Spiderweb Forums Recipe Hub

Jerakeen

Yes, it's what you've all been waiting for, a place to post your favorite recipes for your fellow 'webbers to discuss and enjoy!

You've all been waiting for that, right?

No?

Well, I'll start.

Jerakeen's Bars o'Fun

PrQcxqQ.jpg

These are a super satisfying snack when you're hungry, and the way I make them, they're pretty high in both protein and fiber.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can put in anything you like: dried fruit, nuts, seeds, toasted oats, cereal, whatever, in whatever proportions you want, as long as you end up with roughly 9 to 10 cups.

The trick for me is getting the sweetness just right. You want them to be delicious enough that they're a pleasure to eat, but not so delicious that you can't stop eating them. My latest version is just about perfect for my taste, so I thought I'd share it. Everything is unsalted, and I prefer to buy nuts and seeds raw and toast them myself where possible, but again, that's up to you.

Dry Ingredients

1/2 cup hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds)

3/4 cup dried blueberries

3/4 cup dried tart cherries

1 cup crisp rice cereal

1 cup blanched peanuts

1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds, toasted

1 1/2 cups hulled sunflower seeds, toasted

1 1/2 cups blanched slivered almonds, toasted

1 1/2 cups unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut, toasted

Syrup Ingredients

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed

1/2 cup liquid honey

1/4 teaspoon salt

Set aside a pan to press the mixture into. I use a non-stick 11x17x1" jelly roll pan, which is perfect. If you don't have one, any large cookie sheet with a raised edge will do. If it's not non-stick, line it with parchment paper.

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a very large bowl*.

To make the syrup, combine the butter, sugar, and honey in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat, stir until smooth. Continue to stir occasionally until the mixture reaches a full rolling boil. Let it boil for another 90 seconds without stirring, then remove from heat and stir in the salt.

Carefully pour the hot mixture into the bowl, and stir very thoroughly until the dry ingredients are coated. Spread the mixture evenly into your prepared pan, pressing it down firmly - the base of a dry measuring cup is good for this.

Set the pan on a rack, loosely covered with wax paper, to cool completely. When cool, turn it out onto a large cutting board and cut it into bars or squares of whatever size you want. Store airtight at room temperature for... honestly I have no idea; they've never been around long enough to go bad. Makes about 40 bars.

*It occurs to me that a lot of people won't actually have a big enough bowl for this. But it also occurs to me that it would be very easy to cut this recipe in half. I don't do that, because if I'm making these, I want lots!

Okay, your turn. What recipe are you currently excited about, proud of, happy with? Mildly satisfied by? Post it here, all the cool kids are doing it!

To my fellow mods, I deliberately didn't sticky this post, and I'd like to leave it that way for now; if it falls off the front page, it deserves to. :p

Delicious Lentils

1 cup red lentils

1.5 cups water (More water if you want the result more like soup and less like stew; I wouldn't use less)

1 onion (Medium? Small? I never know what onion sizes mean.)

A good chunk of ginger. (Again, sizes are hard to judge; I'll go with maybe an inch or two. I’ve used ginger powder, ginger paste, and fresh ginger. Paste worked okay, powder not so well, fresh really was better.)

Infinite garlic cloves, peeled. (I like garlic. You'd probably want at least five cloves, but I've used at least ten.)

1-2 fresh chiles. (This depends on taste. I like it with a couple of jalapeños, but one is enough for many people, and of course you can leave it out if you dislike spice.)

1.5 tsp mustard seeds

4 tbsp neutral oil

1 tsp ground cumin

0.5 tsp ground turmeric

0.25 tsp sweet paprika

1 3/4 cups chopped tomatoes (I've used fresh or canned. They're about the same, but canned tend to have more liquid, which means a soupier result, which I like.)

2 tsp sugar

1.5 tbps lime juice

Salt

1/3 cup unsalted buter (You can leave it out, but you'll taste the difference.)

Wash the lentils, then soak in the 1.5 cups of water for at least 30 minutes. While you're doing that, start the next part.

Onion, ginger, garlic, and chile go in a food processor to chop coarsely. You can do it by hand, but it's a pain.

