TV shows you've seen

BainIhrno

I know a similar thread was done a while ago, but to avoid bumping dead topics, I'm curious which shows people have seen. Netflix has given me a lot of access lately. :)

Anyway, I've seen:

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Star Trek: Voyager

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Pretty Little Liars

The Lying Game

Switched at Birth

The Fosters

Kyle XY

Twisted

Once Upon a Time

Continuum

Caprica

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Gravity Falls

The X-Files

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (just season 1 and part of season 2)

Futurama

Some various kids shows

I might start Heroes soon. If you're curious what I thought of any of the shows I've seen, just ask. Anyway, what shows have you seen, and what did you think of them (if you want)?

I don't really enjoy watching TV, so I don't know how useful my suggestions will be (huh, I went back and re-read the opening post and you were just asking what I'd seen, not for ideas. Never mind).

If you're going to watch Heroes, I recommend stopping after season one. It took a massive dive in quality after that.

Since you're using Netflix, I'd recommend watching the rest of Buffy as soon as possible. Breaking Bad is excellent, though I can't say anything about Better Call Saul yet as I haven't watched it myself. Is Hannibal on Netflix yet? Both seasons of that have been tremendously good, and a third is starting soon. It's not something for the faint of heart, however. Avatar: The Last Airbender was on the UK Netflix (and still might be?) so please, please, please watch that; it's one of my all-time favourite television shows.

I also enjoyed Arrested Development a whole bunch (though maybe not the fourth season). Broadchurch is very good, and I've heard excellent things about Orange is the New Black, though I've yet to see it myself. The same's true of House of Cards, which is probably next on my list of things to fill my eyeboxes with. I watched most of Gilmore Girls during my three-hour lunch breaks at college and university, and whilst I can't say it's compulsive viewing, I enjoyed it enough. American Horror Story is great, but skip the witchy one - it's not as enjoyable as the others. I liked Sherlock - series one was good, but series two, and especially three, sucked. In one of my stupid marathons, I watched Parks and Recreation in about four days. You can skip the first season (it's only 6 episodes), because it's not very good, and you really don't miss anything.

That's the top of my head thoroughly scraped. There are a ton more things that I'm just not thinking of right now, but those should be a good start.

Edited by Paper Forests
added things i accidentally

in my current rotation:

Better Call Saul

House of Cards

MLP: FiM

Archer

Orange is the New Black (although it suffers from the netflix-curse of 'add ubiquitous sex', sadly)

Hannibal

Sherlock (I liked all the seasons, tbh)

Shows I would recommend that aren't above because they're finished:

Breaking Bad

Top Gear (why jeremy why :(:(:()

They don't really count, but the miniserieses From the Earth to the Moon and Generation Kill are both really good.

Bleach (the anime) was pretty good, but there were very huge chunks of "why is Ken Pach E //still// fighting this one battle three episodes later.

Firefly. I don't think it quite lives up to its weird cult obsession but its still pretty good.

Mostly it's been the DC Comics ones sans Gotham. Sad how Constantine is in limbo right now, Matt Ryan plays the titular character spot on. Arrow is trying its best to not be Nolanverse Batman-lite but nonetheless great. Flash is "lighter" somewhat. Maybe because its about metahumans. Lots of reveal in the latter's latest episodes, really psyched for whatever is coming up next for it! iZombie is a fun watch. People say it's like Veronica Mars but I haven't watched any of it(V. Mars).

On the other side, Agents of Shield didn't really hook me in with the first few episodes, but they say it gets better(they always say that though). I think it being in-universe with the MCU is what is keeping it down, but that's just me.

This isn't an exhaustive list, but I've watched basically all of Doctor Who (new series, obviously), Buffy and Angel, Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis and Universe), Firefly and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Also the first season or two of Game of Thrones and the first 3-4 seasons of The Big Bang Theory, but I haven't kept up with either since then. Similarly, the first episode each of Breaking Bad and Supernatural.

Edit: I also kept up with NCIS for quite a while, but haven't seen any episodes in years. I think the last thing I saw most of was... season seven or something, back in 2008. Also saw the first two seasons of Torchwood.

Dear lord. You want me to list every show I've seen, not just shows I currently watch? Um ok, I'll try. I guarantee I'm forgetting some shows here.

The 100

The 4400

Agent Carter

Agents of SHIELD

Ally McBeal

Andromeda

Angel

Animaniacs

Archer

Are You Being Served?

