A2CS - how do typical players keep track of where they have not yet completed?

Specifically there are two particular spells that you need at a high level and that you cannot get until a significantly long way into the game that get you into many spots throughout the game where you have been otherwise able to do everything else already in the course of normal gameplay as the plot evolves.

This is part of the "charm" of the game but I also find it frustrating in that it seems like busywork/bookkeeping that I have to manually keep track of very specific locations which I was quite sure I was unable to complete because of magic or physical barriers and locks that I was unable to bypass upon the first or second visits to a given place.

Anyway yes, while you can manually take studious notes, if your the "completionist type" that just has to do everything everywhere has anyone got a better system? other than consulting one of the few lists/walkthroughs that I don't think even Randomizer has bothered to figure out and type up**?

From my point of view I would like to be able to mark a given location on the map as apparently absolutely completed, 50%, 90% type deal since the main map now supports location markers. Similarly once you go through an unmapped portion of the game it should become mapped and have location markers of places you have discovered if you should ever go back there...

** that list would be, namely given a roughly optimal well specified playthrough order whereby you get the requisite abilities as soon as possible you then need to eventually go back to these exact 15 spots in some sane order to complete that location for all plot and character development/loot purposes...

I will await randomizer's surely forthcoming exhaustive and authorative provably correct list within a few hours!

I guess as a future enhancement to the gameplay mechanics what I am suggesting is it would be awfully convenient if I could just click on a location I have visited on the world map and have it toggle the icon between multiple states or that let me attach a short custom note or choose a prebaked reminder of some kind.

ie a list or way of indicating the remaining issue(s) with a location that roughly corresponding to these would do the trick for me:

not fully explored

can't read writing

rock or weak wall blockage

magic barrier blockage

locked door/closed gate blockage

too tough for now

If you click on "Avernum Map" and hover over the ?'s, they will tell you what assigned quests the game still requires you to complete at certain map hot spots.

Perhaps not for the fastidiously organized, but I find it very helpful in general.

yes I noticed that feature! It certainly reduces the support burden a game with this amount of detail probably generates but does so at the cost of, shall we euphemistically say, simplifying** away some of the mystery/puzzle/challenge of the game but it definitely is handy and holds your hand in case you "lose the plot"... Still doesn't fully address the completionist's issue, namely when you want need to get every spell at the highest level and get to all the blocked optional areas that are not directly related to any specific quest or overall plotline.

**for the record I still think this series of games about reached its (non technical) high water mark back in the long ago days of the moving floors and various other similar intricate puzzles and mechanisms that I have long since forgotten but somehow vaguely remember or otherwise now ascribe to the original versions if that makes any sense.

That said however, the latest versions of these games are clearly and obviously superior products in ways to numerous to bother enumerating other than to state its obvious from the visuals on down to the playability.

If you have any doubt of that and want to try living in and idolizing the undeniably glorious past I claim to remember accurately just go ahead find a still working ancient Mac and just see how long you can last playing through the original versions from what 20-25 years ago! Apparently everything was better in the past and the problem with the kids today... except of course for all the stuff we absolutely take for granted now that has obsoleted our (now) hideous past that we have conveniently entirely forgotten about and are certainly unwilling to go back to in actuality!

• 1 year later...

This kind of thing drives me crazy in games- having to take notes on a scrap of paper that I will quickly misplace or be unable to decipher. Because I'm sitting at a computer fer crissake! Why should I have to scrounge for pencil and paper while I'm sitting at a computer? If notes are going to be helpful, give me a tiny, super-simple notepad in the game to take notes on! A single document with nothing but simple text capabilities would be fine. Thank you!

</end rant>

Why would you need to scrounge for anything? Just keep a notebook handy for all your gaming notes. I find it much quicker and easier to jot it down on paper than have to type it out. I prefer pen-and-paper anyway, as with an on-screen notepad, you're limited to text alone. With pen-and-paper, you can write or draw whatever you want, and have it in-hand without having to go to another screen. Much more convenient, IMHO.

Heck, I miss the days when the only map you got was the one you drew yourself...