[Avernum 3] Killing Ellhioc for Troglodyte King

I'm underneath the Trogolodyte Castle having accepted the king's mission to kill Ellhioc. I know how to use Ellhioc's machine to manipulate the runes so that I can cross the room with a crack in the wall. From what I understand, I need to use Move Mountains or a Stoneshatter Crystal to get through the crack.

What if I have neither? Does that make it impossible to complete this quest?

I've tried clearing out the castle underground in search of a Stoneshatter Crystal (or some other means of getting to Ellhioc), but no luck so far ...

OK, so it turns out I can leave the castle underground and then the castle itself via the secret exit but return later via the main entrance ... so it looks like it is possible to leave, find some means of getting through the wall, and then returning to complete the quest.

Next problem: where do I find stoneshatter crystals? I went to Elspeth (Isle of Bigail lighthouse) but she doesn't stock any. Then I tried Vavnor (also Isle of Bigail) and Nell (Farport) in the hope that they would have a scroll of move mountains, but neither of them do.

This is really starting to annoy me ...

What is your party composition like? Do you have at least one character with high enough Priest spells to learn Move Mountains? If so, by the point you're at in the game, you should be able to talk to the mage (I forget her name) in the home fort where the game starts, and she will let you look at two spell tomes beyond a secret wall just south of her. One is for lvl 2 Far Sight, and the other for lvl 2 Move Mountains.

If nobody has high enough Priest or Mage skills for these spells, I would prioritize those skills as you train your characters. I hope that helps.

Priest in Tower of magi teaches move mountains, 3rd point is in Gale's library (I have forgot if caster could cast spell after reading tome/book which gives 3rd point before having bought at least 1 point).

There are some magic crystal sellers (http://harehunter.info/Avernum3/Maps2/mag.html) so go check those.

Jeff makes a lot of assumptions in what a party will have. Since the Anama (priest spells only) are in this game, the assumption that you will have priest spells is valid.

An alternative was going back to Upper Avernum and recruiting the slith priest NPC in place of a party member.

You leave a dungeon and come back, any barriers you dispelled on your previous visit are now back in place.

Never mind playing a singleton on Torment, if you want a real challenge play an Anama party! Just as well they don't need Stoneshatter crystals, they access all Priest spells including Move Mountains. Haste and Dispel Barrier are really a headache to replace.