Geneforge 1 and the later series

adc.

Recently on my other thread, I stated I will buy the Geneforge saga from Steam, and I just did. Hooray

So I started from the bottom Geneforge 1 and with every movement or combat, I let my imagination run in the eyes of my character Shaper.

I've already played Geneforge 1 a few years back, but it was a demo from Wildtangent so I simply 'dbugkill'ed my way for the story.

But now I loved both atmosphere and the mechanics.

My point here is, I liked some stuff like the combat better in Geneforge 1 (for now, as I haven't tried to play the others) than in Geneforge 4 or 5. I mean, hey, my fyora's ranged and my firebolt misses like 60-70% of the time and enemies are tough as stone. My encumbrance is to the total items in my pack, unlike in the later games where I can carry 999999999 tons of rock but as long as I don't equip it, I can still walk.

Also, I remember in Geneforge 4 that you had to kill worms before killing shaped creations. Geneforge 1 made you kill fyoras early in the game, plus, I learned a tactic where I can bait my enemies around the corner waiting to be killed by my creations, or be killed as well.

My Shaper is ultra fragile, I can't survive two hits from a thahd which makes no sense when I view it in my character's perspective, but it forces you to stay alive. I just imagine the thahd hits me so hard I get flung somewhere with broken ribs and when the splash screen you died text shows up, I imagine the thahd kicks the head of his downed opponent.

I just love it when resources are scarce, in Vakkiri, you have to pay 300 coins or have at least 6 leadership to get a canister of War Blessing, and you won't find any living tools lying around for you, ripe for the taking when you just started the game.

It was fun to be honest, but the games all have their good and bad points. I just wish Jeff would consider these things when he finally remakes the game.

Now, let's see how I fare at torment

My encumbrance is to the total items in my pack, unlike in the later games where I can carry 999999999 tons of rock but as long as I don't equip it, I can still walk.
Not sure about this, but I think some people actually requested this.
Also, I remember in Geneforge 4 that you had to kill worms before killing shaped creations.
I think that's Geneforge 3.
It was fun to be honest, but the games all have their good and bad points. I just wish Jeff would consider these things when he finally remakes the game.
This is my hope as well.
Now, let's see how I fare at torment

Right now I'm playing Avernum 6 on Torment. If I manage to finish it, I will try all the Geneforge games on Torment.

Jeff changes the game in response to player suggestions and usually complaints. The games aren't realistic, but like adding the junk bag it means you spend time playing the game instead of going back to town every five minutes to drop off sellable junk so you aren't encumbered. Playing the earlier games where weight mattered taught me to kill everything and then go back to collect the loot.

Now Jeff is concentrating on eliminating exploits like ducking back around a corner to avoid getting hit. There were so many that experts players used that a casual player would miss and die from not using.

The games aren't realistic, but like adding the junk bag it means you spend time playing the game instead of going back to town every five minutes to drop off sellable junk so you aren't encumbered.

If it still bothers you, just imagine that your shaper is dragging a little cart behind them where they keep their stuff.

Nah, no need for those I think. I got used to game characters that have their own void-space bank that they can tear apart anywhere they want, taking or placing items then resealing the holes.

Although my mood wasn't that good as I posted this, so it's somewhat incomplete.

I remembered playing a game called Risen and wow, was that game so hard. Resources are scarce and the combat was pretty harsh. I remember having played for like 20+ hours into the game and I still had my default stock armor. I only got my first armor from stealing off some people. The first buyable armor was near-worthless and it costed 500 gold, every coin was valuable yeah. I don't know if I feel the game was ridiculous or was brilliantly made.

Plus, I still haven't found a single good flip flop as I traversed across ruins, farmlands and bogs.

I think Geneforge 1 is my favorite game in the series for all the reasons you mentioned. Resources feel scarce so you're gonna have to dig deep to get even the most basic spells and nobody really likes you and only see you as a pawn for their own gain, if they don't want to outright murder you. Since there is no Shaper presence on the Island you really have no "allies". Just you vs the Island, Robinson Crusoe style. Combat is pretty fun in Geneforge 1 because it's rather fast paced. With each Geneforge game after Jeff kept padding the enemies, even the trash ones, with more and more HP which only served to bog down the combat.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Geneforge 1 is my favorite game in the series for all the reasons you mentioned. Resources feel scarce so you're gonna have to dig deep to get even the most basic spells and nobody really likes you and only see you as a pawn for their own gain, if they don't want to outright murder you. Since there is no Shaper presence on the Island you really have no "allies". Just you vs the Island, Robinson Crusoe style. Combat is pretty fun in Geneforge 1 because it's rather fast paced. With each Geneforge game after Jeff kept padding the enemies, even the trash ones, with more and more HP which only served to bog down the combat.

In G1 the rate of combat was the most intensive of the whole series, and there is an absence of dialogue other than description in the west and east earn parts of the isle, save for key areas, which helps make the isle feel empty save for monsters and ghosts.

• 3 weeks later...