Weird (Buggy?) Things

My scooby gang is slowly crawling through Delrin-Bok's tomb when they encounter a room with three vengeful shades. My tank (Buffy) stands in the doorway while my fighter/priest/mage (Giles), mage (Willow), and priest (Xander) lob bolts of fire and smite from behind her. The vengeful shades just stood there and took it, presumably because they were stunned by the sheer awesomeness of my party.

Petition for this thread to be the official bug reports thread, if it isn't already? Anyway! Here's Garzahd doing 8000 damage. http://i.imgur.com/5waq9Vl.jpg

Which is weird, because he only ever does that amount of damage when my invulnerability is up. Otherwise, he does no damage. I think that is not how it should be.

One more - the "taunting" dialogue popups for the members of the Ten are a little mixed up in Angierach: I got the lich dialogue just outside the rakshasi door, and vice-versa (and this even though I'd already killed the rakshasi by the time I got to the lich door).

And hopefully Jeff is breaking his own unwritten rule about not really reading the forums and is actually reviewing this thread. Guess we'll find out when the updated game versions are posted.

How do I get the Royal Clearance and First Rescue in-game medals? I actually POSSESS Royal Clearance, and I've not returned not merely one crystal but all three (I've got the A Mighty Ally medal to prove it) yet I've never received these earlier medals. Is there some trick to it or is this a bug?

I'm playing on Normal.

I...don't think I used any codes? I've hardly used the Shift-D codes at all this game, mostly when I was playing around with spell levels to check differences between lvl. 1 and lvl. 2, and I'm pretty I wasn't doing that in the middle of going to talk to Gilda or rescuing my first Crystal Soul...

I went back to the nasty spider cave, after I'd returned one crystal soul already. The web barricades on the way there had reformed, and in the center of the lair I found a new creature I couldn't attack - a cave crawler with name in blue. Nothing happens when you try to talk to it (might be some "doesn't reply" generic response).

Odd.

I've discovered you can break the Action Point system. If you start with 18 AP and trigger adren rush you lose all AP and the character's turn ends.

It seems mere mortals have limits. :)

Starting with 16 AP works fine, haven't got around to trying 17 AP yet.

Of course this isn't a problem in practice. Better to whittle those AP down a bit before triggering the adren rush anyway.

So there's a max number of 36 AP you can have before it resets?

The max would be 29 or 33 depending on possible Haste process when I hit the adren rush. I'd guess the Haste DID process, because starting at 15 is pretty easy and with a haste that should take you to 30 AP after the adren rush is triggered... and if that triggered the problem it would be showing up a LOT more.

(Activating adren rush still takes action points. Then you get the +20 AP, or if your action took you to negative AP it just sets you to 20 AP.)

I suspect it breaks somewhere around AP 31 to 33.

I completed the "Destroy the Portal" quest and spoke with Mahdavi, but the "Raid the Portal" quest remains outstanding (even though she's the quest giver). Spoke with the King, Erika, Solberg, and Gilda too, just in case... What gives there?

I found Mahdavi problematic: usually, asking her about EVERYTHING (i.e., going through all her conversation options) cleared quests for me.

Mother Clarisse says she cures Dread Curse for a mandrake root and 1000 coins… but the script only deducts a mandrake root and 500 coins.

begintalknode;
state = 82;
nextstate = 87;
condition = dread_curse(0) > 0;
question = "_Do you know how to heal people who are suffering a terrible curse?_";
text1 = "_Yes, I can. Even when it is deserved, I strongly dislike curses. I think they are unjust, and too easy to misuse._ She looks at you closely, sighs, and shakes her head. _I see that you have such a curse. I hope you are guilty of no wrongdoing._";
text2 = "_The ritual is very involved. It requires rare, expensive components. I will need 1000 coins and a mandrake root._";

begintalknode;
state = 87;
nextstate = 82;
condition = party_has_item(293) && coins_amount() >= 500;
question = "_All right._ Give root and money.";
text1 = "She takes the components and begins to cast a very long, powerful, draining spell.";
text2 = "You feel faint. You almost fall over. Then, sweat beading on her face, she completes the spell. You feel the weight of the curse lifted from you, but you feel very drained.";
code =
dread_curse(1);
take_item(293);
change_coins(-500);
break;

yrO6iMI.jpg

Undispellable barrier in the Vahnatai Fortress.

This is really weird. Randomizer has it marked as having a switch inside that allows you to get in (presumably substituting MM 3 and DB 3 for the simple key in Avit). I wonder if this was an intentional nerf or not?

The barrier doesn't actually react to Dispel Barrier at all, whereas even the undispellable barrier by Pyrn's door will tell you your spell is too weak.

The last few things, I think.

1. I completed the game twice, but never received the First Rescue medal. I went after the Ornotha Ziggurat soul first both times, in case that's a potential cause.

2. If you fight your way through one of the gray pass checkpoints near Sulfras, it clears out the other one. Dikiyoba doesn't know what happens if you use the pass to go through.

If you initiate a battle with Sulfras while she is still chained and then move all the way to the other side of the room, you can just wait as long as you desire while Sulfras will be doing nothing except ‘grow stronger’.

For the first few minutes of holding the wait button, that is exactly what happens, but eventually her stats will become higher than the game can handle, resulting in the likes of:

CWq3APz.png

On a related note, if you bring Sulfras near death, move closer to unlock her chains (with Malachite Key in possession), finish her off, and then run out of her lair before the quickfire gets you, she will be alive and well when you return. Her secret door will already be opened, though, and you can slay her again for twice the leg protection:

DCCyiH6.png

• 2 weeks later...

A graphical glitch:

tqyx3vb.png

My character's lower extremities briefly disappear when moving west to east, but only when immediately south of the pit. This is in Cotra, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened anywhere with similar terrain. The floor tiles seem to be incorrectly blocking the view on the west side as if the height were lower there as well. Or something.

Did you use any shift-D codes between entering the zone where you receive one, and doing the thing that earns it?

I have a (daft) question, if You don't mind. Does using shift-D codes prevent one from gaining medals (or Steam achievements)? For example using the "resetboats" command. I had to use it once in my current playthrough to prevent myself from getting stuck.

I have a (daft) question, if You don't mind. Does using shift-D codes prevent one from gaining medals (or Steam achievements)? For example using the "resetboats" command. I had to use it once in my current playthrough to prevent myself from getting stuck.

In some earlier games, using cheat codes would prevent you from earning any medals or achievements until you left the map area you used the code in. However, in Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, cheats don't appear to have any effect on medals or achievements. Feel free to use them as you need to without worry.

Move your boat around to the other bit of coast just to the west and dock there instead?

Alternatively, if you leave the area and go far enough away, they might eventually despawn.

I've been moving my boat around for a while, and the other coast also has some goblins blocking it, but I went all the way to the spiders, chatted for a bit, came back and....

30j1sao.jpg

I'll have to wait to despawn them--- unfortunately the barriers are still up (fresh game) but I do appreciate the advice!

I've been moving my boat around for a while, and the other coast also has some goblins blocking it, but I went all the way to the spiders, chatted for a bit, came back and....

Yeah, you have to go further than that. Walking to the Tower of Magi and back should do the trick, but if you're still in Chapter 1 that's obviously not an option. On the bright side, there isn't really anything you can do with Solberg right now anyway.