Not a goodbye topic

Alorael at Large

I've been on Spiderweb for over 13 years. That's longer than I've known anyone but my family and one friend. When I first posted I'd lived in one town my whole life. Since then I've lived in eight towns and cities in three states. I've graduated for the first time, and then a few more times. I've gotten my first job and my first pink slip. I've pleaded guilty in court and I've provided testimony. I've seen death up close and, in a completely unrelated turn of events, I've gotten married.

Most recently, I've taken my first steps towards the goal of letters after my name and gotten my M.D. Residency follows, and maybe a few more letters eventually!

—Alorael, who gives up his cloak of secrecy on repeated urging from the aforementioned spouse. Also maybe as a required professional disclosure. He's not entirely clear on the legal issues.

sounds like your life is going to be pretty busy for a while. at last, a golden opportunity to overtake your post count

And what do you think I'm going to be doing in the dead of night when the crisis has passed and I'm hopped up on eighteen cups of coffee?

—Alorael, who has no intention of going anywhere. He just might have to adjust his gaming and posting to follow the call schedule a little more closely. He also has the slight advantage that he's losing over 2 hours of daily commuting time. Resident hours are long, but an extra 15 or so hours freed per week actually makes a big difference.

The eighteen cups of coffee ought to increase the jitters enough that you end up wounding the pedestrians instead of killing them like ADOS is suggesting. And congratulations, that is an awesome achievement. Now we can see how fast we can get perma-banned for asking you annoying medical questions.

I have this terrible pain in the diodes all down my left side...

Diodes, huh? Aha! Aha! Jerakeen admits to being one of Aran's bots!

Now I appreciate Aloe-Real's fiendish genius! This thread isn't about announcing major life developments! It's a clever ploy to draw out the bots!

Any chance you can specialize in psychiatry so you can help members with depression between game releases?

I actually am going into psychiatry, but probably not with a focus on gaming. I am happy to field general medical questions, but specifics should probably go to your doctor.

—Alorael, who initially stuck with a daily name change. He's been lax about that for a year or two now, but he still has a new name more days than not.

I actually am going into psychiatry, but probably not with a focus on gaming. I am happy to field general medical questions, but specifics should probably go to your doctor.

—Alorael, who initially stuck with a daily name change. He's been lax about that for a year or two now, but he still has a new name more days than not.

A psychiatrist who spends all his time in a place where they tell you to "leave your sanity at the door".

Anyone else see the irony here?

That's the traditional response to a goodbye topic. I've only had one before, I believe at 10,000 posts, and it was a joke when I posted it.

—Alorael, who was seen tomorrow. And the next day, and the next day, and the next day...

Then maybe this post is a joke too? And the reality is you are indeed saying goodbye? Or is it the other way around?

I think I just lost 2% sanity thinking about this. Better find something more worthwhile to do with my life, asap...

I get this habit of reading threads while barely remembering the title. Feeling this was a goodbye topic, tears almost welled in my eyes so I decided to give Alorael my goodbye-post like.

The day after, he changed his name, and posting schedule, yet still posted.

Congrats on the residency I guess?

Oh. I'm taking my like back.

Will we see you again?

Given that Alorael is literally unseeable, probably not. However, you probably will see pixels forming letters on your screen representing posts from the so-called "Alorael" entity, and this may give you the impression of "seeing" Alorael. I assure that this is a mere delusion, and it is only a sign that you are going mad (as planned).

The reality was that the septuagenarian Eskimo Alorael was placed on an ice floe and pushed out to sea by his family. A bot replaced him which accounts for large number of posts. The fact most members still believe he is human merely shows the bot's closeness to passing the Turing Test or the stupidity of the members.

I have long been a Septuagenarian/54 year old Korean-Eskimo businessman and pedestrian-sniper who swills skribbane. It's only recently, however, that I've also become a doctor. I'll be around and posting (invisibly) until I collapse under the weight of the memes.

—Alorael, who could probably cram a few more memes and in-jokes in there.

I have long been a Septuagenarian/54 year old Korean-Eskimo businessman and pedestrian-sniper who swills skribbane. It's only recently, however, that I've also become a doctor. I'll be around and posting (invisibly) until I collapse under the weight of the memes.

—Alorael, who could probably cram a few more memes and in-jokes in there.

Now that you're a doctor, will you still be on skribbane?

Addicts generally say that people who have themselves struggled with addiction can understand them and communicate with them better and deliver better care. Obviously that's not good reason to get hooked on something, but it does mean some psychiatrists and counselors have an edge in that field.

—Alorael, who would just leave it at that, but then he has another tidbit to add. He knows a couple of doctors who were anesthesiologists, succumbed to the professional hazard of sampling their own wares, got clean, and switched specialties to psychiatry. One is definitely going into addiction, and his experience is a big part of why.