads, the more I use the canisters the more arrogant I feel in the game. Mentally I feel powerful when I use them. And if you have been watching this LP you will be seeing where that is getting me every time I think I can fight an unbound. Feels like Jeff wrote these games for me. :)

In other news,

is out and it was certainly a 'Balme-y' encounter...heh get it...heh...anyone? Ok, I'll stop.

Alhoon, have ignored some of your advice about splitting audio streams and timings, etc. I've been practicing and I think I've got my timings pretty good (read: perfect). The last few episodes from about 45-something onwards have been done like that. Let me know when you get there if you think the balance between background sounds and voiceover are better suited or could use more tweaking. I've basically got the freedom to change volumes as much as I want now.

Not having played Geneforge 4 to the very end has led to a few interesting encounters this game such as unbound, the state of the world, etc. But this latest encounter has been by far the most disturbing for me. Especially seeing how things have changed since the first encounter all the way back in G3.

No episodes just yet. I've recorded the same episode 6 times so far and am at my wits end with recorder issues. I'll have to put in some extra recording sessions but for reference, 6 episodes is what I normally use to cover me for about 2 weeks (hence my entire backlog is gone).

Anyone care to pipe in with some alternative screen capture software suggestions?

EDIT: Sorted now. Episodes need editing and rendering. Will be continuing on the 21st, Australian time.

was a labour of love.

For some reason OBS really just seemed to collapse. Lag spikes were out of control, video quality has been slipping in the past episodes and has been pretty inconsistent and for Ep 55 it just continually froze on a single frame for about 1 min then jumped to the next while my voice continued. I've been checking episodes to try and prevent this from happening since the big stoneworks issues. Was just insane this time and I couldn't fix it.

The new recording software is a godsend by comparison. It has its own quirks (episode 56 here we come) but I've got them sorted now. Has been a joy to record and I'm having loads of fun again. Regular updates resume on every odd date of the month. (and every even day has my secondary LP's if anyone is interested in those)

is ready.

Be aware that due to some quirks in the new recording software settings there will be some audio sync issues from the second half of the episode onwards.

Slightly technical explanation below:

For some odd reason the default settings are set to not record when the frames don't update which happens during loading screens and some battle turns briefly if I am not moving the mouse and there are no special effects on screen. The transition time between when it starts the audio and the screen capture are ever so slightly apart and that builds up gradually over the course of the video. Sadly this was not something I was able to fix in post editing. I have prevented it from occurring in any future videos.

Episode 32: Oklavano sea cave.

If I may suggest, when you get in a place that you expect to be hostile in low essence it would IMO be prudent to use some of those essence pods and replace a couple of lost creations.

That way, you can afford to use speed or bless (like that battle with the artilas).

I hope you revisit Oklavano later. I don't think I visited it. Doesn't remind me much and I certainly don't have the energy and time to load up and play it.

I had the same problem as you in GF4 and GF5. And ended the games with stacks of over 30 consumables. What I mean is that you're (at Oklavano) about a level where you could keep 1-2 creations for a loooong time and leveling them up while the rest perish. I think I changed all of my creations for more powerful versions later on so it's not a biggy, but at the time I absorbed my final cryora at level ~30, she was so high level, that unbound had 20% to hit her.

Every LP I've seen the players always want to protect their creations to the point that they reload quite extensively. I've always felt this goes against the feel of shapers so I'm being deliberately a little more careless and also trying to play as 'hardcore' (ie. no reloading) as possible without being unreasonable.

This means that yes, I will spend half an episode running from unbound and losing creations rather than hitting f4 and going back in time. Despite this I have a compulsive habit to quicksave regularly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and

has been released today. More of those sweet artifact ingredients. May be useful if I ever find any more mandrake tinctures. They seem pretty scarce this game.

