Most interesting battles

Share which battles you found most "interesting"! However you want to interpret that... :)

Consider the constructs in the third guard post. You don't have to fight them, and you don't get anything if you do, but I found it to be one of the most challenging and satisfying battles in the game.

The difficulty of constructs increases with each trigger... and you can't go heal and come back, it resets back at the goblins! Kudos if you make it all the way through!

I haven't finished the game, but so far none of the battles are interesting. I have three spellcasters and a tank with adrenaline rush that almost always win the battle in the first turn. Sometimes I even get battle frenzy from a haste spell on top of that, which is just ridiculous.

I have liked that nearby foes sometimes come running to help. In the Giant Village, I ended up killing almost the entire population in the first room after the secret entrance as they came to me, making for a more interesting and challenging battle than killing them piecemeal. I believe that I also had a similar experience in the Nephilim castle at the very beginning of the game near the banquet room.

Excalibur, sounds like you should try playing with just 2 or 3 characters. That makes everything a bit more interesting... I usually do my first playthrough with 3 (and I just finished), then do second playthrough with 2, and sometimes just as a singleton.

After you try a reduced party, you probably won't go back... 4 characters is just so many to manage! ;-)

I was underlevelled for the fight with Gaddika, and just barely managed to scrape through with a victory after several attempts. The first couple of rounds were spent getting my party into position, with my fighters focusing on taking down the enemy spellcasters before they could do anything too scary and my own spellcasters blasting away at everything with AoEs. Once Gaddika was alone, he usually couldn't quite one-shot either of my fighters, although he did have that banishment trick: a lot of the second half of the fight was spent with one character fighting off imps in the side room while my other fighter held the line, my mage dished out some extra damage and my priest kept everyone alive. Since my fighters had Adrenaline Rush and my casters didn't quite have it yet, it was one of the last fights where everyone felt like they had a specific and equally useful purpose.

I ended up at Ornotha Ziggurat waaaay too early. The entire zone was a stairwell of hurt. I had to use a great deal of strategic positioning, and on a few fights ended up accidentally pulling enemy reinforcements. It was pretty grand, with the exception of being choked out several times by a certain pair of mages who could have 3 summons apiece.

Dervish Tugler in Kohtar. Once I finished his long-headed buddies, I found (torment, levels 27/28) that he was way too tough for us. Once he was hand to hand, he'd soon lucky and wipe out my strongest fighter in a single round. Flanking him in doorways (my most common tactic in this game) didn't work, and he had far too much health for me to think of brute-forcing him with potions or resurrecting people 'til he died. So I had to put some thought into it.

My solution was to

split my group up. The priest and sorceress went outside the main gate. Fighter #2 pulled the gate closed, then hid in a nearby room. Fighter #1 went to Tugler's room to lure him out and lead him back to the gate. As usual he unsealed an ancient Grecian urn of whoop-a** on my fighter, but then he just stood there near the gate while my sorceress pelted him with bolts of fire. The only hitch was when he ran away...but then we just resurrected fighter #1, had fighter #2 open the gate, and repeated the procedure 'til we had him back in place. This time he went down, and then fighter #2 could sneak back out and open the gate..

That's what I enjoyed...that I had to break the usual rhythm of the game, split my party up, and use the cheapest, simplest spell in the game to get rid of my hardest enemy yet, So it wasn't testing whether I'd built the party strong enough or saved enough potions and scrolls, but whether I could figure out how to make do with what I had.

I also liked clearing the south barracks in Pyrog's lair, where I had to deal with the mindstealer and terror infiltrators...because I couldn't win just by equipping my best weapons and killing whoever came to the door first, but had to deal with the stuns and charms a little more creatively. To wit --

When my fighters were charmed, armed with two swords each, and battle frenzied, they could kill each other or another party member in a single round…so I had to re-equip them with shields and weaker weapons, lure the terror man up front so he could keep stunning them, and kill the mindstealer with ice storms. Then change weapons around, and change the mindshield for a bladeshield, to get the rest.

Also the Test of Speed...because I picture The Twelve Labors of Asterix (first labor) when doing it.

Edit: And the big running fight at the Empire portal...because of the mix of tough fights you can't avoid and tougher ones you can, with the need to split up and make sacrifices.

I found the commander encounter in the Half-Finished Fort quest interesting...

...in that the commander begs you to let her leave without a fight, and talks about what the war is like from the perspective of the Empire troops you're slaughtering. It does a good job of humanizing the enemy side. Then if you choose to kill her, you then go loot her bedroom and discover her pet hellhound which you have to kill too. Heartbreaking.

the first doomguard imo. at first i was like

"whoa that sounds omnimous" then i attacked it " well that doesn't look that strong" than it begins to multiply, and slowly overwhelmed because of my unpreparedness. the second time and all the time after that, i don't even kidding around anymore. i casted all support spells and wards on me and kill those mutha***** as quickly as i can.

It was pretty grand, with the exception of being choked out several times by a certain pair of mages who could have 3 summons apiece.

This battle is a pain regardless of level. Their summon spamming means that closing the distance between you and them can be really difficult. It's a bit easier if you retreat into the previous room after engaging them, then take advantage of the AI's weird quirk of rushing headlong into danger if they can't see you. I was able to pick them off one at a time. Not sure what I would have done had all of my characters not had adrenaline rush, though.

Pretty sure the battle is optional, though, provided you happen to come from the north.

Regarding memorable battles:

I can't really think of many. So far the boss fights don't seem especially unique or memorable in this game. They are mostly all just "guy with lots of hit points does damage and maybe occasionally spawns monsters or AoE damage." Usually Spiderweb games have a few puzzle boss fights, or at least boss fights with different gimmicks. But I'm only level 28 and haven't started most of the endgame stuff yet, so maybe I've just yet to encounter them.

the first doomguard imo. at first i was like

"whoa that sounds omnimous" then i attacked it " well that doesn't look that strong" than it begins to multiply, and slowly overwhelmed because of my unpreparedness. the second time and all the time after that, i don't even kidding around anymore. i casted all support spells and wards on me and kill those mutha***** as quickly as i can.

I found it pretty intimidating myself…my solution was to

avoid Mr. Doomguard completely…by turning on battle frenzy, running past the doomguard, grabbing what I needed, and getting out of Dodge. Which is one thing I like about this game…the opportunities it gives you to avoid some of the nastier fights, though for all I know I may’ve missed some good treasure that way.

I found Doomguards to be a bit too easy in A2:CS, even though they split. The reason? They are vulnerable to magic! They are immune to all forms of magic in the original First Avernum Trilogy and also in the Exile Trilogy. Considering I could easily blast them away with a Fireblast in this game due to their vulnerablity to fire, even when they split a lot and started to swarm, I never had any trouble with them. It's the same thing with Rakshasi. They are now vulnerable to spells too, where in the original games they were also immune to magic, and I think they even absorbed the damage and got healed from magic attacks.

With these changes, two rather powerful monsters were nerfed in A2:CS,

I found Doomguards to be a bit too easy in A2:CS, even though they split. The reason? They are vulnerable to magic! They are immune to all forms of magic in the original First Avernum Trilogy and also in the Exile Trilogy. Considering I could easily blast them away with a Fireblast in this game due to their vulnerablity to fire, even when they split a lot and started to swarm, I never had any trouble with them. It's the same thing with Rakshasi. They are now vulnerable to spells too, where in the original games they were also immune to magic, and I think they even absorbed the damage and got healed from magic attacks.

With these changes, two rather powerful monsters were nerfed in A2:CS,

did the old doomguards split too? i remember in EfTP there are some enemies that's immune to magic too, but in here, everything is blast able