1 @ 320 - Tower of Magi (Brantford)

1 @ 440 - Waldby

Fine Steel

1 @ 420 - Fort Draco

1 @ 480 - merchants near Formello

1 @ 480 - Dharmon

1 @ 540 - Waldby

1 @ 660 - merchants near Blosk

1 @ 660 - Merchant Oasis (east of Almaria)

Focusing Crystal

1 @ 720 - Egli

1 @ 720 - Waldby

1 @ 720 - Shaynee's Bazaar

1 @ 1000 - merchants in SE Great Cave

-- craftable but useful for excess money, at least if you don't have Cave Lore --

Mandrake

1 @ 360 - Waldby

1 @ 360 - Shaynee

1 @ 360 - Fort Samuels

Graymold

1 @ 160 - Harston

1 @ 180 - Fort Samuels

1 @ 180 - Shaynee's Bazaar

1 @ 220 - Waldby

1 @ 220 - Merchant Oasis (east of Almaria)

1 @ 220 - merchants near Blosk

Wisdom Crystals

1 @ 900 - Egli

1 @ 900 - Waldby

Invulnerability Potions

1 @ 800 - Egli

1 @ 800 - Tower of Magi

1 @ 800 - Dharmon

1 @ 900 - Formello (Stoppard)

1 @ 1100 - Waldby

1 @ 1100 - Dharmon

1 @ 1100 - Silverlocke

-- other notable buys --

Bar of Iron (early)

5 @ 48 - merchants near Formello

Magical Notes

3 @ 90 - Fort Samuels

1 @ 110 - Waldby

1 @ 125 - merchants in SE Great Cave

Bags of Sugar

1 @ 80 - Olgai (Corman)

1 @ 80 - Abyss refugee settlement (east of Almaria)

1 @ 110 - Waldby

Wine

Infinite @ 19 - Almaria (sells for 20 in Fort Dranlon before you use up the quest; 1500 bottles will max your gold)

Technically I only bought around 1489 or so because I had a few bottles on hand already. I really did do it though. I have no idea what number closes the quest, but I assume that it's much, much smaller (well below 100) and that this is an unintended exploit.

Wasn't there something similar, with Skribbane, in one of the Second Trilogy games?

Yeah, so with the wine, you *can* go fantastically high if you want, and the game will give you XP for them, but your gold does cap at 30,000, hence the realistic 1500 limit. The experience gained, at most of the levels I've tried it at, is about 0.60 to 0.66 of a point per bottle of wine. So, while you're profiting in gold, that's great: 1500 clicks for a full level of experience and 1500 gold profit. More than 1500 bottles, though, and now you're spending approximately 30-34 gold per point of experience. Probably not worth it in the mid-game when gold can still do a lot for you; even late-game, that's a worse rate than buying wisdom crystals for 900 gold, and the amount of clicking involved probably makes it a worse option than doing the herb bush treadmill.

For sugar and other found items, I've only listed purchased copies here -- those are the ones people might put off buying till later, then go back for, and where comparing prices might be useful. That said, if someone made an actually comprehensive list of where sugar is found otherwise, I'd add that too.

For sugar and other found items, I've only listed purchased copies here -- those are the ones people might put off buying till later, then go back for, and where comparing prices might be useful.

For what it's worth, the sugar quest doesn't ever seem to end and all the buyable bags cost significantly less than 200 gold, so if you have the money to spare it's always worth buying sugar when you see it.