I'm not talking about loading, I mean casting regeneration aura more liberaly. :)

This about the Unbound is important for the game. You throw a couple least-valuable creations to slow it and run like hell. That's GF5 for me. Running from the Unbound wondering if I'll have to sacrifice ANOTHER high-level treasured creation.

Episode 33: Battle Alpha eh? Didn't make one in the whole GF5 game. Went straight for WTrall and had my trusty, leveled up clawbugs in the meantim.

I actually don't think it's even worth the extra essense; the bugs were terrific.

EDIT: I see you came to the very same conclusion like 2 mins later.

If I may, without wanting to dispirit you, give a slight criticism: The fight in the beginning of the episode with spawner was kinda... not too much fun to watch.

Lengthy battle that was not that important to the story. Spawners are, after all, a fongus that spews mindless bugs.

Nothing that could be done about it though. It was actually needlessly tiring for me when playing the game too. I'm not blaming YOU for the big fight. It's not like you could have avoided it.

Spellcraft increase (you probably don't remember since it's two months, but you got spellcraft increase) was... an interesting choice. I didn't raise spellcraft at all I think during the game.

ooohhh... North Citadel pass! I haven't actually BEEN there till nearly the end of the game. Found it hillariously easy but you're in for big trouble at that level.

Episode 34: This one is probably gonna be a good episode...

At the beginning you start the episode very close to several enemies. If I may be so bold and ask... why didn't you cast blessing magic?

Aaaah... the first battle with an unbound. It hasn't been a disappointment. :) As I think I've already mentioned, for me the most deep routed memory of GF5 is not the endings. It's that feeling you get when you're with 2nd tier creations and an Unbound walks in... That mad dash to escape, living piecemeal creations for the mad creation to waste its time on.

After that episode, you probably understand what I mean. And no, by the time I was 40+ lvl and met that very Unbound, that had 20% chance to hit my creations, I still got pangs of urgency and mounting tension beyond any reasonable explanation. Like you've probably figured already, I've been conditioned by the first half of the game to be absolutely terrified of the Unbound.

No offense but I found it terribly funny, how you left those poor soldiers to fend for themselves and made a run for it. Till Mera Tev. I could mentally picture your poor lifecrafter running aaaaaaaaaall the way to Mera Tev and collapsing only after the gates closed behind him.

I see that Bormac MADE IT through the purge... he's gained 6 levels by now. I hope he stays put for the long run (no spoilers please).

question: Have you returned there? Cause if you haven't I won't spoil it for you. But if you did... I have something to share about the whole thing.

Special Cannister: I ... have missed that. :( Mechanics-only probably. Must be the best cannister in the whole series. I don't remember any other giving +2. I didn't know it was even possible.

As a note, if you remember your first meeting with Guardian Makar. He told you that you've been partaking heavily on cannisters. He told me something different I think. Something like that I can still be at control but will lose it sooner or later.

PS. I'm pretty sure that Semini, the docile secretary of Guardian Makar had a HUGE crush on him.

Had to rewatch as I had forgotten about the +2 canister. Sadly I don't think I ever held true on my promise to use it more. I may have tried it once and it failed abysmally. I'm much more about the brute force direct approach.

And oh that audio quality. I had forgotten how bad that was. I don't envy you wading through that horrible background hiss. It will disappear at some point in the future and be replaced with the soft dulcet tones of my raspy voice. :)

Been a while since I linked here. But the vids have still been coming out. Links below for anyone who only links directly from these forums.

- So. Many. Bandits.

- More trap dodging fun.

- Well, we had to move on with the story eventually.

I'm trying to keep the uploads coming out but my backlog is down to 1 more episode right now. My cpu is throttled to 800mhz due to a possible liquid cooling pump failure so lag spikes are running rampant while recording and temps are sitting at 100C. Hopefully I can fix it before I run out of backlog. If not, episodes might skip a few days depending on fix times.

Episode 35 and 36: There are large gaps in those. :(

A pity...

I listened to parts of the "Frozen" episodes but I couldn't get much of a hold of what was happening.

