Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic
krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• Member ID: 14,751
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:52 PM #36 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

This is why I love having a discussion thread.  Yeah I found a way to make it look like you are waist deep in water.  Looks awesome.  I think I will eventually make a sick looking swamp tile.  :-)  I adjusted the terrain height and also made it so when players step on it they drop down a few pixels.  So it appears like you sink down into the water.

I am having such a great time working on this scenario.

I tried to do some searching.  Cliff images....can I set different ones for outside?  Or can I only have one official one?

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:49 PM #37 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

Ah, shame I didn't see this earlier, but you figured it out anyway. Yeah, you can make terrain/floors cover the PC - Lazarus does it in Frostbite, for instance. Glad you figured it out anyway.

You're stuck with the outdoor cliff images, though, unfortunately.

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:04 AM #38 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

What if I define them differently?  Could that change them?  I wanna get rid of that dirt cliff lol.  :-)  I will test it later.

Also does my pc "0" stay pc "0" even when I change the position of the characters?  I really hope so.  But anyways,  if anyone knows instantly let me know.  Otherwise I can test it tomorrow.

Btw.  A little about me.  I am on a 3 monthish vacation in Hawaii on the big island.  I actually have more time when at home in Maine.  Should be back home in the next month or so.

Oh and one last thing.  The terrain, (n)pcs, items, and floors that the community have created are amazing.  I have found so many useful ones.  I didn't know if anyone came across a selection of dead trees?  I found one or two, but barely the style I was looking for.  If anyone knows any good ones :-)  let me know.

Btw this community rocks.  I feel like I missed out on the best days of these forums. I've been slowly taking time to check out custom maps.  Some really awesome potential that seemed to just have faded away.

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,477
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationThree Sheets to the Wind house, in Sinshan

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:38 AM #39 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

Changing the outdoor cliff graphics is possible if you just include a custom graphic with the same number (657 I think?). The fiddly bit, iirc, is that the outdoor cliffs are not quite the same size as the town ones, which means you can't do a straight copy-paste. You have to either edit a copy of the original image, being careful not to mess with the white background, or use it as a template to create a new one. You can take one of the town ones and carefully paste extra rows of pixels onto it until it's the right size. It may take a bit of trial and error to make it look right, because it's supposed to make a relatively seamless surface.

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:00 AM #40 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

Okay, check out The Sorcerer's Apprentice, by Niemand. It contains a selection of leafless trees by Ephesos, as well as an example of an alternate outdoor cliff graphic.

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:41 AM #41 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

View PostJerakeen, on 09 March 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

Changing the outdoor cliff graphics is possible if you just include a custom graphic with the same number (657 I think?).
Though this probably only works on the Mac?

I doubt PC 0 stays as 0 if you swap character position.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:45 AM #42 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

View PostCeltic Minstrel, on 09 March 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Though this probably only works on the Mac?
What, really?!

Does the PC version of Sorcerer's Apprentice just use the default cliff graphic? I had no idea.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:46 PM #43 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

I certainly can't recall seeing custom outdoor cliffs, which is why I answered with such certainty before (and I play on PC). MacBoA is a lot more open with what you can do - Thralni even got some custom music into HIM2.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:34 PM #44 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

I ran into this problem in Lord Putidus, as well. In the Mac version, the PCs are Roman soldiers without the player having to do anything. In the PC version, I include the necessary graphics, but the player would have to tinker with the default files to use them.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:20 AM #45 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

View PostThe End of Days, on 09 March 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

I certainly can't recall seeing custom outdoor cliffs, which is why I answered with such certainty before (and I play on PC). MacBoA is a lot more open with what you can do - Thralni even got some custom music into HIM2.
Niemand included music in the Mac version of Stairway as well.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:50 PM #46 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

View PostJerakeen, on 09 March 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

What, really?!

Does the PC version of Sorcerer's Apprentice just use the default cliff graphic? I had no idea.
I don't know for certain. However, that sort of thing works due to the Resource Manager's fallback mechanisms - basically, when searching for a resource with a given ID, it checks the most-recently-opened file first. Since the Windows version obviously doesn't use the Resource Manager, Jeff would have had to implement his own way of mimicking the fallback mechanism, which I doubt he would've thought of. So, it would surprise me if substituting default graphics works on Windows.

That said, I don't recall ever testing it. So I could be wrong, I guess.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:30 PM #47 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

Well, that seems to jibe with what Kel says. Enlightening.

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:06 AM #48 Krizmn's Questions and Discussions on Avernum Script

A simple question:  How many unique powers/abilities can you assign?  I feel like I read the answer somewhere, but I can't seem to find it again.

Ok I found it lol.  You get 4 customs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users