A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic
Aeolus Aeolus

Citizen

• Member ID: 8,145
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:57 PM #1 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

I was watching a Let's Play of Avernum 2 (in the original trilogy), and I saw that there used to be multitarget spells that required you to select individual targets.

Why hasn't this appeared in any of the Geneforge games, Second Trilogy Avernum, or Avadon?
If a "number of target limit" imposed, this could make some pretty nice abilities.

I think it's a great function that can serve as a go-between for single-target and 10-20ish size aoe and cones.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:39 PM #2 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

Area of effect spells were in Exile and brought back in the more recent games.  

There was a problem with multi target spells in Avernum when the targets were on a slope and close together that caused you to only get one of them.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:54 PM #3 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

Regarding that last bit, Randomizer, IIRC Jeff was posting around here recently and mentioned he was going to find some way to target the square instead of the mob itself, didn't he? I don't remember the context though.

If you like multitarget spells, there's always Blades of Exile! :D
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Aeolus Aeolus

Citizen

• Member ID: 8,145
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:44 PM #4 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

I couldn't bring myself to play Avernum 1 because of its graphics.
I don't think Exile will fare much better.
Forgive me for being uncultured :<

Deadeye Deadeye

New Arrival

• Member ID: 16,876
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:01 AM #5 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

View PostAeolus, on 03 August 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

I couldn't bring myself to play Avernum 1 because of its graphics.
I don't think Exile will fare much better.
Forgive me for being uncultured :<

you don't play these older games for the graphics... you play them for the quality of gameplay mechanics and story which is superb.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:37 PM #6 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

Hey, speak for yourself! I play them for the graphics. Andrew Hunter's beautiful pixel work has been a great influence and inspiration to me as an artist.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:18 PM #7 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

Me too.  I think the original, 1.0 version of Exile II's graphics were spectacular, personally.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Thaeris Thaeris

Citizen

• Member ID: 9,620
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:45 PM #8 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

I for one love the architectural styles of the original Avernum series.

...I've been contemplating what Avernum and the world above would look like for some time now regarding weapons and architecture. Exile presented a more old-school fantasy vibe to things, original Avernum had that unique style mixed with cheerful Foglio art, and the new series looks like a reversion to contemporary high fantasy art standards. The challenge and fun would be finding how to blend everything together, I guess!

As per old mechanics which don't show up in the new games - I kind of miss the manual aiming of arrows and spell in Exile/Blades of Exile. It would be really nice to chuck fireballs at invisible units and do area fire against them, even if I had a reduced chance to hit. I've not yet encountered invisible units in BoE, but I can only assume that manual aiming can make things a little easier in those situations.

lordhoff lordhoff

Mercenary

• Member ID: 17,810
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:30 PM #9 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

View PostRandomizer, on 01 August 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

Area of effect spells were in Exile and brought back in the more recent games.  

There was a problem with multi target spells in Avernum when the targets were on a slope and close together that caused you to only get one of them.

I seem to be bumping a lot lately but --  I've read that Avadon III will have collateral damage from spells so, if that is true, for area spells to work, targeting would likely be a must so, something may be working in this direction.  Perhaps Avernum 9 will have this feature too.

Zaego Zaego

Soldier

• Member ID: 9,936
  • 106 posts
  • LocationAvernum

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:08 AM #10 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

View Postlordhoff, on 07 February 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

... I've read that Avadon III ...  Perhaps Avernum 9 will have this feature too.

Avadon 3, ok.
Avernum 9, excuse me what? Have I missed something?

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:24 AM #11 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

View PostZaego, on 08 February 2016 - 04:08 AM, said:

Avadon 3, ok.
Avernum 9, excuse me what? Have I missed something?
Perhaps they are calling Escape from the Pit Avernum 7 and Crystal Souls Avernum 8. It's a weird way to organize the games, but it would explain the numbering.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Zaego Zaego

Soldier

• 106 posts
  • LocationAvernum

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:26 AM #12 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

Oh yes, that's very much true. Thankyou, Tyranicus, I thought I had missed some blog-post or an announcement of three more Avernum games. In hindsight, that would be a bit silly, seeing as how Avernum 6 basically concludes everything.

At least I can defend with the fact that I was 75% asleep by the time I wrote that. :p

lordhoff lordhoff

Mercenary

• Member ID: 17,810
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:31 PM #13 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

View PostZaego, on 08 February 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

Oh yes, that's very much true. Thankyou, Tyranicus, I thought I had missed some blog-post or an announcement of three more Avernum games. In hindsight, that would be a bit silly, seeing as how Avernum 6 basically concludes everything.

At least I can defend with the fact that I was 75% asleep by the time I wrote that. :p

It was my bad; I was nodding off too when I wrote that and just, as pointed out, continued the numbering system; Spiderweb isn't numbering it that way.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:37 PM #14 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

I am looking forward to Exile 12 in a couple of years :-)

Zaego Zaego

Soldier

• 106 posts
  • LocationAvernum

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:23 PM #15 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

View Postlordhoff, on 08 February 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

It was my bad...

No harm done. :-)

View PostEdgwyn, on 08 February 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

I am looking forward to Exile 12 in a couple of years :-)

Let us hope that Jeff secretly reads these forums in his spare times when he's not rolling about in piles of cash and notices our nostalgic desire for continuation of the old series... :-P

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:59 AM #16 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

Rolling in piles of cash.......The indie life!
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:26 AM #17 A feature that should be (re)added to all Spidweb games.

View PostZaego, on 08 February 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

Let us hope that Jeff secretly reads these forums in his spare times when he's not rolling about in piles of cash and notices our nostalgic desire for continuation of the old series... :-P
Jeff reads these posts when he's really bored (home watching his offspring).  :)
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users