Avernum 5 - Can't Play on Steam can't change resolution

Milla

For some reason I cannot play Avernum 5 on Steam. It will tell me that it can only play in 16 bit at 1024 X 768 and to change it by right clicking on the desktop and selecting 'properties' which does not appear on my system (And the equivalent of it won't let me go to 16 bit manually). Then it says that it is recommended that I change it through the game. Which I can't actually do.

The thing is both Avernum 4 and 6 work fine on Steam. Avernum 4 is set to auto change the resolution and Avernum 6 shows the change resolution menu before opening. Avernum 5 is doing neither. I will try reinstalling and see if there is any joy. If not is this happening to anyone else?

Edit: No joy have a picture of message

wQblkpv.png

Edit 2: By changing compatibility mode on windows 7 I can enter the game but the screen is ridiculously small and the change resolution options are no help.

Edit 3: Hmm I can enter the game now without the compatibility mode but the change resolution options are broken and with each exit it reverts to change on start up.

Edit 4: Ok selecting 640 X 800 option make the game play nicely in full screen mode but the fact is the resolution options are not really working.

Edited by Milla

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. I just installed and ran all three of the second trilogy games. A4 and A5 automatically started with the right resolution. Whilst I was able to go into the settings and make A4 ask me at startup whether I wanted to change resolution or not, A5 always went full-screen. Both ran fine though. With A6, I got the option of picking resolution on startup, and again, it worked fine,

I dug around in the Tech Support forum and found this thread: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/17714-steam-avernum-5-cant-change-resolution/ Seems to answer your question, though it's not ideal.