Put a pot over medium heat and put in the mustard seeds. They'll pop like popcorn. Be patient, it can take a few minutes, and you probably want to cover the pot so the seeds don't bounce everywhere. Pour the chopped mix from the food processor and add the oil. Cook over lowish heat for ten minutes or so, stirring every couple of minutes, then add the spices and stir them in over a couple of minutes. If you have fresh tomatoes, chop them now.

When the 30 minutes soak is up add the lentils with all the soaking water, the sugar, and some salt. You'll have to do this one to taste; I'm not much of a salt fan. Simmer over low heat for something like 45 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the consistency is how you want it. You can cook off more water or add extra to thicken or thin the soup/stew. Stir the butter and some lime juice to the pot, let the butter melt, and you're done!

Yogurt:

Greek Yogurt

Cucumber

Olive Oil

Garlic, if you want something more like raita

I use one big cucumber, throw it in the food processor, and chop finely but not into paste. Measure how much that is, add an equal amount of yogurt, add a dollop of olive oil, sometimes the minced garlic.

Serve yogurt over the lentils, or just eat it on its own.

—Alorael, who currently eats this as his weekly staple food. It has the virtue of keeping well and being extremely scalable, really up to your largest pot size.

I've been attempting to be Paleo for a handful of years now with varying success, and one of my biggest weaknesses has always been Chinese-American Takeout. A couple weeks ago I read a piece on IQS about Tamari (link: https://iquitsugar.c...i-or-soy-sauce/ ) and it got me thinking - can I conjure up an easy to make substitute for General Tso's that won't knock my diet off track?

I did a little digging around online searching for "paleo General Tso" and other similar queries until I came across this recipe ( http://www.delicious...l-tsos-chicken/ ) upon which I loosely based this experiment. Behold, my easy/lazy paleo-ish "General Tso" recipe:

First let's get the ingredients out of the way, enough of it to feed a family dinner:

3 lb. raw boneless skinless chicken thighs

1 12-oz bag of frozen broccoli

1 12-oz bag chopped white onion

4 oz. minced garlic cloves

1 6-oz. bag shredded or julienne carrots

a pack of arrowroot flour

some combination of lard, coconut oil, and unsalted butter

light olive oil

red pepper flakes, sea salt, black pepper,

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

a bottle of tamari

WP_20150703_23_48_28_Pro.jpg

Start by cutting the chicken into bite-size pieces and cooking it. You could bake it or have it ready from a slow cooker already, but I used a skillet on medium and it worked just fine.

http://s5.postimg.or...0_05_02_Pro.jpg

Once the chicken's cooked, strain and set it aside, but save just a little bit of the drippings for later.In another bowl mix 1 cup arrowroot flour with a nice rounded teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

WP_20150704_00_40_29_Pro.jpg

Now drizzle two tablespoons tamari over the chicken and then roll the chicken into the mixture, turn it until it's nice and coated. You'll notice it gets a bit sticky. You want this, but it also means you'll have to be careful when you're frying the chicken.

WP_20150704_00_43_43_Pro.jpg WP_20150704_00_48_19_Pro.jpg

Now use half a cup of good cooking fat and melt it in a wok. I used 1/4 cup lard and 1/4 cup coconut oil in mine. You can experiment with different ratios of lard, butter, and coconut oil, but what I did worked pretty well for this.

http://s5.postimg.or...0_52_57_Pro.jpg

Once it's good and melted, put in the coated chicken and make sure it cooks and browns on all sides. I somehow neglected to get a picture of the chicken cooking, but there's probably a good reason: you can't just set it and forget it. Be sure to keep minding your chicken as it cooks or else it will turn into one stuck-together mass. Once the chicken's done, set it aside. Top off the cooking fat in the wok with a spoonful of lard and a splash of the saved drippings, then add the onions.

