No acknowledgement for Spiral Pit quest

You are probably right. Still, there is no job board in Mertis and I am not sure but it is possible I was given the mission personally, or maybe it was on the job board of a different town, or I didn't get the mission at all (that would explain the whole matter). Unfortunately I can't say about the money, as I didn't noticed it. But it is possible it was not given.

Commander Lynn acknowledged about the Rampaging Ghasts, then nothing relevant for the Spiral Pit mission appeared in the dialogue box.

I will try the other Commander Lynn's mission, Honeycomb bandits, to see if one mission success would unlock the other one.

Just for fun.

By chance I found I didn't get the quest, that still was on the job board in Silvar. Then I went back to Commander Lynn, she properly thanked me and gave me the coins. After that, the skeptical dialogue didn't disappear. Mistery partially solved :rolleyes:

Well, she is understandably doubtful about the Spiral Pit being clear of all undead influence. I mean, I think we have to clear it out in every iteration of the game, right? ;-)

Subject reprise. There is definetely something not linear in Spiral Pit quest. The exact sequence to perform is: take Rampaging Ghasts quest (on Silvar job board); enter Spiral Pit and kill everything there; report to Commander Lynn about Rampaging Ghasts (in Mertis); go back to Silvar job board and the Spiral Pit quest appears; return to Commander Lynn and get the money.

Gosh.

It is not linear at all to me.

One more thing. Spiral Pit final battle is an extremely difficult and long one (being i.e. on Torment and singleton as I am now), and it's written you free the area of a very bad influence but, you don't even get a single level of Reputation. I checked it. My pal was level 22 Reputation before the Spiral Pit and was level 22 after she reported to Commander Lynn.

Depending on the path your character takes throughout the rest of the game, it's easy enough to clear everything up to the barrier in the center of the Spiral Pit, report that to Commander Lynn, then get the second quest from the job board in Silvar to go back and get past the barrier and clear the rest of the Pit. When I've played, I generally don't have high enough Dispel Barrier to get to the center until later, so the routing makes sense. But the game is non-linear, anyway. :)

Assuming you have the necessary spell levels to enter Spiral Pit and defeat the foes inside there is not a separation between the two quests, in the same place. When I've played first time, I couldn't know where a quest finished and where the other one started, nothing was there to let me understand it. So at first I thought the Rampaging ghasts were those bands of spirits outside Spiral Pit. I don't criticize the choice but I wasted some time in a useless way, that is overall true about gaming, I admit :D