And oh God, I remember the battle in 36. It was frustrating, it was hard and I had to load several times. And I had both golems (kept them with regeneration aura).

In case you remember, was it easy with your tons of mechanics? To get away from the traps? I was caught trying to use both the handles and fight enemies.

EDIT: You did it! Before the enemies even got in! Mechanics DID pay out in the end. I was getting facefulls of acid from roamers while running back and forth.

As for the puzzle with the controls and all: it wasn't really a puzzle I think. You clicked one and then the other control, a few dozen times in my case, till the door opens.

Episode 37: "Guardian Makar is here! He will help us in the fight!" :D

You trust Shapers too much. They are not as crazy as Drakons, but they ARE crazy powermongers that refuse to be wrong.

I have kinda expected he was a traitor the moment I saw him here. He had claimed he never went down, remember?

Unfortunatelly, the fight with the golem was not fully watchable. :( I could listen to the missing parts though.

I liked how you started with "Makar will help me fight the golem" and ended with the golem fighting Makar... I managed to take control of it near the very end of it's health and it had stuff on. It hit Makar once I think before tumbling.

The roamers that you fight after the golem, they were coming by the dozen (so to speak) in that room I was trapped with the controls.

I see you are full of items now. I repeat my suggestion to find a nice place (close to an anvil) and throw all your things in a chest there.

Did you go to speak to Makar's girlfriend\secretary after killing him?

• 2 weeks later...

At episode 38, while you were reading Astoria's reply on "I killed Makar!" there was a loud background sound. I couldn't listen a thing with that background noise till it ended.

You also say, quite emphatically, that you won't ally with Astoria (And you explain your reasons). May I ask whether you change your mind later on?

I've finished the game with most factions, but Astoria seemed to be the most reasonable at that point. Astoria even leaves Serviles in peace and wants to just end the war...

Oh and another thing: Listening their beliefs IS NOT joining their faction. Not even a quest or two they may give you BEFORE they tell you to join.

Endings: I suggest you just... do them all. Remain unaligned until the near-end. There's only ONE faction that you may lock yourself out before swearing allegiance.

Trakovite ending had interesting IMO pre-ending quests. So did ... well, let's not spoil who else gives you the quest to kill Rawal.

I saw you sold my favorite sandals... I had them around till the end. May I suggest you just find a nice, cosy house and drop your crafting stuff there? No need to carry onyx crystals around and drayk scales.

Oh, I remember that battle. I expected it to be tougher than it was (clawbugs worked WONDERS with the artillae) and used a ton of blessing magic before opening the door. And still, I was killed because I used an AOE crystal which made everyone attack me. Next time, I just stood behind and the blessed\protected clawbugs killed everything with little help.

At episode 38, while you were reading Astoria's reply on "I killed Makar!" there was a loud background sound. I couldn't listen a thing with that background noise till it ended.

The joys of Geneforge, the game is exceedingly bad at giving me control over volume settings so there is little control over inappropriately loud or poorly timed background noise.

I do, however, get better at video production over the course of this entire LP. At some stage in the future (I don't recall which episode) I will begin to play around with reducing the background noise as I record it in a separate channel to my voice and have more control over each individual sound level.

All I can do is restate that this is a learning experience and I am endeavouring to make sure each video is better than the one previous.

As for the difficult fights, I'm really enjoying them. I think I am finding my stride with this game. I didn't play a shaper in my last Geneforge game so it took me a while to really get into the feel. Once you catch up to the current vids you'll be seeing me dropping buffs and using items and getting a little more effective in general. I also start to trend towards a more balanced damage type army....gradually.

To be clear: I WAS NOT trying to tell you how to play the game. You want to use buffs? Good? Don't want to use buffs? Works too.

Indeed. For the most part I'm too lazy to muck around with balancing and fine tinkering. I like simple, direct, repeatable commands. What prompts me to improve is a disastrous battle that wipes out my army and proves my tactics are obsolete which forces a rethink, a win (naturally) and then another stagnation further down the line.