WP_20150704_01_15_05_Pro.jpg

Make sure you add the onions promptly. Having just a couple in there will get them burnt up or make smoke; you want to put them all in. Then add a splash of light olive oil and a pinch of sea salt; this will bring out the character in the onions. Sautee for a couple minutes and add the garlic (in my case the onion and garlic were together in a blend; I would recommend doing them separately if possible). This is a good time to add a splash of cooking wine if you want. Sautee for a couple more minutes, and stir in garlic powder to taste - I recommend about half a teaspoon. Then add the broccoli to the sautee along with two teaspoons red pepper flakes.

http://s5.postimg.or...1_44_43_Pro.jpg

Once the broccoli and red pepper flakes are in you'll want to sautee it for about eight minutes. You can use that time to get the carrots ready, and to prepare a tamari sauce. In a small bowl combine 2/3 cups tamari, 1/2 cup water, and 2 tbsp arrowroot flour and mix it well, and then keep it ready. You can also use this time to pull apart the clumps of chicken - they'll be cool enough to handle now. After the broccoli's eight minutes of fame are up, add the carrots. It might look like a crazy amount of carrots as you're adding it, but don't fear - it will all blend in well in the end.

WP_20150704_01_36_56_Pro.jpg

After the carrots are added sautee for five more minutes, and then add the sauce to the sautee; stir in the sauce and then finally add the chicken and one more splash of those drippings. Blend well and increase the heat to medium or medium-high to bring it all together and make sure the chicken's nice and hot.

WP_20150704_01_53_21_Pro.jpg

My wok wasn't quite big enough for the job. You'll need a big wok. Or to maybe not be a crazy person cooking 3 lbs of chicken. Pick out your side dishes and serve in your finest plastic dish.

http://s5.postimg.org/qney3z5s7/WP_20150704_01_54_52_Pro.jpg

I designed both these bulk recipes for ease of preparation and simplicity. I don't add salt but you may wish to. Separate them into individual meals in containers. I don't know what temperatures to set the stove to.

EASY BULK GROUND TURKEY & VEGETABLES

Ingredients:

5 lbs ground turkey

4 lbs frozen diced mixed vegetables

1 lb frozen Brussels sprouts

3 tbsp olive oil

1. Brown the turkey in a large pan, chopping it to little pieces with a spatula.

2. When the turkey is browned, add all the vegetables and olive oil.

3. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are cooked and turkey has reached 175 degrees Fahrenheit/80 degrees Celsius.

4. Season however you like.

---------------

EASY BULK RICE, BEANS, & SWEET POTATOES

Ingredients:

2 cups dried brown rice

1 lb dried beans of your choice

3 large orange sweet potatoes

3 tbsp olive oil

1. Sift, rinse, & soak the beans overnight, if necessary. (Peas and lentil do not need soaking, usually.)

2. The next day, drain and rinse the beans again. Wash the sweet potatoes.

3a. In a large pot, boil the rice according to instructions, until it has absorbed all the water.

3b. Cook the beans according to instructions.

3c. Microwave the sweet potatoes until they are mushy, then chop them into smallish pieces, being careful not to burn your hands.

4. When all three ingredients are cooked, combine them together in a large pan, stirring until evenly heated and mixed.

5. Season however you like.

I've been attempting to be Paleo for a handful of years now with varying success, and one of my biggest weaknesses has always been Chinese-American Takeout. A couple weeks ago I read a piece on IQS about Tamari (link: https://iquitsugar.c...i-or-soy-sauce/ ) and it got me thinking - can I conjure up an easy to make substitute for General Tso's that won't knock my diet off track?

Slightly off-topic (???), but why are you interested in paleo? I don't understand its appeal as a dietary choice.

I'm working on coming up with an interesting recipe. I'm a vegetarian with a pretty repetitive diet, so I'm not coming up with much. The occasional curry, lots of stirfry, pasta, sometimes tacos... Nothing too exciting. That said, I've got some nice dessert recipes I can probably share, once I dig them up.

Slightly off-topic (???), but why are you interested in paleo? I don't understand its appeal as a dietary choice.

I'm working on coming up with an interesting recipe. I'm a vegetarian with a pretty repetitive diet, so I'm not coming up with much. The occasional curry, lots of stirfry, pasta, sometimes tacos... Nothing too exciting. That said, I've got some nice dessert recipes I can probably share, once I dig them up.

