Pacifist trait (Exile 2) and Magically Inept trait (2/3)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:33 PM #1 Pacifist trait (Exile 2) and Magically Inept trait (2/3)

I tested out the pacifist trait a little and found that it prevents you from attacking, shooting missiles or casting any spell in combat that requires a target. (Interestingly, this means you can cast summoning spells and scry monster, but only if not in combat mode. The same presumably applies to dispel barrier, if you can even cast that in combat mode.) Does anyone know if it prevents anything else? For example, using wands or scrolls? Or if it has any other effects?

It doesn't seem like he really thought the trait through much, because you can't even cast fear spells, which to me seems like they should logically be amongst a pacifist's favoured spells.

Also, I was wondering about the Magically Inept trait in both E2 and E3? My intuition says it should prevent the use of wands or scrolls but allow the use of potions, but at least in OBoE, the behaviour doesn't line up with my intuition even slightly (all usable abilities are forbidden except for weapon poison and light sources, regardless of whether they're magic).
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:41 PM #2 Pacifist trait (Exile 2) and Magically Inept trait (2/3)

Magically Inept was similarly awful in Nethergate, IIRC.

For Pacifist, well, it's not very pacifistic to go altering someone else's thoughts to suit you, is it?  Even if the ultimate aim is to avoid fighting.  It's absurdly impractical, especially given Exile's deathblow-centric experience system.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:35 PM #3 Pacifist trait (Exile 2) and Magically Inept trait (2/3)

True, it's certainly impractical in terms of the Exile mechanics.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users