Play Order for the Avernum series

Stormbow

Years after pirating the first Avernum that came out, I finally own my own GOG.com –AND—Steam copies of the entire Avernum series (including Avernum 2: Crystal Souls). (And there was much rejoicing. /yay) To be more specific: I have Avernum, Avernum 2, Avernum 3, Avernum 4, Avernum 5, Avernum 6, Escape from the Pit, and Blades of Avernum, as well as Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, all from GOG.com and/or Steam.

Unfortunately, I’m completely out of touch with which games came out in which order, so I have to ask—Which order should they be played in for the best storyline, et all? Wasn’t there something about a couple of the games being remakes of the previous Avernums or somesuch also? Should I skip some earlier game and play a latter game for the better engine and such?

(I emailed the Devs this question more than a week ago, and no one responded.)

Avernum 1 through 6, in numerical order. Escape from the Pit and Crystal Souls are exactly the same as Avernum 1 and 2, but with upgraded graphics, writing, quests, gameplay, and such. It may be a jump going from CS to A3 though, so personally I prefer to do it that way. Blades of Avernum uses the 1-3 engine, but as far as I know you can play it at any time.

The Spiderweb scenarios that come with BoA, as well as several released by players, are set in the era between A3 and A4. It's not a big element in most, with one exception (Za-Khazi Run). So while not important, I'd say you may as well leave BoA where it falls naturally in the game order.

Thanks, @Chessrook44 and @Slartibus! To make sure I have this right, it's:

1. Avernum 1 (or Escape from the Pit for better graphics, writing, quests, gameplay, etc)

2. Avernum 2 (or Crystal Souls for better graphics, writing, quests, gameplay, etc)

3. Avernum 3

4. Blades of Avernum

5. Avernum 4

6. Avernum 5

7. Avernum 6

Does that sound right?