Scarabs for Companions

zijudas

Scarabs can only be placed in the slots under the character on the inventory page in Avadon. You can transfer them anytime to inventory, but for usage you must be on the main floor of Avadon.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. When you reach the game designer's level, the answers will be crystal clear. :)

Oh geez, sorry, I'm an idiot. I knew I had to be in Avadon, but since my companions dissappeared I couldn't click on them to do things... I didn't realize I could still click on their portrait to get to their inventory!

Here's the thing– I haven't gamed since the 1990s. The kids are grown and moved out now (one has finished school and is an IT guy and has his own place, the other just finished a stint in the service and is going to school on the GI Bill) so I am an empty nester. I have something I haven't had in years, time!

I'm GenX and thank god I found Avadon when I searched around for games to get back into! Some of the newer games are, well, a bit much. I am really enjoying getting back into gaming with Avadon. I bought the second one as well, and will get the third. It seems like I could be playing these things for months!

Oh geez, sorry, I'm an idiot. I knew I had to be in Avadon, but since my companions dissappeared I couldn't click on them to do things... I didn't realize I could still click on their portrait to get to their inventory!

Here's the thing– I haven't gamed since the 1990s. The kids are grown and moved out now (one has finished school and is an IT guy and has his own place, the other just finished a stint in the service and is going to school on the GI Bill) so I am an empty nester. I have something I haven't had in years, time!

I'm GenX and thank god I found Avadon when I searched around for games to get back into! Some of the newer games are, well, a bit much. I am really enjoying getting back into gaming with Avadon. I bought the second one as well, and will get the third. It seems like I could be playing these things for months!

Welcome back to gaming, and you've chosen a good place to start! Avadon 1 is relatively short, by Spiderweb standards, but you can follow it up with five Geneforge games and five Avernum games (at the moment, until the Avernum 3 remake comes out), plus (if you feel like it) the throwback Nethergate: Resurrection, and you'll have enough to keep you busy for a LOOOONG time. Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Clarification: you must be on the main floor of Avadon to EQUIP or UNEQUIP scarabs. You can pass them between backpacks at any time. And if they are equipped, you can use their abilities at any time.

How? As far as I can tell, they do nothing and companions don't use them if mounted. Clicking on them just gets you a message saying that they can't be unmounted/mounted outside of the fortress. I'm sure I'm just not doing something correctly as this is my first play thru.

How? As far as I can tell, they do nothing and companions don't use them if mounted. Clicking on them just gets you a message saying that they can't be unmounted/mounted outside of the fortress. I'm sure I'm just not doing something correctly as this is my first play thru.

Abilities gained from scarabs get added to the bottom row of the character's ability list in the Use Ability menu, the same place you go to use abilities that they've bought with skill points.

Abilities gained from scarabs get added to the bottom row of the character's ability list in the Use Ability menu, the same place you go to use abilities that they've bought with skill points.

After I wrote that, I started thinking a bit harder and realized that there were additional items on the abilities menu - like two group heals in one case that didn't make sense - then the light bulb came on. If I had waited a few hours, I wouldn't asked what turns out to be a duh! question. Sorry about that and thanks for the reply.