vahnatai Castle quest, Gaddiki's Library help

I am searching in Gaddiki's library for evidence of where a crystal sould has been taken. There is a scroll on the podium that tells of an alliance between the Vahnatai and the empire for supplies and spells. I cannot find anything else in there that mentions where a soul has been taken. I already read the scroll in Gaddiki's hall thet says there may be evidence in the library but I can't find it. I have Vahnatai lore 2 which was bought from an old man near some ruins. Do I need more lore to read the scrolls and if so where do I get it?

I am in the library at the sw end of the river, have read what is on the white podium and it talks about the alliance between vahanatai and empire. It says nothing about the whereabouts of the crystal soul. Between the library and where I parked the boat (at the sw of the river) there is a possible room to the east but I can't see a way in.

I made a screenshot, just for you. First, check the book that's next to the party to find out that Gaddika has the evidence on the Crystal Soul's location in his library (I don't know if that's necessary, but it can't hurt). Next, check the other book in the southwest to find a set of incriminating letters. I've placed a highlight around the southwest book to make it easier to see.

If you still don't find any evidence on the location of a crystal soul, it's probably because you already have it and didn't notice that you got it: you automatically pick it up and take it with you when you first find it. Check your special items list for an item called "Vahnatai Letters".

First, check the book that's next to the party to find out that Gaddika has the evidence on the Crystal Soul's location in his library (I don't know if that's necessary, but it can't hurt)

It isn't - I went about the fortress backwards because I wasn't strong enough for a frontal assault and ended up getting the letters long before I fought Gaddika/read the other book.

Thanks very much for that Lilith. I appreciate you taking the time. Now I know must be a glitch. I have read both the tomes many times. One says about looking in the library and the one in the library just says about the supplies and spells being shared between Vahnatai and the Empire. This is unfortunate for me as the Vahnatai Council will not give me the papers to get into Fort Haledon.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having exact same problem. Finished 2\3 main quests, this is the last crystal soul, and it seems I can't get letters from the book, or chest or shelf or anything. Double checked every corner and chest, everything. Checked special items - no vahnatai letters. I've finished quest slaying quest, went back, turned it in. Went to council, still does nothing. Any help? It seems like a bug.

Vergil, can I ask if you also had visited Fort Haledon before you got to looking for the evidence letters? That seems like a plausible buggy situation, since both areas have hardcode related to the Ziggurat soul quest, and SW probably didn't expect people to go to Haledon beforehand (even though it's not unreasonable to end up doing so).

Vergil, can I ask if you also had visited Fort Haledon before you got to looking for the evidence letters?

I haven't yet, I'm aware that I can't take down the fort without orders, and I can't get them without these letters.

Edit: Is it possible, that I couldn't obtain letters, because my special item list is full?

Yeah, smells like a nasty bug :(

You MAY be able to fix it for your current game by inserting a line of code into the code section of any easily accessible dialogue node, and then bringing up that node in game. (Make a copy first, of course.) Insert:

set_spec_item(14,1);

That should give you a copy of the evidence. Hopefully, that will be enough to trigger Prossis writing the Fort Haledon orders when you walk into the Council Chamber.

It's also possible that there is an SDF change required. Since the item is normally given in hardcode, and the orders are both given to you and given to Fort Haledon in hardcode, there's no easy way to figure that out. So, hopefully this will do it. If not it's a question for Jeff, who may want to look at this thread anyway.

Indeed it worked, thank you! Special encounter at council worked too, got the orders quest now.

Upd: Went to Fort Haledon, sucessfully finished the quest.

If anyone needs:

I've changed guard dialog in Scripts\t31Olgaidlg.txt like this:

begintalknode;
tag = 2;
state = -1;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
text1 = "The vahnatai guards stands motionlessly at attention, alert for any threat that might invade and try to harm their leaders. When you try to speak with them, they ignore you.";
code =
set_spec_item(14,1);
break;

Just speak to Olgai guard and it will give you letters.

Edit: In these moments, I wish item editor was still present in the game.

Edit2: I've sucessfully finished the game, thank you Slartibus, you're saved my game progress, time, and nervs:)

• 1 year later...

I don't have V. papers in special items so either I have filled quest and game has bugged or went to Haledon bef. clearing Vah. bandits and didn't get papers afterwards. 2 specials which start with Vahnatai, map and lore. Visited Mancuso recently but merchant didn't have any discussion related to papers nor any1 else had.

You can get a quest from Prossis-Bok in Olgai which I believe is called "The Vahnatai Castle". You complete that quest by getting the Vahnatai letters from the Southwest portion of the Vahnatai Fortress and bringing them back to the Council in Olgai. I believe that you have to go through a dialog tree with Prossis-Bok to get the quest.

I have quest to get papers but no papers and checking G's library gives only special encounter (about info trading between G and empire) but no papers and going thru all discussion options with P-B won't change anything so either I have returned papers but quest has stayed or I went to Haledon before wiping floor with G's and empires soldiers and returned crystal soul and then went to mop the floor with G's and empires soldiers.

On quest-list I have Vahnatai Castle-quest just before Destroying Garzahd.

• 2 weeks later...

Was gonna replay (from Limoncelli-battle) until that point that I get Vahnatai Castle quest but then found out that I need to pay visit to Pyrog's (rest his/her soul in peace after I murdered him/her in prev. game) lair and other things before that so I decided not worth it.

Edit: Decided to clear Pyrog's cave (besides gray pass area) and finished Vahnatai Castle quest afterwards and got orders to goto Fort Haledon (just like last time) so its random bug that quest doesn't get cleared even after finishing it.