Dikiyoba's Minor Edits Mod (Crystal Souls)

WARNING: This thread contains information about modifying your game files. If you modify your game, it may change in ways you don't expect or want. These modifications are not designed or supported by Spiderweb Software. Use at your own risk.

I've tweaked text descriptions, item definitions, and creature colors that stood out as odd and potentially irritating. These edits don't touch combat balance or otherwise impact gameplay. Obviously, this mod is unsupported by Jeff and co. Use at your own risk, (especially for non-PC platforms because I have no way to test whether this runs properly on anything but a PC).

Changes

Version 1

1. Black Basalt is now called Red Basalt, including in the quest.

2. As much as possible, the Serpent Cult is now the Worm Cult, and leftover references to snakes have been removed.

3. All items (except the Orb of Thralni and Demonslayer) are now sellable (though not necessarily worth anything). Trash, lizard eggs, maps, etc.

4. Limoncelli is no longer gray.

5. Altered giants are no longer gray.

Version 2

1. Fixed Waterfall Warren Sliths

2. Changed intro text

3. Changed text related to looting the shrine in GIFTS cave

4. Tor now recognizes you from Fort Avernum

5. Infernal in Angierach now has a name

6. Mother Clarisse now asks for 500 coins to cure the Dread Curse, instead of the erronous 1000.

7. Fixed a variety of typos and odd phrasing

8. Changed frenzying mob pronouns from "it" to "they" (optional; don't copy over the file "mobfrenzy" if you like "it" over singular "they.")

---

How to use

1. Download the folder and uncompress it.

2. Open the scripts/resources folder. If on PC, go Program files > Spiderweb Software > Avernum 2 - Crystal Souls > Scripts. If on Mac, go Macintosh HD> Applications > Right Click on Avernum 2 and Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources (thanks Excalibur).

3. Backup the original scripts and replace them with the downloaded copies. (If for some reason you forget to do this or lose the backups, the original scripts can be downloaded here. But every time someone clicks that link, God puts feathers on another dinosaur.) Version 2 changes a few files that were already changed in Version 1, so if you downloaded that be sure to replace all files, even the duplicates.

4. That's it. Enjoy the mod.

---

Requests for help

1. Is everything working okay? No bugs or anything?

2. What other changes do you want to see in future updates of this mod?

---

Things I don't know how to change (please tell me if you do)

1. The name of the dungeon(s) Serpent Cult and Snake Pit. (Probably impossible)

2. Chitrach graphics.

3. Efreet graphics (probably impossible, unless replaced by a graphic already in the game)

4. Is there code for checking to see whether there are humans in a party?

5. If anyone can figure out the code to make a poor leather helmet no longer a requirement for entering the starting tunnel in Fort Ganrick, that would be great.

6. Is there any way to make the door in the Barrier (Pyrn's) Tower openable through tool use or a key?

7. Any ideas on the Angierach text boxes?

---

Older Versions

Mod, version 1

Original Scripts, version 1

---

[Edit: It helps if I actually put in the links, doesn't it?]

[Edit 2: Dikiyoba has updated the description and links to version 2]

Edited by Lilith
added warning

Cool.

1. The name of the dungeon(s) Serpent Cult and Snake Pit. (Probably impossible)

2. Changing the Waterfall Warren slith text depending on the races in your party.

3. Chitrach graphics.

1 can be done, but not with simple file replacements, so probably isn't worth it.

2 is probably doable if it's regular townsperson dialogue, but will take testing.

3 sounded like Necris Omega was going to work on it if he wasn't scared off by gruff philology.

I actually figured out how to get the Waterfall Warren sliths to display properly. I can't change the code, but I can switch the actual text around, which I did.

Dikiyoba knows there are a few more reports of odd text in the Weird (Buggy?) Things thread to look at, but any specific suggestions are welcome.

Giving efreet their own graphic (instead of the ugly shambler graphic) would be great too, but I realize that'd be a lot more work than the chitrach graphic (assuming you'd just be recycling the existing chitrach graphic from previous games, whereas there are no recent unique efreet graphics to work with).

