Exile III BOOK ABILITY INFO-RETURNING MISSLE????????

Richard Bacon

Ok well after cheating witht he editor and exploring most of exile III's features and understanding the game, i made a new party with the default characters but custom advantages/disadvantages and all that jazz, now when you start in Fort Emergence. There are books lying around, i found this green book, saw i couldnt hit use and/or open and read it, so i looked at the identity info and it is ID'ed and i think it says MAGIC too, now see the LITTLE description at the bottom just like all books have n stuff,well look at the green books ABILITY it says RETURNING MISSLE. But look at the dark green book identity, it is useable to be opened and read, but the light green has no use button, just has the defukt. Drop, give to pc and ID buttons,

The green book(not the dark green) has no use button, but the ability says RETURNING MISSLE????!?!!??

I recall seeing this book in the game (it's called "Tome of Missiles" or something, right?). Basically, you equip it like any other missile weapon. I believe it works the same way as slings in Blades of Exile, so it probably requires Thrown Missiles skill rather than Archery (but I could be wron about that).

dang I cant figure out how to attach a photo

If you already have a URL to the image, just post that here. If not, you'll need to upload the image to an image-sharing site, such as imageshack, photobucket, imgur, tinypic, etc.

Does the item's name go italic to show it's equipped if you click on it?

ammo-less missiles still use MODE_FIRING, so they would use the Archery skill in CBoE. Not sure how that works in E3 though.

Ah, you're right, I remembered wrong. (Mind you, in latest BoE, you can choose either skill.)

did the throwing book actually work as designed in E3? i thought that the code for infinite ammunition items was broken until BoE (and sketchy even then)

If you're talking about the Tome of Missiles, I'm not sure. It was equippable, but I don't think I ever tried actually using it in combat.

• 1 month later...

Darth Ernie, he was commenting on my bringing up of the Xian items, ignorant of the fact that they are not actually present in the game we are discussing. I never even finished the early Upper Avernum sections in E3 and just incorrectly assumed. :p My apologies.

"Hey! I'm a talking without checking my facts!"

I always assumed that this was a mistake, albeit an interesting and entertaining one so I always made sure to get it, that it should have been a book you could read, but was set up wrong. Now that I think of it, it's the only one of it's kind, though, whereas multiple copies of normal books are all over. Wonder what this one said?

I'm almost certain that book isn't the only one. Jeff scattered all sort of random crap with useless, unusable abilities throughout the Exile series and other series, because he thought it was funny. That's just one of them, and if you pay attention you may find more, and I'm not talking about Avernum's Xian items. We used to have a list somewhere...