New scenarios in progress

ben4808

Have you actually played all 230 or so BoE scenarios released so far? (Or even all 70 or so that are definitely worth the play-through?) If so, I am impressed and suspect that you must have a few good scenarios up your sleeve, too. If not, well, there are more out there, even if they are not the newest.

EDIT: I suspect one of the reasons that BoE designers became hesitant to talk about their works in progress over the years was that if you have a halfway done BoE scen, no one cares. There are literally hundreds of already finished ones.

You've got a good point there. I doubt if anybody has played all the BoE scenarios completely through---I haven't.

So....I guess we can start looking forward to new BoA scenarios instead, though I can't get it to work, yet. mad But there still has to be somebody working on a new BoE scenario.

EDIT: Eh, that was not necessarily meant as a question.

Quote:
Originally written by Imban:
Drakey, possibly?
I sure hope so…

Alcritas might be working on something as well, though it's doubtful. And if he is, it will:

a) Be fantastic, and

B) Probably be on BoA.

In any case, I've been working on one. Sort of…see I haven't actually worked on it for several months, even though I only have about half a town and the ending left to do.

Maybe I should do that, so my website actually has a use…

AC3:Retribution(Complete) is available for anyone who sends me an email requesting it. Minor bugs are still being squashed, but it is basically finished. When my last beta tester has finished, I will submit it to Alexandria. An early version has been submittied to Spidweb, but I'm doubtful if it will appear there soon. Don't know what the problem is. You would think the more scenarios that are posted, the better chances that more people will register BoE and that would mean more $$$ for Mr. Vogel. Besides pissing off the designers who have helped him sell his product, he's hurting himself as well.

Quote:
Originally written by ben4808:
As far as I'm concered, people should submit everything to Alex. Faster service = more people playing sooner.

Quote:
I think BoE is going to be fine, even with the existence of BoA.
I sure hope so, because I only have access to BoE also.
*Snickers* You know, you could always register. I'm currently working on 2 scenarios, one for BoE and one for BoA. Well, 3 if you count that I'm gonna port the one for BoE to BoA. If I feel like it. So it might just be 2. Ah, what the hell, I doubt they'll both get finished. But the one for BoE is going pretty well.

There's a lot of custom graphics floating around on various websites. I don't know what sort you'd need (never read the stories), but you might find something useful.

Some artists might (but probably won't) be interested in making graphics, but aside from that you're not going to get much help (loads of advice, though). There's a strong stigma against collaborative efforts around here.

I don't think I'll need too much advise, I'm real detail oriented. Just for fun I started to log E3 and write down the location of every good item in every town and dungeon. Of course I've never made my own scenario before so I don't know what problems I'll run into.

Brian Jaques RedWall series has forest animals as it's main characters so I'd need warrior mice, squirrels, hedgehogs, hares, moles, shrews, sparrows, maybe a giant badger lord. The bad guys are rats, toads, wheasles, foxes, and stoats (never really knew what that was.) It's quite an order. I might just have to try making my own graphics. I'm such a perfectionist I might get too nitpicky about someone else's work.

I always envisioned a stoat as a certain form of weasel, but I don't know for sure what they are, either, as I'm too lazy to look it up in the dictionary now.

Anyway, I don't think graphics artists have really thought of creating forest animals to put in a BoE scenario, so I would suggest you do try to make your own. It shouldn't matter too much if they're a bit crude, as the whole game is full of pretty crude graphics. :p

Stoats (Mustela erminea) are in the same family as weasels, wolverines, mink, badgers and otters. When in their winter white form they are called ermine. Their class is Carnivora (They are just cute enough to look like a rodent which they eat.) http://www.fact-index.com/s/st/stoat.html

sorry, clarification: the less fancy name for Mustela is in fact weasel. The Family weasel includes the Subfamilies weasel and a bunch of others. So it could be called a weasel but is not what is generally concidered a weasel. (Have I made this clear as mud yet?)

Quote:
Originally written by Shyguy:
AC3:Retribution(Complete) is available for anyone who sends me an email requesting it. Minor bugs are still being squashed, but it is basically finished. When my last beta tester has finished, I will submit it to Alexandria. An early version has been submittied to Spidweb, but I'm doubtful if it will appear there soon. Don't know what the problem is. You would think the more scenarios that are posted, the better chances that more people will register BoE and that would mean more $$$ for Mr. Vogel. Besides pissing off the designers who have helped him sell his product, he's hurting himself as well.
I would like a copy of AC3 Part 2 too please.

My email is:

srmboe2@yahoo.com

I have several different irons in the fire. Some of these might indeed be interesting.

Classic DID, a scenerio that is almost done in the graphics and construction area. All it really needs is the climax and the node and sdf work. Based upon the classic idea of a lady in distress. It is pretty simple but has a very things in it that I like.

