For a super powerful archmage he strikes me as pretty pathetic. He spends all his time reading trashy novels and moping over the demons outside his tower. Oh, wait he is also terrified of assassins! Erika who seems to be in the exact same position as him, deep in empire territory and possibly with just the same level of magical power as him, spends her time pissing off incoming troops and devising nasty traps to fill up the outside areas of her tower, while at the same time planning more and greater revenges against the empire.

I don't know if he says anything different later in the game but upon the first time I reached him he seemed oddly afraid to do anything and couldn't give a straight answer to why he was in exile. If he is powerful enough to have a bedroom teleporter to secret areas where there is another teleporter keyed to behind his tower he is definitely powerful enough to have his own pylon. And if he could protect his tower he could certainly add anti-demon protection wherever he travels or at least move it out of a lava pit where demons spawn from!

In A2:CS, Solberg explains that he's an expert at killing demons, however even he could be overwhelmed by the sheer number of demons. So he's retreated to a tower where the demons can't get to him.

The difference between Solberg and Erika is the difficulty level for getting in to see one of them. Erika's got a bigger ego and only takes visits from those that are good enough to gain entrance. The only ones with bigger egos are Linda and Garzahd. :)

Jeff doesn't do a lot of retcons, but the whole "Solberg is an expert at killing demons" thing is a really, really, really bad one. It doesn't make sense on any level and nothing was changed to make it make sense.

As far as I'm concerned, Solberg is a master mindduelist. (Also, A4-A6 may not have happened, either. :p)