Geneforge 3 - Canistes

I've been having trouble finding this information, sorry if it's been asked before. I read that the number of canisters you use affects the ending of Geneforge 3 (6 or more, apparently). Is this regardless of which faction you join, or is it like Geneforge 2 where it only matters if you join a specific faction?

Thanks!

In both G2 and G3 (and G4 for that matter), using more than a certain number of canisters affects the ending. This is independent of what faction you join. In G2, if you use 10 or more canisters, it affects the ending, regardless of your faction choice. I don't remember the canister threshhold for G3 or G4, but I know if you hit it, it affects your ending no matter your faction.

In both G2 and G3 (and G4 for that matter), using more than a certain number of canisters affects the ending. This is independent of what faction you join. In G2, if you use 10 or more canisters, it affects the ending, regardless of your faction choice. I don't remember the canister threshhold for G3 or G4, but I know if you hit it, it affects your ending no matter your faction.

Hm, are you sure about that? I had multiple saves in G2, and only in the Loyalist ending did anything seem to be affected by canister usage.

Regardless, thanks for the G3 info.

Matt P's walkthrough says 6 or less, IIRC. Also be warned that using more than 6 also affects certain conversations, and you'll have to ignore the drakon in the Spire Forest if you don't want to piss off the Icy End (click okay/checkmark instead of responding to him. This trick can also be used to avoid rises or dips in your alignment in some cases-- i.e. just end the conversation instead of answering their question)

Yeah, pretty sure. The differences may be greater in some endings than others, but there are definitely variations.

I don't think canister usage changes G2's Barzite ending; it pretty much assumes you go on a wild self-shaping spree regardless, seeing as that's the entire philosophy of the faction and all. Of course, this also means a no-canister Barzite run is a kinda weird thing to do in the first place.

Ah, that's too bad. Having all the text would be awesome.

In any case, it seems like if canister usage affected that non-Loyalist endings in G2, then they were minor changes, right? From what I'm hearing, it's a pretty big impact in G3, so I think I'll do a low-canister run on my rebel playthrough and shaper playthrough.

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my rebel run, with no canisters used, then finished it again, but with 7 canisters. The only difference was about a paragraph of text saying the character felt more powerful, and the fact that she went berserk when the Shapers restrained her. Other than that, it was almost identical.

I'm guessing the consequences of canister usage are worse for a pro shaper run?

Just finished my rebel run, with no canisters used, then finished it again, but with 7 canisters. The only difference was about a paragraph of text saying the character felt more powerful, and the fact that she went berserk when the Shapers restrained her. Other than that, it was almost identical.

I'm guessing the consequences of canister usage are worse for a pro shaper run?

If you are pro shaper and use too many canisters

they kill you