I went to school for biochemistry and now I'm in a dietetics programme. Once I have my licensure I'll be working toward a med program in endocrinology. You can say I have a deep interest in a couple controversial topics - that is, a mother's prenatal food intake / nutrition and its consequence on hormone levels and foetal development, as well as nutrition of infants and very young children and its related consequences; as pertains to developmental disorders in particular.

Paleo-like diets (not strict paleo "if caveman didn't have it you can't" - that's a bit nonsense) tend to hit on all the proper marks for the sort of... mmm.. bioavailability of essential nutrients, enzymes, hormones, conditions, etc, for healthy development, but without tonnes more research than is already present, I couldn't call it anything better than circumstantial. On a personal level, I had weight and depression issues for most of my life. In my teenage years and early 20s I contemplated suicide several times; at one point I weighed nearly 300 lbs. Going paleo made biological sense, so I gave it a shot and indeed... I've become a rather fit and good-spirited person.

I'd stop well short of calling it a good solution for everyone though - nobody's digestive and endocrine systems are the same as another person's. If pressed I would boil it down to three particular things being poisonous to humans: fructose, phytic acid, and artificial sweeteners [especially aspartame]. Sugar is not sugar, despite what the HFCS industry wants us to hear: humans are designed/evolved/made (whatever your fancy) to use glucose; fructose has to be processed by the liver. But the bit of fructose surrounded by the oodles of fiber in your typical piece of fruit never really hurt anyone. A mega blast of concentrated fructose, like in HFCS however... phytic acid is a substance found in most grains, nuts, and legumes that binds to vitamins and prevents you absorbing them. Again, the little bit in sprouted whole grains and nuts (like people used to eat) never hurt anyone but the megatonnes of processed white flour in everything these days... and what artificial sweeteners do, even if they technically have no calories, is trick your pancreas into releasing lots of insulin -- so not only is every last carb you *do* eat going to get sent right to fat, but you're going to have elevated insulin and build insulin resistance in a rather bad way. Your diet cokes are not helping your diabeetus -- they're exacerbating it. (Aspartame gets bonus points for also being poison!)

Notice I didn't attack gluten. Some people unfortunately have Celiac Disease and other conditions. For most, the gluten stuff is a fad. However, most gluten foods are also high phytic acid foods, hence the paleo in spite of my objection to that objection.

But, different people have different bodies and different tolerances. For some people none of this is a problem at all. For others it's why when they get old they put on a few pounds. And for some it's why they get mega-diabeetus in their 20s. Everyone's different. But for me, it's appropriate.

As another vegetarian, I will proclaim that while stir-fry recipes are really variations on a simple theme, they can be very different and very delicious and it's worth mentioning if you hit on a particularly good combination. Especially if it's low effort preparation. I'll agree that vegetables, meat/tofu, oil, sauce. and heat is a reliable combination.

You're the dietician in training, Hogan, not me, but I'm a little skeptical. High fructose corn syrup I'm ambivalent on; it certainly isn't helping by being everywhere, but I've seen no convincing evidence that it's worse than having an excess of glucose in all our food. Either way, it's at the very least glycemic spikes and calories we can do without. Phytic acid reduces mineral availability in vitro and in some in vivo studies, but again, the actual evidence of harm or benefit (the jury's out) is mixed and scant. And you're vastly oversimplifying how artificial sweeteners interact with insulin and blood sugar, as I understand it; taste buds have no direct line to the pancreas and there's no direct stimulation of insulin release, but affects on gut flora have been linked to bad things. It's not a simple relationship, though!

My suspicion is even more raised when you take potshots at aspartame, which after its highly publicized and politicized downfall has turned out to be, as best a large number of high-power studies can see, harmless (except to those with phenylketonuria). It doesn't cause cancer. It isn't toxic at any plausibly attainable dose. It is, in fact, more thoroughly demonstrated as safe than sweeteners in wide use in the USA.

I'm all for eating a diet that's less processed, more plant-rich, and lower in calories generally and sugar especially, but I think there's just not high-quality evidence for any particular nutrients or anti-nutrients as the good or bad actors. I'm happy to be pointed at key papers showing otherwise!