Arrested Development

As Time Goes By

Attack on Titan

Babylon 5

Battlestar Galactica (both versions)

Becker

Better Call Saul

Better Off Ted

Blackadder

Boardwalk Empire

Bones

Bored to Death

The Borgias

Boston Legal

Boston Public

Boy Meets World

Bramwell

Breaking Bad

Broadchurch

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Californication

Call the Midwife

Campion

Castle

Cheers

The Colbert Report

Community

Continuum

Copper

CSI

CSI: Miami

CSI: New York

The Daily Show

Dead Like Me

Deadwood

Diagnosis Murder

Dinotopia

Doc Martin

Doctor Quinn: Medicine Woman

Doctor Who (both versions)

Downton Abbey

The Drew Carey Show

Elementary

Entourage

Eureka

Everybody Hates Chris

Falling Skies

Farscape

Father Ted

Firefly

The Forsyte Sage

Foyle's War

Frasier

Freaks and Geeks

Fringe

Fullmetal Alchemist

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Game of Thrones

Gilmore Girls

Harry's Law

Helix

Hell on Wheels

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Homeland

House of Cards

House, MD

How I Met Your Mother

Hustle

The Inbetweeners

JAG

Jekyll

Jeremiah

Jericho

Keeping Up Appearances

King of the Hill

Kingdom

The Knick

The Last Ship

The Last Train

Last Week Tonight

Law & Order

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Law & Order: Los Angeles

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Law & Order: Trial by Jury

Law & Order: UK

The Legend of Korra

Leverage

The Librarians

Life on Mars

Lilyhammer

Lois & Cark: The New Adventures of Superman

The Lone Gunman

Lost

Mad Men

M*A*S*H

Masters of Sex

The Middleman

Monarch of the Glen

Monday Mornings

Monk

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Mozart in the Jungle

Mr. Selfridge

Mulberry

My Hero

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

NCIS

NCIS: LA

NCIS: New Orleans

Neon Genesis Evangelion

New Girl

The Newsroom

The Nightly Show

Once Upon a Time

One Foot in the Grave

Orange Is the New Black

Orphan Black

The Paradise

Peaky Blinders

Prohibition

Pushing Daisies

Quantum Leap

Record of Lodoss War

Reaper

Rectify

Red Dwarf

The Red Green Show

Relic Hunter

Ripper Street

Robin Hood

Rome

Royal Pains

Saturday Night Live

Seinfeld

Sex in the City

Sharpe

Sherlock

The Simpsons

Sliders

Smallville

Sons of Anarchy

The Sopranos

Space Island One

Spartacus

Star Trek

Star Trek: The Animated Series

Star Teek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Enterprise

Stargate Atlantis

Stargate SG-1

Stargate Universe

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Survivors

The Swamp Fox

That 70's Show

Top Gear

Torchwood

Transparent

Treme

The Tudors

Twin Peaks

Ugly Betty

Under the Dome

Upstairs, Downstairs (both versions)

The Venture Brothers

Vicious

The Walking Dead

Warehouse 13

The West Wing

White Collar

The White Queen

The Wire

Wonderfalls

Trigun

The X-Files

Xena: Warrior Princess

Waiting for God

I'm only going to list shows that I've seen at least one season of:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Breaking Bad

The X-Files

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

South Park

Angel

Orange is the New Black

How I Met Your Mother

Firefly is probably going to be my next watch. I just finished my third viewing of Buffy. I would also eagerly watch Seinfeld if I had access to it.

The list of shows I've seen in their entirety, at least within the last decade, is very short.

Firefly: It's really good. Is it the best thing every? No, but it was different and it was exceptionally well written and well acted. I think if it had lived longer it would have eventually shown warts, but it didn't, so it's forever going to be a thing of beauty killed in its prime. What it really nailed was aesthetic. I like long-form drama; this had practically none. I like character arcs; this was too short to provide much, although it did have inklings of development. But it absolutely nailed the flavor and feeling of a place that never was.

Dollhouse: Seen on the wings of having recently acquired and watched Firefly. It's not so good. Or rather, it's bad, then eventually became tolerably but not exceptionally good late in its run. I suspect it was building towards something interesting, but we'll never know. Would not watch, no tears shed. I think I would have stopped watching it except that it came with some nice social perks.

Arrested Development: I was dragged into this one by well-meaning friends. I don't love it the way others seem to, nor have I watched the resurrected Netflix season, but it's head and shoulders above other sitcoms. The density of humor, and blink-and-you'll-miss-it "bonus" humor, really sell it. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes humorous TV and a fair number of people who claim not to.

