A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

I was watching a Let's Play of Avernum 2 (in the original trilogy), and I saw that there used to be multitarget spells that required you to select individual targets.

Why hasn't this appeared in any of the Geneforge games, Second Trilogy Avernum, or Avadon?

If a "number of target limit" imposed, this could make some pretty nice abilities.

I think it's a great function that can serve as a go-between for single-target and 10-20ish size aoe and cones.

Regarding that last bit, Randomizer, IIRC Jeff was posting around here recently and mentioned he was going to find some way to target the square instead of the mob itself, didn't he? I don't remember the context though.

If you like multitarget spells, there's always Blades of Exile! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I for one love the architectural styles of the original Avernum series.

...I've been contemplating what Avernum and the world above would look like for some time now regarding weapons and architecture. Exile presented a more old-school fantasy vibe to things, original Avernum had that unique style mixed with cheerful Foglio art, and the new series looks like a reversion to contemporary high fantasy art standards. The challenge and fun would be finding how to blend everything together, I guess!

As per old mechanics which don't show up in the new games - I kind of miss the manual aiming of arrows and spell in Exile/Blades of Exile. It would be really nice to chuck fireballs at invisible units and do area fire against them, even if I had a reduced chance to hit. I've not yet encountered invisible units in BoE, but I can only assume that manual aiming can make things a little easier in those situations.

• 3 months later...

Area of effect spells were in Exile and brought back in the more recent games.

There was a problem with multi target spells in Avernum when the targets were on a slope and close together that caused you to only get one of them.

I seem to be bumping a lot lately but -- I've read that Avadon III will have collateral damage from spells so, if that is true, for area spells to work, targeting would likely be a must so, something may be working in this direction. Perhaps Avernum 9 will have this feature too.

Oh yes, that's very much true. Thankyou, Tyranicus, I thought I had missed some blog-post or an announcement of three more Avernum games. In hindsight, that would be a bit silly, seeing as how Avernum 6 basically concludes everything.

At least I can defend with the fact that I was 75% asleep by the time I wrote that. :p

Oh yes, that's very much true. Thankyou, Tyranicus, I thought I had missed some blog-post or an announcement of three more Avernum games. In hindsight, that would be a bit silly, seeing as how Avernum 6 basically concludes everything.

At least I can defend with the fact that I was 75% asleep by the time I wrote that. :p

It was my bad; I was nodding off too when I wrote that and just, as pointed out, continued the numbering system; Spiderweb isn't numbering it that way.

Let us hope that Jeff secretly reads these forums in his spare times when he's not rolling about in piles of cash and notices our nostalgic desire for continuation of the old series... :-P

Jeff reads these posts when he's really bored (home watching his offspring). :)