And to stay on topic...

Shakshuka by way of Scandinavia

12-15 fresh tomatoes, chopped. (Roma are good, but you can use anything fresh. Canned is much less delicious.)

Garlic, minced (To taste. I use practically an entire bulb.)

Oregano (It'll make this taste a bit tomato sauce-like. Omit if that bothers you. I love oregano.)

Olive oil

Salt

pepper

4-8+ Eggs

Spinach, chopped roughly

Chop the tomatoes roughly, put in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add a healthy dollop of olive oil, probably around 1-2 tbsp but this is an eyeballing dish for me. You can simmer for really as long as you like, stirring occasionally. The taste changes, so figure out how you prefer it. I usually give it 20-30 minutes, adding the minced garlic around midway through.

When you've decided the simmering has gone long enough crack the eggs into the mixture, spacing them out so they don't stick together. My spouse prefers the eggs dropped in separately and minimal stirring so that they end up intact poached in the tomatoes; I like stirring the eggs so they break up a bit and are smaller and more distributed in the mix. She also goes for as many eggs as can fit; I usually want fewer. Depending on heat it will take around 5-10 minutes to cook the eggs, of course also depending on whether you want the eggs still runny or hard-boiled. The best way to test is to just poke and see how runny the yolks are.

Once the eggs are done, turn off the heat and stir the spinach into the tomato soup. It works best if you add it a little bit at a time, submerging it thoroughly. The heat in the soup will cook the spinach slightly without giving you gross overcooked spinach mush. Again, you can add it earlier if you like more cooked spinach.

The point of this food: it's hearty, quite quick (especially if you skimp on simmering time), and can be made in batches as large as your pot.

—Alorael, who hasn't actually cooked in an embarrassingly long time. His current work schedule has turned his eating habits into everything he has always striven to avoid: expensive, unhealthy, and often not even very tasty.

Butter Spice Cake

I got this recipe from my mother, but I don't know the original source. Probably a magazine. The cool thing about it is that you start by making a streusel topping, and then use most of that as the base of the cake mixture. Also, it tastes really good and is simple to make.

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

pinch of salt

1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9" square cake pan, and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar and butter, and rub together by hand until crumbly. Separate 3/4 cup of mixture to use as streusel topping and set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Beat at low speed just until mixed. Add the remaining flour mixture and continue to beat on low speed, just until mixed.

Pour batter into your prepared pan, then sprinkle with reserved streusel. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes, until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.

I don't mean to nitpick, but are you sure the ratio is one box to one bottle? That seems like it would produce ketchup with some macaroni floating in it.

—Alorael, who just made Mexican chocolate tofu pudding. He violated the instructions and used old, not very good chocolate chips, and his ratios were off. It still came out quite tasty, and it takes all of about ten minutes to make it.

My stirfry recipe has served me well as a nutritious and yummy meal.

Ingredients

1 block of firm tofu

1 bell pepper

1/2 head of broccoli

1/2 gold onion

1/2 cup of mushrooms

1 cup of rice

Curry powder

Another spice of your choice (I like roasted red pepper, garlic, and ginger)

Salt

Canola oil

Prep

Drain the tofu, making sure to pat out any of the excess liquid.

Cut it up. I like to cube it, but long strips are good too.

Julienne the bell pepper.

Cube the onions.

Break the broccoli into smaller heads, don't waste the stalks.

Cooking

Bring about 2 1/4 cups of water in a pot to a boil. Generally, the ratio is supposed to be 2:1 water to rice, but some always gets lost in boiling and I think it's better to risk being overcooked than undercooked. Once boiling, add some salt and the rice. Leave this on a low-medium heat - it will take a while.

Add some canola oil to a pan at a medium heat. Add the tofu, and give a healthy dusting with the curry powder. This will get into the oil and infuse everything else with the flavor, as well as making sure your tofu is flavorful and not bland.

Add the broccoli on top, with a sprinkle of your additional spices.

Add the bell peppers, then the onions, then the mushrooms. At this point, add a dash of salt to the mix as well as a light sprinkle of curry powder and your additional spice.

