Avernum 5 - Lysstak's lair - tamable rat...

Chak

I have to stop playing for a moment to let out my frustration.

That tamable rat that follows you around Lysstak's lair? The one that fights alongside you, and affectionately brushes up against your legs?

WHY CAN IT NOT FOLLOW ME DOWN THE STAIRS, AND THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE GAME?

I was desperately healing it and looking forward to having a rodent companion with me. I would refrain from allowing it to battle just so that it's safe. I would carry if down the stairs, if it couldn't walk itself.

I AM HEARTBROKEN. I DON'T WANT TO CONTINUE WITH MY JOURNEY BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE MY RAT.

I think I will go all the way up to visit it every now and then throughout the game. This doesn't mean I'm not upset.

I didn't want to leave it behind. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of a shame you didn't allow it into battle. That thing kicks arse, if I recall correctly. I didn't have any trouble keeping it alive during the fight with Lysstak and it did quite a bit of damage. (On normal difficulty, though. Not sure how well it does on higher levels.)

Its damage output is disappointing on Torment, especially since it'll miss a lot, but it still has a fair chunk of HP and can make a good distraction.