Battlestar Galactica: I think this one holds the distinction of being the only show I've seen in its entirety while it was on air for its own sake. Don't let the terrible name fool you; it's a great show with excellent writing, excellent acting, and an interesting story arc. Not without some unevenness, particularly in some of the individual episodes (with forewarning, you can skip them and miss next to nothing) but I'll label it my favorite show without hesitation. And not just because I'm a sci-fi fan; I think it really deserves the encomiums heaped upon it.

And some things where I've watched at least one season:

Scrubs: Light watching, silly, but still quite funny. It never pretends to be what it's not, but it does what it does well, and even does manage to pluck heartstrings well once in a while (and with cheap tricks a little more often). I actually only picked it up in the last few years, and I was surprised by how much it shows its age. Not in the clothes or jokes or anything else, but in the way hospitals work. It's amazing how quickly electronic everything has dominated the field. Anyway, it's still a largely funny show. I made it quite a few seasons in before the quality was obviously starting to deteriorate.

Babylon 5: Watched on recommendation after thoroughly enjoying Battlestar Galactica. This one has really not stood the test of time for me. The acting is largely execrable, the special effects show their age a little bit, and the writing is ham-handed. Still a milestone of sci-fi, I think, and maybe would be more meaningful if I had seen any Star Trek ever, but not amazing. It does get points for a long and consistent overarching story. It sadly suffers badly from having a first season that's really, really bad but also sadly important as the foundation for subsequent seasons. For the hard-core sci-fi fan only. If you like Star Trek it'll probably do.

Of note, as mentioned, I've never seen Star Trek. Not one episode, as far as I can recall. Do I need to turn in my geek card?

—Alorael, who supposes he's also seen all of Sherlock. It's a little different, since it's (slowly) ongoing, but that's also a great show. It feels a lot more like a series of movies than TV, though. And it also suffers from inexplicably bad middle episodes to each three episode series, although the most recent was the least bad of the lot.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

I started watching the Star Trek TV franchise nearly two years ago. I just finished season 3 of Enterprise and will be starting the final one shortly. I've also rewatched / finished Buffy and am finishing up with Angel as well.

That's Netflix. I also follow Agents of Shield.

I have not watched much TV in the past 10 years. These were pretty much all in either broadcast or syndication with Buffy being the only one that I saw more episodes via DVD than cable.

Star Trek TOS

Star Trek TNG

Star Trek DS9

Emergency

Superfriends

Star blazers

Bonanza

Battlestar Gallactica (The original not the remake)

Buffy

Friends

Third Rock from the Sun

LA Law

Married with Children

Tour of Duty

MASH

CHIPS

The A-Team

I'm rewatching Boardwalk Empire because the last arc hit me like a ton of bricks and recontextualized a lot of the first three seasons pretty hard. It's okay.

DS9 is pretty great too. I liked Hannibal enormously but I feel gross about the end of the second season. I've not been loving Better Call Saul so far, but it's something to watch.

If I had to point to the best thing on TV right now it'd be Steven Universe. The way my friends have been talking about it has used the phrase "positive subversion" a lot and I feel that pretty strongly.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear lord. You want me to list every show I've seen, not just shows I currently watch? Um ok, I'll try. I guarantee I'm forgetting some shows here.

Sometimes I forget how awesome you are :p. There's no way I could list all the shows I've watched, but we share a lot of the same.

I'll nod Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire, Game of Thrones, The Genius, and Attack on Titan. Excellent Television. I also really love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Shameless, but it's not for everyone.

However, I get the feeling that you like more lighter shows, so I'd recommend Avatar, Scrubs, The b*tch in Apt. 23B, Seasons 1-4 of How I met your mother, and Pushing Daisies.

It's been a long, long time since I watched television... Let's see...

Earth: Final Conflict was good while it had an interestingly ambiguous protagonist, then they got a new guy who was a total Mary Sue. Sigh.

Enterprise and Star Trek: Voyager, ugh, awful.

Star Trek: The Next Generation, some very good episodes, far too many awful ones. Notice a pattern?

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 didn't feel like Star Trek, and I think that was a very good thing.

Firefly, hmm, I have mixed feelings. When it's good, it's good. But a lot of times, it falls into the very stereotypes it supposedly tries to subvert. See the ending of Jaynestown for a good example of this, or the whole character of Jubal Early.

