Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,345
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:50 PM #1 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

Now, it would be very easy to make a town that you had to pass through to get from one area to another.

For example, in "The Fog", there is a river dividing the map, and the bridge is a town.  You enter the town on the south side of the river, and exit on the north and vice versa, you have to go through the town, there's no other way to cross the bridge.

This is something I don't recall seeing much of, however.  You have exceptions like Fort Emergence in E3, which links the surface with upper exile, and a few places where you have to fight through a dungeon to get to the next part.  Which seems odd, as fortresses dominating routes and preventing people/monsters moving past them would seem to be sorta the point of having them.

But it's rare to have a a route you might want to follow more than once for other reasons that requires you to enter and leave a town you otherwise aren't interested in going to.

Is this because it's annoying?  I thought it could get a bit annoying in The Fog, going into town mode and out again just added to tedious traveling, but that might have just been me.  And that was a fairly straightforward route through the town, didn't have to navigate windy passageways or anything.

Thinking of (finally getting round to) making a scenario in which towns you had to walk through to get places would feature.  But not sure if this would be a good idea, or would cause traveling back and forth to drag.

(Also, need another word for "Aftershock", because that'd be a great name for my scenario, only it's been taken)

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:00 AM #2 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

This happened in E3 not just with Fort Emergence, but later there is a big wall blocking entrance into Footracer Province, and another earlier on blocking another province (I can't remember which). I believe at least the earlier one can be avoid via portal in that wizard's house in Krizsan Province. E1 had a few different ways to get to the Great Cave, but the easiest way was through Almaria, exactly like you say is in "The Fog": Walk over a river bridge, no choice but to walk through Almaria, and actually you have to pay a toll too IIRC. THAT can be annoying.

I don't remember if Almaria does this, but an option could be, once you've been through town once, you have the opportunity to skip straight through it with a special node: "You've come to Hippopotamus Town again. It's a lovely town, but would you like to pass through quickly?" (Yes) (No)

EDIT: Actually I don't think there's a town, just a special encounter, at the earlier wall. I never made it to Footracer Province so I don't know about there.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff, 29 July 2015 - 01:01 AM.

The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• 302 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:22 AM #3 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

View PostThe Almighty Doer of Stuff, on 29 July 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

This happened in E3 not just with Fort Emergence, but later there is a big wall blocking entrance into Footracer Province, and another earlier on blocking another province (I can't remember which). I believe at least the earlier one can be avoid via portal in that wizard's house in Krizsan Province.

EDIT: Actually I don't think there's a town, just a special encounter, at the earlier wall. I never made it to Footracer Province so I don't know about there.

Footracer is via a special encounter (IIRC) yeah, and if you mean Bigail for the other one, that's because you have to go via ferry, and you don't generally flit back and forth from there anyway.

View PostThe Almighty Doer of Stuff, on 29 July 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

I don't remember if Almaria does this, but an option could be, once you've been through town once, you have the opportunity to skip straight through it with a special node: "You've come to Hippopotamus Town again. It's a lovely town, but would you like to pass through quickly?" (Yes) (No)

Ah, that sounds like a good idea, will consider that.  Thanks!

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,880 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:42 PM #4 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

Almaria can only be bypassed with the Orb.

E3 also had the connected series of dungeons for the troglodytes and giants that once you brought down the barriers allowed you to pass through them instead of by the outside route.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:49 AM #5 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

View PostRandomizer, on 30 July 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

Or a boat.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:35 AM #6 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 31 July 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

View PostRandomizer, on 30 July 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

Or a boat.
Im still bitter about that being taken away in A2:CS.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• 302 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:12 AM #7 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

Oh, is there a way to set the locations you end up in when you leave a town from different directions to be in different outdoor sections?  For example, Fort Emergence in E3, the north exit is in Valorim, the south in Upper Exile.  Cause I played around with one of those 3x1 towns straddling the border of two sections to avoid the max 8 town entries per section thing (though admittedly not for long) and didn't get it to work.

Now that I think of it, I can't think of a town in another BoE scenario which had town exists in different sections.  The Valley of Dying Things had at least 3 ways to get from the underground caves back to the surface, but, IIRC, each was part of a multi layered dungeon.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:30 AM #8 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

View PostThaluikhain, on 20 August 2015 - 03:12 AM, said:

Oh, is there a way to set the locations you end up in when you leave a town from different directions to be in different outdoor sections?  For example, Fort Emergence in E3, the north exit is in Valorim, the south in Upper Exile.  Cause I played around with one of those 3x1 towns straddling the border of two sections to avoid the max 8 town entries per section thing (though admittedly not for long) and didn't get it to work.

You can't do this directly by setting the town exits themselves, but it can be done: what you want to do is use the Change Outdoor Location special node and place it in a spot the party has to pass over while approaching the exit.

Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• 302 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:37 AM #9 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

Ah, thanks, that makes sense.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:11 AM #10 Towns blocking/connecting outdoor areas, annoying or not?

That might be a decent new feature idea, though: Setting not just the coordinates of the tile in the outdoors section, but also which outdoors section. I'll suggest it to CM.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users