[Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
galatius galatius

New Arrival

• Member ID: 14,834
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:51 PM #1 [Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

I'm attempting a singleton challenge with a simple twist to keep it interesting: character death is permanent (i.e. if my character dies, I have to start from the beginning). My biggest challenge (per the topic title) is paralysis.

After finishing the first two plagues and the Orb of Thralni quest, I have the Pilgrim's Cloak, Firewalker Band, and Freedom Charm equipped. Collectively, these provide 110% mental resistance. I assumed that 100% resistance would yield immunity, but it turns out that my interpretation of "100%" differs from that of Jeff Vogel since I'm still getting paralysed (and, subsequently, killed).

So, some questions:

1. What, exactly, do the resistance values mean? ("100%" clearly does not actually mean "100%")

2. What, if any, is the relationship between willpower and mental resistance? (e.g. Are they checked separately when testing for resistance to paralysis? Are they equally effective or is one better than the other?)

3. Is there any way to achieve paralysis immunity short of gobbling immunity potions whenever I encounter paralysing monsters? (I have the Strong Will character trait, which presumably helps but not enough).

Chessrook44 Chessrook44

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 6,380
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:30 AM #2 [Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

Now I'm no master of builds or mechanics or the like, but I personally would not have thought Paralysis would be a mental effect.  Freezing one's body into a position doesn't seem like something caused by your mind.

And that said, I feel like you may have more problems with the one-hit-kills of Basilisks, once you fight more of them.

galatius galatius

New Arrival

• 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:25 AM #3 [Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

I'm less concerned about petrification since there are items (like the crystal charm) that provide immunity to that.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,914 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:53 AM #4 [Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

1. Jeff in the first Trilogy added up resistances and armor to give you the number you see, but he actually multiplied the effects that gives a lower value below 100%.  He fixed it starting in Avernum 4.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

galatius galatius

New Arrival

• 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:51 PM #5 [Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

View PostRandomizer, on 11 March 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

1. Jeff in the first Trilogy added up resistances and armor to give you the number you see, but he actually multiplied the effects that gives a lower value below 100%.  He fixed it starting in Avernum 4.

Thanks for clarifying!

How does Willpower fit into this multiplication? According to the game, each level of Willpower provides 5% resistance for mental effects. Does this mean that 20 Willpower provides 100% resistance and, therefore, effective immunity regardless of the presence of any mental resistance items?

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:21 PM #6 [Avernum 3] Singletons and paralysis

There might be a cap so you never can reach 100%.
There was a whole discussion about this in A2CS
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users