Who is John Doe was good and creepy until the title character discovered martial arts and went all Mary Sue. Sigh.

More recent stuff? Well, I once saw five minutes of The Walking Dead. Most of it was some huge musclebound guy beating up three women at once, followed by them getting rescued by another huge musclebound dude, with loud rock music in the background. Because zombies aren't gritty enough I guess? Anyway yeah, how about no thanks.

Full series? I do not watch a lot of TV as it's hard to find a show that will quite cater to my interest.

Arrested Development

Gundam Wing

My Name is Earl

Coach

Frasier

Third Rock from the Sun

FMA

FMA Brotherhood

Burn Notice

Parks and Recreation

I got close to finishing Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo but I couldn't take it any longer. I started Hunter X Hunter but I'm going to finish after I find the complete 2011 series dubbed (not subbed) somewhere. People say that sub is better and I agree, a lot of bad dub out there, but reading while watching doesn't work for me.

Babylon 5: Watched on recommendation after thoroughly enjoying Battlestar Galactica. This one has really not stood the test of time for me. The acting is largely execrable, the special effects show their age a little bit, and the writing is ham-handed. Still a milestone of sci-fi, I think, and maybe would be more meaningful if I had seen any Star Trek ever, but not amazing. It does get points for a long and consistent overarching story. It sadly suffers badly from having a first season that's really, really bad but also sadly important as the foundation for subsequent seasons. For the hard-core sci-fi fan only. If you like Star Trek it'll probably do.

Just watch Deep Space Nine. It's like Babylon 5 done the right way.

Full series? I do not watch a lot of TV as it's hard to find a show that will quite cater to my interest.

Arrested Development

Gundam Wing

My Name is Earl

Coach

Frasier

Third Rock from the Sun

FMA

FMA Brotherhood

Burn Notice

Parks and Recreation

I got close to finishing Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo but I couldn't take it any longer. I started Hunter X Hunter but I'm going to finish after I find the complete 2011 series dubbed (not subbed) somewhere. People say that sub is better and I agree, a lot of bad dub out there, but reading while watching doesn't work for me.

Just watch Deep Space Nine. It's like Babylon 5 done the right way.

I like Hunter X Hunter too, and I hope it could continue to the end.

• 7 months later...

topicnecromancy.gif

Well, since April I've watched a few new TV things:

Baccano! - A weird little anime mini-series with an interesting concept. If you're into interesting concepts, check it out. Ticks off my 1920s nostalgia fetish as well as my train fetish. The big downside, I must say, is too much obligatory violence.

Band of Brothers - I watched this a long time ago when I was a kid and recently gave it a rewatch. If, somehow, you have a WW2 fetish and haven't seen this, go watch it.

Fargo - By the same people who made the movie, and just as great, if not better.

The Man in the High Castle - Actually what prompted this post. Amazon's attempt at turning a book into a movie. Pedantic book nerds seem to complain, but having not read the book, I must say I really like what they've done with it. I doubt I'll ever watch another TV show or movie where (season finale spoiler) [inspoil]Rudolph's about to off Hitler and NO DONT DO IT PUT THE GUN DOWN DONT KILL HITLER[/inspoil]. If you have a Nazi/Imperial Japan fetish, this should do the trick for you, and if you have a retrofuturistic 1960s fetish, you'll be set for days.

Rick and Morty - Basically if Archer and Back to the Future had a cartoon baby. It's full of "stupid" humor that actually manages to be funny. After I started watching I said "wtf is this, this is dumb" and then binged the entire series. Even the Interdimensional TV episodes (aka "we ran out of budget so just made an episode that's a montage of stuff we wrote down while stoned" episodes) are pretty good. It sorta reminds me of Arrested Development, where you'd have to rewatch it ten times to catch everything.

I've also been staying up with my existing shows:

MLP:FiM - Holy crap on a cracker, this was a good season. Animation is even better, the acid trip that was episode 100, and that epic finale ([inspoil]although the ending felt kinda gimmickey tbh[/inspoil]).

Doctor Who - aaaaaa <3 Capaldi. I love what they've done with the new Doctor, I love the electric guitar, I love the sonic shades, I love the sarcastic assmuffin, this is great. I'm even willing to overlook the Moffatisms.

Hannibal - Honestly, I haven't been able to force myself to carry on with it. Season 3 starting out being duuuumb, and I gave up halfway through e03. If I wanted to hear uneducated crap about morality and philosophy and all this other stuff I'd read one of those SW threads.

