Miles, I think I ran into the same issue you are describing, as discussed here. I never got any answers.

SNIPED!

Fortunately, you apparently don't need to get back there. Apparently that's a place to get a Phoenix Egg, and since there's another one that is easy to acquire, and since you only need one to finish the game, I gave up on getting back there.

After plenty of playing around with the editor, I found out that the book is actually not bugged.

What you need to make it readable is 4 Cave Lore. However much sense that makes.

Well, it could easily be bugged in the sense that it was intended to check for a more sensible skill like Arcane Lore and checks for that instead.

How did you get that far into the game with just one CL? You can buy it from Tor in the Demo.

Presumably, by not buying it from Tor in the demo. It's not like it's ever essential in order to proceed (although with the way the game throws money at you, there's not much reason not to buy up eight levels, either.)