Rock of Tahamaat

Alorael at Large

I ran across this nugget of a game by Vincent Baker (of Apocalypse World, Dogs in the Vineyard, and Mobile Frame Zero fame) and thought that it would be an interesting fit for forum play.

Rock of Tahamaat, Space Tyrant

This seems like it would be pretty interesting to run as a play-by-post with the wrinkle that it actually would work as a play-by-private-message where Rock of Tahamaat doesn't even know who the other players are or what they're up to except by what the informants tell him. Maybe even the other players don't know who any players are unless and until they seek each other out and find each other.

Of course, this still has most of the usual non-freeform PBP problems: slow play and requiring a very active GM. But at least it's like a set of connected player-and-GM games and can't get quite as held up by one player.

It also could be very easily reskinned as a game about Emperor Hawthorne and those who suffer under his reign, for that Avernum flair.

Thoughts?

—Alorael, who is aware that this exists more or less as a Forge-derived experiment in resolution mechanics. (If that doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry about it; it's heavy tabletop RPG wonkery.) It still looks like a fun and interesting game.

This looks interesting, and I'd be willing to participate in a test-run of it to see if it would work out.

I could also see some sort of Geneforge version in which Ghaldring becomes the Drakon Emperor of Terrestia, or else Barzahl, Trajkov, Rawal... The Geneforge, basically, gives godlike powers that could be akin to the Rock of Tahamaat.

I can't really think of an Avadon equivalent. Not even Redbeard is that powerful.

I agree that this would work better in chat (or in person) than by post. However, as someone with an irregular, fairly unpredictable, and demanding schedule, I'm not sure I can actually come up with reasonable times to play reliably by chat.

—Alorael, who will give this a few more days to percolate and then see about kicking it off. His unpredictable schedule is about to change (unpredictably, of course) so he'll see.