[Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

I'm attempting a singleton challenge with a simple twist to keep it interesting: character death is permanent (i.e. if my character dies, I have to start from the beginning). My biggest challenge (per the topic title) is paralysis.

After finishing the first two plagues and the Orb of Thralni quest, I have the Pilgrim's Cloak, Firewalker Band, and Freedom Charm equipped. Collectively, these provide 110% mental resistance. I assumed that 100% resistance would yield immunity, but it turns out that my interpretation of "100%" differs from that of Jeff Vogel since I'm still getting paralysed (and, subsequently, killed).

So, some questions:

1. What, exactly, do the resistance values mean? ("100%" clearly does not actually mean "100%")

2. What, if any, is the relationship between willpower and mental resistance? (e.g. Are they checked separately when testing for resistance to paralysis? Are they equally effective or is one better than the other?)

3. Is there any way to achieve paralysis immunity short of gobbling immunity potions whenever I encounter paralysing monsters? (I have the Strong Will character trait, which presumably helps but not enough).

Now I'm no master of builds or mechanics or the like, but I personally would not have thought Paralysis would be a mental effect. Freezing one's body into a position doesn't seem like something caused by your mind.

And that said, I feel like you may have more problems with the one-hit-kills of Basilisks, once you fight more of them.

1. Jeff in the first Trilogy added up resistances and armor to give you the number you see, but he actually multiplied the effects that gives a lower value below 100%. He fixed it starting in Avernum 4.

Thanks for clarifying!

How does Willpower fit into this multiplication? According to the game, each level of Willpower provides 5% resistance for mental effects. Does this mean that 20 Willpower provides 100% resistance and, therefore, effective immunity regardless of the presence of any mental resistance items?