Avernum 3 on Mac OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite)

Jol

I just finished A:ETP and A2:CS on my tablet, and have been hankering to dive into A3 again. Unfortunately, none of the copies I've tried (CDs purchased years ago, Gog.com downloads (for A3-6 - but A1 & A2 work, score!), and unofficial wineskin versions) are working for me. (Not even digging out the old laptop with 10.5.8!)

Is there a version out there that will work with Yosemite or do I need to get that copy of Windows I've been seriously considering to fire up Bootcamp? (Because I will, A3 was my favorite and I will go to those lengths to play it again.) And if I do go the Bootcamp route, which Windows OS is the best? (Last I looked 7, 8, and 10 were available.)

Thanks!

I'm not sure why neither the GOG nor my Wineskin versions don't work for you. They work for me in Yosemite. If you have access to a machine running 10.5.8 though, the version available on Spiderweb's site should work. If you do end up going the Windows route, you won't need Boot Camp just to play Avernum 3. You can use VirtualBox, which will let you make a virtual machine of a Windows PC (like an emulator). I'd recommend using Windows XP with that, if you can get a hold of a copy, since it is less resource-intensive than later versions and can run Avernum 3 without setting any compatibility settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and advice. I tried redownloading A3 from GOG and it worked the first time I tried it - though it crashed when I went to save and didn't work when I tried re-opening after that. The GOG Galaxy app shows all but A1, A2 & A4 as incompatible for some reason. I went the VirtualBox with XP route instead and everything seems to be working!