Basically, you will see my tactics jump around. Having never played the game I have no idea of a 'best' way and having no interest in trawling through guides I have no doubt I've been sub-optimal (such as the point of intelligence I realised I could have received from Rawal early game...). Still, I assume that is the pleasure some people find in watching another player play a game they are familiar with.

EDIT: And a small update if anyone is ghost reading the forums and waiting for more videos. I have a fan on backorder to my remote country town. Hopefully only a few more days to fix this cooling issue and then some more videos can be recorded and uploaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Cooling issue was finally resolved. It was an excellent lesson in why to be skeptical of even things that 'experts' have to say on the matter. Turns out my CPU liquid cooler pump was plugged into the motherboard incorrectly by the people who built the damn thing. I managed to fix it in the end. Turns out my cpu has been running a full year with nothing but ambient cooling and has been throttling itself back to 800MHz to try and stop itself melting (hence the ingame lag and poor video quality at times).

This has been fixed and episodes are resuming, both audio and video quality are much improved and the lag is totally absent which makes playing and viewing a joy again.

Welcome back! I love the way you interpret the Shapers' dialogue, especially Alexia's. Interested to see which way you finally go on factions.

You mean the voices? I thought that was by far the weakest part of my presentation but I'm glad you enjoy them. Most of the time I struggle to remember which voice belongs to which character. I just make it up as I go along most of the time.

Unfortunately I've never done much drama or anything like that. I have rubbish control over my own voice as you will see in the next episode. The longer I talk the worse it gets (note the hard s sounds that come from a dry throat). Still, I'm glad the viewers are enjoying it. I'm quite enjoying myself as well. It has made a welcome change in the way I play the games and really made the characters feel more alive to me.

In other news,

is up and ready. We begin to cross the line and get out into the wild lands outside shaper control. Still not sure what faction I'll end up choosing yet.

Go for Trakovites*! At least at first; you can ditch them later. Although my suggestion remains: Make a save before deciding and do all the finales.

*No so much because they are better but mostly because they would be the function I would prefer to watch your reactions for. They are the most unpredictable. You go for Shapers, you know more or less what to expect. You go for rebels, you know what to expect. Trakovites are a wild card.

I still haven't fathomed what pushes Litalia to ask half what she does ask aside of pure madness. Her decisions are... ?????

NOTE: In case you have missed it, Astoria invites you to join her faction if you're pro-rebel. Without spoiling what she's going for, I would say that alone (invitation to rebels only) clearly puts her in the rebel side and I consider her the "moderate rebel" faction.

Me, I’m more interested in what leads him to choose whichever faction he does. I went Trakovite myself but enjoy following Blxz’s own leanings based on what he sees in the game, and am looking forward to what takes him past the tipping point one way or the other.

With Litalia, I was able to accept that she knows both Rebel and Shaper psychology, since she has been both, but has had time to recover from canister abuse, so that she alone can view them both with a cold eye. Thus I accepted that her ideas would make sense to her even if they seemed strange to me.

Good times!

Huh? I won't go to spoilers, so let's just say without me bring up facts that I disagree with Litalia making sense. Remember the event that caused the quote in my signature? ;) Even Litalia realized that for all her "smiling" practice she does sound mad.

I completely agree with you that the player should take the path he enjoys the most, not the path we would choose. But really... I would like to see him playing most of he factions. Which means I would enjoy every one.

If I were to take Alhoons suggestion of attempting each faction is there anything that I absolutely need to avoid as a tipping point?

I understand from the roving rebel groups that I am at least partially pro-shaper currently. If I go too far shaper in opinion is there a chance of being locked out from the option of joining any specific faction?

To be fair, currently I am not really considering doing each ending as that seems like a whole lot of work. But if the enjoyment and curiosity is there and the options are open to me I may well consider it when we reach that point. Time will tell.