Grand Poll -- category suggestions

Slarti

Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing another Grand Poll, complete with analysis and graphs. It's been two and a half years, after all.

I wanted to solicit ideas for categories to ask about. I'll keep some of the ones from last time, of course, but a bunch weren't interesting and should be replaced.

I'm especially interested in categories where we'll get multiple answers with many people picking them. Those are more interesting and, of course, better for statistics fun. Last time we had 60 responses, so stuff that more than 10% of the forum population might pick should be our target.

Any thoughts? Random thoughts, game related, previous topic related, previous single-poll topic related... all ideas welcome.

List of all Spiderweb games played and which were completed as a comparison with Steam where there seems to be a lower completion percentage.

How many want to see you make a remix of A:CS?

Which game do you want to see another game in the series: Avernum, Geneforge, and/or Nethergate?

Geneforge:

Shapers vs Rebels

Avernum:

Empire vs Avernites

Nethergate:

Romans vs Celtics

Then we'll use caps on the letters, later on, it'll turn into a roleplay where somebody shapes a roamer to bite someone's head off.

You forgot nephil pirates vs. slith ninjas.

Or is it the other way around?

As far as forum members go, we have data on that from the last one and it doesn't seem to be the case. Most people owned games from multiple series. Though there were plenty of people who didn't own Nethergate or Avadon (this was before Avadon 2) there were very few respondants who didn't own anything in Exile/Avernum, or who didn't own anything in Geneforge. Owning does not guarantee playing all of, of course, but it's probably a reasonable proxy (and easier to measure objectively) for having played at least some of.

As far as similarities in game ratings, the pattern was even more interesting -- you may remember this chart:

b15relatedgames.png

Basically, it seems that similarity of the game interface & engine drives what people like & what they play, more than the series itself does. The G3-5/A4-6 bloc is telling in this regard.

Deja vu:

i'm surprised that people who liked BoE tended to dislike Exile 2 and vice versa. like that is probably the #1 most surprising result from all of that data

(The full thread, 2nd of 4, with explanation of that fact, is here:)

http://spiderwebforu...2-game-ratings/

Basically, it seems that similarity of the game interface & engine drives what people like & what they play, more than the series itself does. The G3-5/A4-6 bloc is telling in this regard.

Huh. I specifically don't like the second Avernum trilogy because of the similarity to Geneforge and do favor the first trilogy. But G2 is also my favorite game, so I'm the odd man out no matter what.

Hmm...some random ideas: Number of different places people have lived? Number of places live outside their country and/or continent of nativity? Age at which people first started playing video / computer games? Has someone ever played some type of trading card game? Do they still do so ? Has someone actually read LotR and The Hobbit, or only seen the films? Who read the books after seeing the films versus before seeing the films? Does appreciation for the Avadon game correlate in any way with age? For those who have already gone / are currently going to college (for an undergrad degree), how from their parents did they move?

You forgot nephil pirates vs. slith ninjas.

Or is it the other way around?

I always liked Pirates better than Ninjas. Ninjas were too too close to rogues whereas pirates were just more original. I liked my dungeons of dredmor pirate-like character too. However, the shadowalker (while closely resembling ninjas) is much cooler. The reasoning is that JV made shadowalkers. Nuff Said.

Last time, younger age correlated pretty noticeably with Geneforge appreciation, which surprised me.

really? that seems perfectly reasonable to me. spiderweb's main audience (and to some degree, consciously, its target demo) is weird middle school kids. my intuition would be that people favor the best game from the engine and story ideation that was current when they entered that demographic, which would make geneforge's core fanbase slightly younger.

i think nethergate and blades would be the main games to buck that trend, with the former being targeted at a slightly older audience (and being the only utterly sui generis thing in jv's catalogue so far) and the latter having way more content made by a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons

• 2 years later...

It's now been five years since the Grand Poll, so I think it's truly a good time to do another one, hehe.  I've gotten enough done on a new poll to believe this will not turn into an abandoned project, so now I'd like to bring this topic back up.

Ideas for interesting things to ask about in the poll.  GO!

Something about OBoE and things like support for and interest in it. Something about if people believe they are using their time wisely with regard to the inevitability of death and most people not being able to live to see more than 80 or 90 springtimes in their entire lives. Stuff related to knowledge of neurological development. Which species of even-toed ungulate is cutest.

Brainstormed topics while I went walking:

Height? Number of different states / countries lived in? Number of siblings? Favorite Pokemon? Favorite superhero film of the past 20 years? Favorite JRPGs? Favorite non-SW non-J RPGs? How many have ever played an MMORPG, & how many still play one? Preferred form of exercise? Favorite current SW forum moderator? Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, or Archer? Have you ever taken music lessons, if so, in what and do you still play the instrument? Do you currently own a pet, if so what kind of animal? How many currently keep a vegetable garden? How many have gone hunting in the past year? Fictional character you would nominate to be a SW forum moderator? Have you ever watched anime (and do you currently)? Have you ever watched Game of Throne (and do you currently)? Have you ever watched Twitch streamers (and do you currently)? How many movies do you see in theater in an average year? Attend religious services on a weekly / monthly / yearly basis? How many times have you been hospitalized (not counting when you were born)? Have you ever had a broken bone? Own a Nintendo Switch (or intend to acquire one)? Own a PS4? Own...whatever the name of the current version of Xbox is?

6 hours ago, Triumph said:

Favorite current SW forum moderator?

this is silly, why would you ask something that everyone already knows the answer to

Edited by sylae
until proven otherwise, i am going to assume i hold the record for seeing the most SWer genitals. and they said i wouldn't amount to anything in life.