Why We Might Start Writing For the iPad Again

Spidweb

We recently announced that we were going to stop writing for the iPad. Since then, things have changed in a variety of ways, and we might be able to start again. More information is here.

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2015/06/age-pleasing-apple-and-trying-to-climb.html

I'm sorry for being such a flake.

- Jeff Vogel

Jeff, you are not a flake. You are nice, hard-working and creative guy who got overwhelmed a few months ago. I love your games on the Mac, and I love them on the iPad. I'll take them however I can get them.

I must say that the style of game you write works really, really well on the iPad. So, I selfishly hope you continue to develop for that platform. However, most of all, I don't want you to stress yourself to the point of burning out.

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. You have a huge devoted fan base because you are so good at writing great games. Keep up the good work!

Since when is dusting yourself off and having another crack at something being a flake? :blink: It shows the exact opposite.

e: Coding something that you have total control over is fun. Spending hundreds of hours fixing someone else s buggy in-house business application (stuff that the vast majority of paid programmers work on) is agony.

Its only through defeat that you can learn to get better. Accepting that nobody/none of us are perfect is what makes you human. That you are developing games as a sole leader living in your house AND I might add doing better than many people wish they could do-I'd say that you are doing pretty good. Let Miranda learn a thing or two about nephils, let randomizer learn how to breed gazers and let Alorael supervise.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just generically updating my iPad apps when the new version of Crystal Souls showed up. I am so excited!

Thank you Jeff. I know this took a lot of hard work, and I also know you don't really expect to make much money off the iPad version. But, I love playing your game on the iPad, so please know that your efforts are not in vain. Love your games so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hang in there man, I'm 49 and starting to feel aches I never felt before. The ipad has become my preferred computing device so I appreciate your efforts, and didn't realize every time ios gets updated you had to completely rewrite the code for your games, much appreciated.

Hang in there man, I'm 49 and starting to feel aches I never felt before. The ipad has become my preferred computing device so I appreciate your efforts, and didn't realize every time ios gets updated you had to completely rewrite the code for your games, much appreciated.

It's not necessarily a complete rewrite for every version update, but iOS 8.3 happened to change enough things that a significant rewrite of Avernum 2 was necessary.

• 3 months later...

I played the hell out of Exile when it came out, and the Avernum series when it came out. Lately I been trying to emulate it on my android phone with touch screen emulating the mouse, its possible according to forums but its driving me so insane I might as well be wondering around in a cave talking to mushrooms.

How about some ports of the series for Android? I've bought your series 2 or 3 times now, once when it was on floppy discs, again on a cd cause I lost the disks, and then again I bought them digitally. I want to play these games again, but the perfect time to play them would be on my phone, where i can save and load after playing for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. That and I will never buy an apple product because its so limited compared to android.

• 3 months later...

The way to run older games on an iPad is to have them on another computer and then remotely access the hard drive from the iPad.

I'm trying to locate the topic that describes this in detail, but my link is from before we changed hosts so I can't get to it.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It really helps as I go off in search … :)

Edit - Link

• 1 month later...

I am here visiting as I just got my first iPad, the 9.7" iPad Pro which I am so excited about. I knew Spiderweb games were being released for iOS for some time and decided not to play them until I got my iPad which wound up being a long wait. I am 57 and disabled. I can relate to growing older certainly and the impact illnesses can have on us. I was a senior software engineer before my world was turned upside down by illness. I'm not here to complain about any of that certainly. I just mention it as this post and the linked article I read in some ways even though about a very different situation still resonated with me.

So, I just wanted to offer some encouragement Jeff and also a lot of praise for what it took to come back and do the work that you did to make this happen. I want you to know I am grateful that you did this as I am so looking forward to enjoying your games on my new toy. I really am. I love this kind of stuff and have been meaning to get into your games for a long time now. It's going to be nice to have some good games to play on iOS. I don't think much of a lot of what is available but there is a growing number of decent titles and I count your games as among them. I'm sure I will enjoy them. I'd actually come here tonight to ask about where to begin given the remakes of Avernum but the presence of Avernum 6 on the app store, whether I should play the earlier ones or what order or what. I'll go ask about that elsewhere after this. It would be nice to play them in sequence but I am thinking I should play Avernum 6 while the getting is good not to mention the others that are 32 bit before Apple goes and pulls out the rug yet again.

It's a strange thing to arrive so late to the party and want to play them all (I mean all of them not on iOS as well) but on the other hand, I do wonder about the stuff I'd like to do versus how much longer I might be here, you know? Yeah, you think about that even more at 57 but don't worry, not too much more. I try keep myself busy so I am not doing stuff like that.

I am very glad things worked out, that you worked them out so that your games will continue to be available for the iPad which is where I'd most like to play them given the choice. I can tell you that I will certainly be among the people buying and playing them. Thank you so much for making this possible.

I hope you are feeling well these days and enjoying working on the latest and greatest.

• Slarti unpinned this topic