"Fixing" my poor choice of purchasing Hardiness training before it was level 10 (Crystal Souls)

Hey guys, long time Spiderweb Software game player here. I'm going through a Singleton Torment playthrough, and everything has been going pretty great, until I realized that way back at ~level 14 in Chapter 1 I trained Hardiness twice. I then realized how much of a mistake this was when trying to level it past 10. I can't even level it past 10 in the editor! I'll take any way (cheats, save game editors, trainers etc) to "fix" this mistake as I really don't feel like starting this playthrough over and don't want my character to be stunted.

It's easiest to do this in a friendly town, so we'll use Mertis.

First, locate the Scripts folder. Its location may vary depending on where you bought the game. I just right-click the game icon and "open file location" and there it is. Make a back-up copy of it, just in case.

Find the script called "t73mertisdlg" and open it up with some kind of text editor.

The very first dialog node looks like this:

begintalknode;
tag = 1;
state = -1;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
text1 = "The soldiers guarding Avernum are not the best your nation has to offer. Your strongest warriors are sent to the front. The old, the injured, and infirm, they come here.";
text2 = "They have already heard tales of your exploits. Some of the stories are even half-true. You are treated as a hero, which is pleasant.";

except for the lines being indented a bit, which for some reason I can't do here, but whatever. The point is, you're going to add a few lines at the end, so it looks like this:

begintalknode;
tag = 1;
state = -1;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
text1 = "The soldiers guarding Avernum are not the best your nation has to offer. Your strongest warriors are sent to the front. The old, the injured, and infirm, they come here.";
text2 = "They have already heard tales of your exploits. Some of the stories are even half-true. You are treated as a hero, which is pleasant.";
code =
alter_stat(30000,8,2);
break;

The tabs don't really matter, but everything else does, so copy it exactly. Save your changes (you may have to give yourself admin privileges to save).*

Now load your game and take your party to Mertis. Click on any soldier there. If you've done it correctly, the normal dialogue should pop up, and all of your characters' Hardiness should increase by two. If you only wanted to do some of them, well too bad. :p

If you haven't done it correctly, you'll likely get some sort of error message, and possibly a crashed game, but no biggie because you made a backup, right?

Afterward, you'll probably want to change that script back to avoid temptation. Or not. Have fun!

Edited by Jerakeen
*Do not save as rich text!

Awesome! If I knew I could have done scripting like this I would have tried to do that initially rather than trying to figure out the save format through file difference checking :rolleyes: . Thanks a ton! Will this make it so that my Hardiness increases by 2 each time I talk to a soldier in Mertis, or will it only happen the once?

Additionally, I can't seem to find the file you're talking about. I see these (for t73's):

t73ghelia

t73UnderDracotxt

t73UnderDracodlg

t73UnderDraco

This is a Crystal Souls question, did you think I meant EftP? In the meantime I'm adapting the script to work in the tower of Magi instead of Mertis because I can't find Mertis soldier dialogue.

Edit: It worked! Thanks again.