Homeland: The Stone of Night...anyone?

crpgnut

I just found this CD/DVD in my library and I really don't remember much about it. It says Spiderweb Software, so I think this may have been Jeff just helping out another shareware author by printing up some copies on his site. Anyone ever play it or are there any reviews about the game that anyone can point me too?

I know it generally wasn't well-regarded, and I don't think too many people ever bought or played it. Spiderweb originally published it but no longer sells or supports it, and as far as I know the author has disappeared off the face of the earth. I'd be a little surprised if it even still runs properly on modern computers; it was written for Windows 95/98.

All that hate was maybe more a bandwagon than anything else. Someone, I can't remember who, actually did acquire and play the full game and said it wasn't that bad. That's probably accurate. From what I remember of the demo it wasn't horrible. It was just not especially good, and its awfulness became a meme here.

—Alorael, who would put it around the similarly infamous Galactic Core in quality. It was playable, not particularly balanced, and for the type of game it was you have plenty of better options to play instead.

I'm as guilty of jumping into the meme pool as anyone. That thread's over a decade old, and it's been longer than that since I played Homeland. I still think its reputation is worse than its actually gameplay. The gameplay isn't good, but it's not mind-warpingly bad. Just regular mediocre bad. Official reviews might pan it but they probably wouldn't be epically humorous in doing so.

—Alorael, who will offer the additional excuse that he's never knowingly owned a virus-infected computer, so he doesn't have much basis for comparison. He has used a couple of infected computers, though, with varying flavors of dysfunction and malice.

It's been ages since I played the demo, but here's what I remember:

Combat was real time and way too fast. You could pause and issue orders, but the length of the pause was limited by a refilling timer, creating a bizarre real-time pause that barely helped at all.

The demo's dungeon was dark, requiring you to carry a torch, but torches were limited and non-replenishing, so I wound up spending a lot of time in the dark. And I mean really dark- exploring was about as difficult as finding your way around a dark room at night. There were fiddly levers or buttons or something to open other parts of the dungeon, so this was a big problem.

At some point, a bug let me bypass the plot door that marked the end of the demo, allowing me to explore the rest of the game world. Parts of the game still didn't work, but I won't complain about that since I wasn't supposed to be there in the first place..

I recall having a good time with the game once I got into it (it took some time to get used to the combat system for sure, though).

I was just looking for my copy recently actually... but it seems to have vanished. The dev made it freeware in 2008, but it has since vanished from the face of the internet.

• 3 years later...
17 hours ago, River Linden said:

Someone must reup it.

I think you might have misunderstood fractalnavel, River Linden. The posted link is a working link to Homeland.

Also, and I hope you don't think I mean to be rude in pointing this out, but the daughter of the game's creator posted earlier in this thread. I'm all for positive criticism, but I'm not sure this is the best place to be plugging those old Homeland memes ... In fact, why not download the game yourself and give it a try? You might be pleasantly surprised!

Greetings, siennilox. You are very welcome on these boards!