• 2 weeks later...

Mod updated to version 2!

WdPkFXx.jpg

BaHJvy3.png

Everything should be in the first post, but just in case you are feeling lazy:

Changes, version 2

1. Fixed Waterfall Warren Sliths

2. Changed intro text

3. Changed text related to looting the shrine in GIFTS cave

4. Tor now recognizes you from Fort Avernum

5. Infernal in Angierach now has a name

6. Mother Clarisse now asks for 500 coins to cure the Dread Curse, instead of the erronous 1000.

7. Fixed a variety of typos and odd phrasing

8. Changed frenzying mob pronouns from "it" to "they" (optional; don't copy over the file "mobfrenzy" if you like "it" over singular "they.")

---

Things I don't know how to change, version 2:

1. Is there code for checking to see whether there are humans in a party?

2. If anyone can figure out the code to make a poor leather helmet no longer a requirement for entering the starting tunnel in Fort Ganrick, that would be great.

3. Is there any way to make the door in the Barrier (Pyrn's) Tower openable through tool use or a key?

4. Any ideas on the Angierach text boxes?

---

Dikiyoba would also like to know who is actually using the mod, and whether any bugs or problems (with the mod) have been found.

1. Is there code for checking to see whether there are humans in a party?

Presumably so - that guy in Gnass won't train you unless you are of his people. He uses this code to determine if you're a slith = "condition = slith_present() == 0;" Browsing through the Olgai script, I can see that "nephil_present()" is also a call you can make. Yay. That means you want both those to be 0 to check for human-only parties.

...It just struck me that you might mean 3 sliths and only one human, say. I don't think there's a human_present() call, or at least I couldn't see one in any obvious scripts.

2. If anyone can figure out the code to make a poor leather helmet no longer a requirement for entering the starting tunnel in Fort Ganrick, that would be great.

I'm thinking it must be this line of code. Might want to remove the "party_has_item_equip" and give it a whirl.

3. Is there any way to make the door in the Barrier (Pyrn's) Tower openable through tool use or a key?

If doors work the same way as they did in BoA, no.

1. Yes, use the call species_in_party(short which_species). If it works the way it did in BoA, species 0 is human, 2 is Nephil, and 3 is Slithzerikai. The call will return 1 if there is a live member of that species in the party, 0 otherwise. I've only seen this call used in the dialog text for Gnass, usually the nephil_present or slith_present call is used.

2. Remove the call party_has_item(328) from t70door.txt and t70Fort Ganrick.txt. You should also remove the ok_dlg calls so that the messages don't pop up. For t70door.txt edit the conditional containing party_has_item(328) in the USE_STATE to this:

if (gf(3,24) == 0)
end();

For t70Fort Ganrick.txt change this:

if ((gf(70,16) == 0) && (party_has_item_equip(328)) ) {
sf(70,16,1);
ok_dlog(47,1);
}

to this:

if (gf(70,16) == 0)
sf(70,16,1);

3. All of the doors work with set memory cells that are hardcoded. It's possible to make the door open to begin with by either using the which_town() == 82 call or set_terrain, or some combination thereof. I don't know what the terrain number for an open door is (it's not in a2floorster.txt!), though, so I'd tackle it by conditionally forcing all the doors open in town 82 by editing door.txt.

Edit: doors are defined as objects, so the set_terrain call would be useless. The requisite calls are object_type and set_object_icon

4. The states which actually call the message boxes are hard coded. You can edit the dialog by looking at t12Agierachtxt.txt

• 4 weeks later...

Giving efreet their own graphic (instead of the ugly shambler graphic) would be great too ...

Agreed, as well as replacing hellhounds with hydras (if nothing else then just replacing the graphics and names). I just can't get over the fact that Jeff went and threw the hydras out of the remake. :( And dark wyrms and spine beasts. Ok I'm going to stop now. Mind you, all of this would propably render the Minor Edits Mod into something like a Complete Overhaul Mod.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...