Avernum (Like) games that are story driven & Not DgnCrawlers

I cant find any on all platforms.

Etrian Odyssey1-5 are all dungeon crawlers with no story

Icewind Dale 1 and 2 I never got into

I am sure Pillars of Eternity is the same as IWDale besides party based games are supposed to be turnbased!

Might and Magic 6-9 are all action/rpg and not rpg

Class of Heroes 1 and 2 and Elminage follow Etrian Odysseys theme.

There are a few games I dont have and havent played but not sure of

Pool of Radiance-Forsaken Lands for PS2

Metal Dungeon-Xbox 360

The only ones I can get into are Avernum series and Legacy from Redshift. Otherwise the rest of the games where you create a party are all action/rpgs like diablo.

Can anyone point out a story-driven rpg like Avernum. I cant find any as the rest are all action/rpgs.

It's hard, athough I know there's a hidden gem somewhere, but I just can't find it. Anyway here are my suggestions if you're interested:

Pillars of Eternity

-Praised by a lot of people, I watched some gameplay on Youtube and closed the browser suddenly, felt like Baldur's Gate, seeing those isometric pause/action rpg makes me feel like in the middle of MOBA game and a turn-based one, and I hate that feeling

Darkest Dungeon

-Dark Souls vibes, hardcore turn-based combat with stress and madness, Lovecraftian themed, indie, only downside is, it's more of a background than an actual story

Geneforge

-Decent story, but the only turn-based is the combat, I'm okay with it, your party, most of the time, are filled creatures

The Witcher

-The story and gritty atmosphere flows like natural water, immersive but the combat isn't turn-based, rather, a combination of real time and turn based. But I play for the story.

Legend of Grimrock

-Just heard it somewhere

A little list to help you out, I'm actually in a hunt for the best action rpgs I can find, so I can only give you a few. I also heard Eschalon recommended somewhere other than this topic of course.

What about older games like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights? Baldur's Gate can be set to be effectively turn-based, as I recall. (I haven't tried NWN yet so not sure.)

Legend of Grimrock is definitely a dungeon crawl. I haven't tried Legend of Grimrock 2 yet, though.

Yeah, you're really looking for older games. What are the specific characteristics you're looking for? From what you've said so far:

- Turn-based command selection (not action-rpgs)

- Create a party of PCs

- Heavy on story via atmosphere

If the Pool of Radiance game you mentioned is anything like the original, it'd be an excellent choice.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm late to the party, but the Shadowrun games are pretty similar to Avernum.

1. You create your own character (usually one, and then you hire "runners" to come along with you). You can customize it as much as you want (race, sex, and a whole lot of skills / strengths)

2. It's heavily story-driven. And I do mean heavy! It's at the same level as Avernum on this point

3. Combat is turn-based, pretty much the same as in Avernum, with a crapload of weapons, magic, and skills to use

4. There are many ways of going through a game. You could be a fast-talking charismatic elf who knows how to deal with all social situations (each sort of situation is a skill you can get, btw, like talking to security personel, or corporate talk, etc) and get through front doors that way. You could hack your way in as a decker, by haywiring security. You could play as a tinkerer who sends in a little robot to turn off security. You could just shoot and punch your way in. Loads of different solutions to the same problem.

The current games are different from the old NES and Genesis ones, but in my opinion that's not a bad thing. They're closer to Avernum's style now than back in the days.

Torment isn't out yet, so there's no way to know.

Shadowrun fits the bill. The second of the new games, Dragonfall, a bit better than the first. Having a permanent party helps.

If you hate real time with pause and will only accept turn-based then the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment) are out, as is Pillars of Eternity. If you're judging just by Icewind Dale, though, the same engine does not mean the same games. Baldur's Gate and BG2 are both story-driven. They have dungeons, but they aren't about dungeons. Planescape's combat is terrible and nobody plays it for that anyway, but its characters and stories are truly a masterpiece. Pillars of Eternity is in the same vein as Baldur's Gate. It's combat heavy (but so's Avernum!) but all about story; I'd argue that it's more driven by story than Avernum, really.

—Alorael, who really thinks there's a huge distinction between real time with pause in the manner of Baldur's Gate and action-RPGs like Diablo and The Witcher. They're quite mechanically distinct. Also not truly tied to story; The Witcher has fairly strong story and extremely strong story and atmosphere, which is the area where Avernum shines more than in plot. Diablo doesn't, it just has mass monster slaughter. The mechanics do not make the style, at least not completely.

I cant find any on all platforms.

Might and Magic 6-9 are all action/rpg and not rpg

As far as Might & Magic 6-8 are concerned, you can choose between turn based and real time. If you play on turn based, they are not action/rpg at all. MM 6 and MM7 are great games and MM8 good. The bad thing is, they are more than 15 years old.

Turn based party RPG are very rare since Wizardry 8. Luckily there are some good ones release last year.

Divinity: Original Sin is the best

Shadowrun: dragonfall is also great

If you want more, try Wasteland 2

I played Arcanum 12 years ago, and didn't like it. It used the same story-telling device over and over, which got old really quickly. Like you'd get a quest to recover a stolen ring, and it would turn out that the quest-giver would be the one trying to get a ring stolen. That sorta thing, each and every time. You'd know for sure when you get a quest, that the quest-giver is the culprit. If it's once or twice, ok. Nice plot twist. If it's for every damn quest, it gets tiresome and ridiculous.

In the same style, but without that sort of nonsense, is NOX.