Here's an interview with Lord Vogel. Read it.

nikki.

I think I remember Jeff writing in an old "Bottom Feeder" blog entry that he had a serious, perhaps even life-threatening medical issue to deal with in his late teens. I say this with seriousness: It might have made him grow older faster than most people (even if only in spirit) and made him hyper-sensitive towards his limited time on Earth.

On a lighter, more RPG'ish note...aren't programming and game design "wizards" with beards grumpy by nature once in a while in their stone mage towers?

Thanks for the explanations, that was interesting. Makes a lot of sense too.

Perhaps it would be helpful on forums if you were more specific. Different people pay attention to different elements in a game, so saying "a game like X" will get you all kinds of responses unless you specify what you like about it. For example, with SF you mention liking the walkabout exploration, the lack of attrition, the lack of long turns requiring deep analysis, and the fluidity of the UI. I bet asking for games with as many of those elements as possible might get you improved answers. You'd probably get fewer answers of Fire Emblem, anyway.

But you see, the problem is not getting the wrong suggestions because the requirements weren't clear enough, but rather that the people just don't know the hidden gems.

If I'm more specific, the replies will eventually stop.

That's the whole problem. If you like a specific niche and only few games are released, you will hear about every single game, but there's nothing you actually want to play. If there are too many games released, there are games you'd like to play, but you'll never hear about them unless you are lucky.

I've been through both phases now. 2010-2013 being the "no good games anymore" phase and 2013-2015 being the "too many games released so you can never find the one you're looking for" phase.

• 3 weeks later...

There are people way older than you working way harder (seriously, he should follow my 64 year old dad around for a week, who still works full time and who doesn't work from home at his computer all day).

I'm 10 years younger than him and am depressed about how old I am-- have been since age 21. Maybe, just throwing this out, but maybe Vogel is like me, in that he has a near phobia of aging. My mom and dad both had me in their 30's, and are the youngest of many siblings (5 on my mom's side, 7 on my dad's) So I spent most of my childhood and young-adult life watching almost everyone around me suffer from the wracks of aging. I already notice that I have exponentially less energy than I did when I was 25, and it gets worse every year-- compound this with mental problems, and I have trouble going out and doing stuff. Oh, and having peterpan syndrome doesn't help. Adulthood sucks unless you had an abusive childhood.

So seriously, give him some slack. Jeff is also at the right age for mid-life crisis.

"Adulthood sucks unless you had an abusive childhood."

Trust me, as someone with an abusive childhood, adulthood still sucks. :(

Last night I was thinking and I had to stop myself because I'm in a depressive state right now: I'm 27. 27 x 3 = 81. I'm probably a third of my way through life right now. I'll be lucky if I live as long as I did only twice more. When I think about it I feel frightened, so I try not to.

Well, yeah, you're absolutely right. When I said that, I was thinking more along the line of "look forward to"

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, man. You're lucky that you CAN stop yourself. Me, I generally can't, because I obsess over whatever is seriously bothering me. Oh, and when upset, angry, or agitated, I suffer from paranoid delusions and maladaptive assumption (no matter what evidence is presented to me, I find some way to spin it negatively. E.g. if presented with undeniable proof that someone cares about me while I'm having delusions that they don't-- I then become certain that they're only pretending to care). I also have a rather vivid imagination with no off switch-- these three things do NOT make for a healthy combination, believe me. Luckily, I'm a completely different person when upset, so normally I don't suffer from any of those problems sans the vivid imagination.

What Slarty said, and also,

You're lucky that you CAN stop yourself. Me, I generally can't, because I obsess over whatever is seriously bothering me. Oh, and when upset, angry, or agitated, I suffer from paranoid delusions and maladaptive assumption (no matter what evidence is presented to me, I find some way to spin it negatively. E.g. if presented with undeniable proof that someone cares about me while I'm having delusions that they don't-- I then become certain that they're only pretending to care). I also have a rather vivid imagination with no off switch-- these three things do NOT make for a healthy combination, believe me.

I get all that too. It's possible to recover still. It was partly luck in that I stumbled into the right supports at the right time, but a lot of it was just stubborn determination and a desire to be happier.

As for Jeff, we don't know what his health issue is. He may have developed a mental illness, he may have hurt his back, he may have cancer or a degenerative illness that will result in his agonized premature death in ten years. He didn't say and he doesn't have to say, regardless of what it is. It's his right to feel old and to express such, regardless of his literal chronological age or relative health. I wear a shirt that says, "It's OK to be OK, & It's OK to be NOT OK" and when I designed it I meant it.

• 4 weeks later...

"I wish that a few gaming websites would just step forward and bite the bullet and say, "Okay, every once in a while we're gonna wade through this garbage and once a week, we're gonna post about one game that you haven't heard of that we think is pretty cool."" there's a few youtubers who kind of do this already. angrycentaurgaming and northernlion (though northernlion mostly does roguelike/roguelite games) come to mind.

Edited by Kelandon
Making font non-distracting

• 1 month later...

"Adulthood sucks unless you had an abusive childhood."

Trust me, as someone with an abusive childhood, adulthood still sucks. :(

Last night I was thinking and I had to stop myself because I'm in a depressive state right now: I'm 27. 27 x 3 = 81. I'm probably a third of my way through life right now. I'll be lucky if I live as long as I did only twice more. When I think about it I feel frightened, so I try not to.

Hi. To all those people who feel like this, you might need to go through material on Arthur Deikman's site, and look up "personal freedom" and "Sufism and psychiatry". There is some material that will help you now, some not and some later. Then again seeking support will be more than enough.

• 7 months later...