At this point, focus on stirring occasionally, focusing specifically on the onions and the broccoli, which require the most work to cook properly. Make sure everything gets a chance on the bottom of the pan, and don't leave all the tofu down there too long or else it will burn. Any ingredients that haven't gotten spiced at this point can get a little more, but be careful not to overdo it.

Once you're sure that all the ingredients in the stirfry are cooked, set the pan to a low simmer. I generally have to wait a few more minutes after this for the rice to finish; you'll know that's done when all of the water is evaporated.

Spread the rice out on the plates, putting the stirfry over the rice to let some of the flavors seep down and boost the flavors of the rice. Serve hot. Enjoy!

Eggs and Salami (Jewish Comfort Food)

Coat the bottom of a frying pan with vegetable oil. Places small slices of kosher salami across the bottom to cover about two thirds of the pan. Then mix 2 or 3 eggs and pour on top. Cook until the eggs are firm and no longer runny. The remove from the pan and eat.

It's kosher, not healthy. :)

Alan King has a recipe version in his book, Are Salami and Eggs Better Than Sex, that use butter instead of oil.

If you are making macaroni and cheese (or "Kraft dinner" as we call it in Canada) without adding milk and butter, then you are missing out. No wonder you need ketchup.

Ooh, look at Jerakeen and her fancy-pants name for kay-dee.

(Try substituting ketchup with salsa sometime. In fact, using salsa instead of ketchup is pretty much a strict upgrade. Never make meatloaf with boring ketchup again.)

(Some friends recommended having KD with seasoning salt. Your mileage may vary.)

(This has been a gourmet edition of Fod with Dintiradan.)

• 2 months later...

White Chicken Chili

Great as a cold evening dinner, this tasty and filling vegetarian dish serves 3 hungry people (plus leftovers!) for $6.

Ingredients:

DSC_2316.jpg

• 2 chicken breasts
  • 2 cans chicken broth
  • 3 cans great northern beans
  • Minced garlic
  • Crushed red pepper
  • Salt and pepper
  • (optional) rolls (i prefer bolillo rolls)
  • (optional) cheese (i prefer colby jack)

[spoileralt=How Does]First, throw the beans and broth into an crock pot. set crock pot to high.

DSC_2317.jpg

Add this much salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to the crock pot (adjust to taste):

DSC_2318-20.jpg

(pepperoni for scale)

Add this much minced garlic to the crock pot. I also like to add a bit of the garlic juice that's in the jar, but if you are un vampir then i wouldn't recommend it.

DSC_2325.jpg

(pepperoni for scale)

Get your chicken breasts and wash them to remove the cooties. Toss a pan on the stove and lube it up with a touch of oil. Once it's hottish toss the chicken on. I like to add a bit of salt and pepper to the chicken as well:

DSC_2331.jpg

Cook the chicken. Remember, if it's pink, it has cooties!:

DSC_2332.jpg

(salmonella for scale)

Use a couple forks (or your teeth or whatever, i don't judge) to pull the chicken apart. you can also just cut it into bits, but that's lame.

DSC_2334.jpg

Toss the chicken bits in the crock pot, stir it all up, and go to work or whatever you lot do. come back in many hours and it'll be lovely.

DSC_2339.jpg

Throw some in a bowl, add some cheese on top, and eat with a roll.

[/spoileralt]

the broth was $0.79 each at King Soopers (which is Yet Another Name for Kroger), and the beans were $0.69 (i'm sure you could save more by buying dried beans or something, but who has time for that?). The two chicken bits were $2.29. That brought me to $5.94.

Rolls and cheese aside (which are, of course, optional to go with the meal), everything else is spices which I imagine you should already have laying around. I didn't factor the cost of those into it, but I would assume it's negligible.

Edited by sylae
i am so not anal enough to calculate how much pepper i used, mostly because i use a pepperoni for scale, not a scale for scale

Enjoy your big bastion of civilization cost of living premium!

—Alorael, who writes as a refugee from a food desert. But he now lives within blocks of grocery stores and enjoys it very much. He also writes this after eating a (leftover) meal of the lentils described above after an entire day without eating and he is full of repleteness and satisfaction.