West of Fort Remote - Spoilers

I am in Kothtar and attempting to recover the Orb of Thralni. Is there basically no way to approach this chamber besides "step on plates, be murdered by ice area of effect and multiple foe spawns"? I am trying to step on as few spawn plates as possible, but this does not feel doable. I am wondering if I'm missing a better way.

Somehow I figured it out. For anyone else who struggles with this section:

The circular platforms are not traps. They are where new foes will show up when you trigger a spawn trap (the square tiles and various wooden platforms. Uncertain what happens if you cross green runes, did not attempt). As soon as you enter, go left and walk over those circles. Once you're in the left corner, head up. Before you step on the wood platform, maybe take a moment to buff. Physical defense is all you need. Once you step on the wood platform, golems will spawn and the floor will take on a cold effect that only disappears after several rounds. The sentinel golems are immune to cold. Wail on them without stepping on any other trap platforms excepting the one you activated to spawn them. Once they are defeated, continue north along the west wall and cross the next wooden platform. Nothing spawns! Walk over the circular platforms until you are on the northern wall. Head east, then walk straight down the middle path (crossing another platform; nothing spawns!) and claim your prize. Leave the same way you came.

If you cross one of the outlined platforms in or out of combat, additional friends will join (gazers). I find them more difficult due to their array of magical attacks and the fact that they are reluctant to come within hugging distance. Consider yourself warned.

SPOILERS

I thought this orb room had to do with the gargoyle statues and the "trap door." Can somebody explain that to me? The trapdoor down to the lava room is accessible without even having to do the gargoyle tricks. I've been combing the whole fortress trying to find a gargoyle "trick" for the first pressure plate, thinking it would somehow alter the trapdoor to drop me down on the orb from above or something. If you have to fight the spawned enemies in the orb room no matter what, then what is the point of the gargoyle room at all? It is completely fine to bypass and seems to do nothing. Confused and frustrated by this particular map.

Also -- what is the point of the "Smite" spear treasure found here? It is inferior to molten halberd in every way, but is valued 4x as much.

The gargoyle room is a straight way to the Orb and with the information you can avoid dropping through the trapdoors or going around using hidden switches and fighting.

Smite back in the Exile version was a great weapon versus giants. But every remake has downgraded it.