Courage of Steel, just started this one recently. It is a game that takes place in the Dark Ages. It is created with an all fighter party in mind and will have little to no magic at all. I am leaning towards none but part of me wants to put in an old crone hidden away in a dark forest that will sell potions. This game puts the players in the shoes of a Viking style warband as they follow their Jarl's orders.

Dungeon Crawl, this is just what the name says. A city is reporting strange happenings in its' sewers and is looking for a few brave souls to find out why their sewer workers are vanishing. Just started this one too.

The World of Teradoth, this is an idea. It is not a scenerio as much as a world map that has quite a few interesting locations to explore and many secrets to discover. Dare you to brave the Fisherman's Maze? Unlock the secrets of Juntland Keep? Delve deeply into the wilds of the Pull'Tok lands? Or would you rather enter the Kings Court and try to influence his decisions. This is epic in size but will have no huge plot so it may or may not be an interest to anyone. Besides, I am making it more for myself than anyone else.

The Portal, this one is going to be, I hope my masterpiece but I don't have a problem with sharing the idea at the moment. The idea is that there is a magical portal that will send the party to a random place each time they enter it. My hope is to create a scenerio that won't be the same twice. It will make heavy use of the Randome node and should have challenges for parties of all levels. I won't say any more than that however.

Now, porbably none of these will come out in the next year, if they ever do, but I will be working on them in my off time. If anyone has any comments, thoughts, or suggestions I would be open to hearing them. Also, if there is a specific one that people want to know more about, or want me to rush production on, then just say so. I can't make any promises, but I will do what I can.

Some quick, unasked for advice:

Dungeon Crawl: don't do this one. Your time would be better spent on the other ideas, which sound pretty neat.

The World of Teradoth: standard warning about epics. The vast majority that are started aren't ever finished. If you're designing for your own fun, though, definitely go for it.

The Portal: check out the successes and failings of Alcritas's scenario Kalloskagathos, which made significant use of the Random node, too. He wrote an article on it called A Random Article , too.

Actually, it was reading that article that gave me the idea. smile

I probably won't do too much with the dongeon crawl. That one is kind of just for the fun of it and mainly for me, although I can concidering some random node work there to try and make every trip into the sewers and caves below a little different.

Also, I quite agree about not making the lady a weak little thing that just stands there. She will be quite the firecracker I think, but I won't say anything more for fear of giving away the plot.

Milu, I quite agree about the dungeon crawls. I feel that they are gitting an unfair hearing and simply need to be re-examined on their own merits. I persinally like them because there are days when I don't really want to work my way through a complet plot and listen to pages of psycobabble and just want to get out there and kill some things to gain treasure and experience. Plus, there is always the chance to run into an under ground civilization, or the ruins of one, as well as a few other goodies. Plus, I find them more entertaining and interesting than a party-builder. The only trick is figuring out a way to keep them from getting boring and making them replayable. Well, this idea may take a while to come out, I plan on pushing as many limits as I can with it, but while it is in the works, what kinds of plot work do you think? One overriding plot or just a group of smaller quests that can be performed or ignored at the player's whim? Or both?

Ben, I plan on finishing Classic first. It is smaller and will give me some much needed experience in the BoE engine. However, Courage will probably be my next project simply because I want to prove to all the nay-sayers that it can be done, and done well. I will probably splurge and put in a few potions, but these will be rare indeed to reflect both the difficulty of making them and the natural mistrust of anything concidered 'magical' by the locals. The plot and setting I mentioned may change, but I will keep the spirit the same nonetheless.

The Portal is going to take a while to make though. I have a LOT of ideas for little missions as well as larger ones. The tricky part with that one will be the node-work. Now that I know how to do the portal itself, thanks to a lot of help from some people here, the hard part will be testing it. I know how I will do it but that doesn't make it seem easier.

Anyhow, thank you all for your support. I shall get back to my node-work now and check in later.

The reason for negative reactions to a "dungeon crawl" scenario (or at least for mine) is that they so often degenerate into pointless and plotless affairs. As long as you can keep a plot to justify the monsters in the dungeon and their actions, and as long as you keep the combat interesting and fresh, they can be quite good.

Ultimately, I think Exile thrives on dungeon crawls, and they are the main reason for its existence, but they need to be more than just mindlessly killing monsters.

They all seem like great ideas. They could all turn into very enjoyable scenarios if done well. On the other hand, if done poorly, they could be awful.

I, personally, would like to see all of them.

Dungeon crawls often do become plotless. This isn't always a bad thing, though. Not all games have to have a plot. A basic background or premise often suffices. But if the dungeon crawl is simply hack-and-slash, it's generally not very good, at least if it's using an RPG engine.

I quite agree with both of you. Even a Dungeon Crawl needs good plot, some might even say especially a dungeon crawl. I plan on doing some research, I have just downloaded a whole mess of scenerios; paying close attention to the good and bad dungeon crawl types. I will also be looking through a couple of old dungeon crawl books from TSR for a few more ideas about how to do the plot and game balancing. I have a few ideas already so I shall get started on that one as soon as I can.