Orange is the New Black - Slightly less gratuitous netflix sex, so that's nice. If I wanted to watch a porn I have better options. Overall a solid season, looking forward to s04.

And when the hell is Sherlock coming back :(

Hannibal - Honestly, I haven't been able to force myself to carry on with it. Season 3 starting out being duuuumb, and I gave up halfway through e03. If I wanted to hear uneducated crap about morality and philosophy and all this other stuff I'd read one of those SW threads.

And when the hell is Sherlock coming back :(

Sherlock has an episode out this Christmas, I think.

As for Hannibal. Yeah, season 3 didn't start off all that great, and the constant sophomore philosophy had ALWAYS grated on me, from right back in season one. That said, if you can force yourself to watch until episode 4 or 5 it starts getting really good. Like, not quite season 1 good, but better than season 2 good. I really enjoyed it until almost the very end.

Oh, and uh...

I recently saw Merlin, which was fun and silly. I've also watched all of Futurama this year (even the disappointing last season), and we're slowly working our way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer - me for the fourth(?) time.

I've been following MLP:FIM and Doctor Who, as before, and I'd echo Sy on those.

Especially on the horsecartoon - this whole year has been a chain of "best episode ever" moments. The art, the songs, the story-telling, the blatant pandering acknowledgement of the fan community... this season has been beautiful all around.

I feel like Capaldi is hamming it up a bit much on occasion, but that's like every Doctor ever. I do like to see him rant, and the climax of The Zygon Inversion was one of his best moments so far.

I knew Clara was leaving, but it was a gut-punch when it did (and especially how), because I really liked her. My first gut reaction was to roundly curse Moffet but then I remembered I got literally what I'd been asking for. My biggest beef with Day of the Doctor (and a lot of the end of Matt Smith's run) was how much it had diluted "Everybody Lives". Well, that's definitely over.

I'm finally caught up with NCIS. I hadn't followed it since about season 8 (the one with the serial killer) which was over four years ago. I don't have much of an opinion on it - it's fun to watch, but I don't feel as connected as with Doctor Who and MLP. (Likewise with Burn Notice, which I also went through this summer.)

Edited by Lambda Closure
Spoilered recent events on Doctor Who

I've been watching Supergirl and while I don't like how many people know her secret identity, they are at least making it both funny and interesting. Close enough to the comics so you know where characters come from without spending hours on their back stories. Plenty of new material so it isn't a rehash of the comics or lets redo the origin story again instead of something different.

The Librarians is back for season 2 with new villains and filling in the Library's mythology. More light hearted than the movies, there are plenty of moments that are just added for the fun of it.

Gotham is back for season 2 and getting so dark, that by the time Bruce Wayne grows up to be Batman it will seem light hearted in comparison. With the body count rising and the crazies coming out, why would anyone want to live there. Anyone with any sense would flee and start over elsewhere where it's safe like Iraq.

Doctor Who is definitely changing with references to the older episodes. Some of the plots don't make sense, but then you are supposed to suspend belief.

Then there are all the returning shows that only have occasionally good episodes like Castle, The Big Bang Theory, The Simpsons, The Arrow, The Flash, Elementary, and NCIS.

I watched Dexter at some point, which is... meh. The main character is rather boring and the show should clearly be about his sister.

Also, Veronica Mars, which is mostly great the first two seasons (an exception is an episode in which she blackmails a guy by exploiting the fact that he's bisexual... seriously?). The third season does a weird change in format and the quality takes a nosedive.

• 1 month later...

At the Internet's suggestion, I've been watching a new show, The Expanse. It strikes me as what would happen if Firefly and Cowboy Bebop had a baby, and that baby had really bad haircuts. Pls, go watch it, so that it won't get canceled after one season.

Edited by sylae
plus, it's made by a tv channel that literally named itself after me. what more could you want?

At the Internet's suggestion, I've been watching a new show, The Expanse. It strikes me as what would happen if Firefly and Cowboy Bebop had a baby, and that baby had really bad haircuts. Pls, go watch it, so that it won't get canceled after one season.

I love it too. I bought the season pass on iTunes specifically to show my support, since a lot of science fiction shows suffer from a large portion of their target audience not paying for them. It seems to have worked because it has already been renewed for a second season. On a related note, I just started reading Leviathon Wakes, the first book in the series the show is based on. I'm really enjoying it so far.