First Rescue Medal

The medal seems to be bugged in some way. Multiple people, including myself, have not been able to get it, while clearly meeting the purported requirements.

It might be dependent on the chosen difficulty level, as I could only get the other medal I had missed (Royal Clearance) on my third, casual playthrough after two torment ones. This, of course, may be a coincidence, with the actual trigger being something else. And, if the medal cares about what specific Crystal Soul you rescue first, I can say that the ones in Ornotha Ziggurat and Pyrog’s Lair should not be applicable.

Now that I am curious, has anyone actually managed to gain the medal?

I got the medal, but I don't know if it was difficulty level dependent.

For what it's worth, I've earned every medal, including that one, in a single playthrough on Torment. The first Crystal Soul I returned was the one from Pyrog's Lair.

It's clear there's some kind of bug going on for some players, but it's not clear what causes it.

Say...what happens if you rescue the CS's from Angierach and Pyrog's Lair (so you can get Demonslayer), then go kill Garzahd, then go rescue the last CS at Ornatha Ziggurat? Is he revived? Otherwise it seems like the assault on the O.Z. would have to go very differently...?

Re the CS medal, looking at the scripts, I'm wondering if it matters which is the last soul you return.

It could also matter whether you go to the Shrine and then Olgai, or vice versa. Entering the Shrine and entering the Council chamber both trigger specials related to returning the souls.

Say...what happens if you rescue the CS's from Angierach and Pyrog's Lair (so you can get Demonslayer), then go kill Garzahd, then go rescue the last CS at Ornatha Ziggurat? Is he revived? Otherwise it seems like the assault on the O.Z. would have to go very differently...?

Some one did that in the solo game thread and there is a killable named mage taking his place.

Some one did that in the solo game thread and there is a killable named mage taking his place.

Yeah, a previously killed Garzahd will be replaced with Peltalis during the rooftop battle, although neither mage is present during the earlier fight in Guardian Plains.

I must say, while the Empire might “never be able to find the equal of the brilliant, awesomely powerful, extremely dead Garzahd”, they were awfully quick at generating a successor with very similar wall-exploding, flying and damage-sponging abilities.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not gotten my medal. I play on normal on a Mac. At the time I turned in my first & 2nd crystals

(still need to do the one in Angierach), I had all the Cave Lore (11 points) the the little cheat info at the

start of the All You Need To Know about Avernum Items etc. list. Some was created with the character,

some was purchased, and some was from the normal usage of earned points. None was from items.

So, Slartibus, I would conjecture that it's probably not a Cave Lore quirk. Both sets of characters I used

tried Pyrog first. Once to the council first and once to the place the crystals were to be enshrined first.

No medal. Perhaps we should count noses and see if it's a Mac versioin Quirk.

Small, feathered & tired of an unlit medal square,

Haha. Slarty's comment about Cave Lore was joke, referencing another area in the game where I and a couple other people had gotten stuck do to what we figured out is a CL check in a strange place. He wasn't seriously suggesting you need CL to get the medal, though. :D

Hmm. You played Mac and didn't get the medal. Earlier in this thread, Edgwyn said he was playing on Mac and didn't get the medal. I, too, played on Mac and didn't get the medal. Maybe you're on to something? Is there anyone out there who plays on a Mac and DID get the First Rescue medal?

I played on Mac and got the First Rescue Medal. But as a beta tester with several different games, I don't know when I got it and whether a later change in the release version is causing a problem.

The worst part about beta testing is finding a place in the game that used to work is no longer working.

• 6 months later...

I am doing a second play through and I did get the medal this time. So in my first play through I rescued all three crystal souls and no medal. This time it worked fine. I rescued Jekknol first and took him to the Crystal Shrine without triggering the reward in Olgai. Both play throughs were on a mac on normal.

I think Slartibus was right in his speculation that the order of Shrine vs Olgai matters.