A:CS - Trainers (SPOILERS)

Trainers: (some information may have changed since I first recorded it)

Skills:

Fort Draco - Boris - at party level 8 - Hardiness (1260c), Blademaster (1620c), First Aid (900c)

Gunston Household - Tor - QUEST - Kill Salamanders - can now teach Cave Lore (1100c)

Formello

Amber (trainer)

-- Bows (1080c), Thrown weapons (1080c), Dual Wielding (1620c)

-- magi clearance - Riposte (2160c), Parry ( 2160c)

Caius - Luck (2500c)

Oglai - Vaina-Te (trainer) after returning a Crystal Soul - Melee Weapons (1760c), Thrown Weapons (1320c), Hardiness (1540c)

Mancuso - Tokor-Te- trains after Quest - Quick Action (1650c), Gymnastics (1320c)

Silvar - Oss-Ess - Pole weapons (1440c), Hardiness (1260c)

Solberg - crown clearance - Spellcraft (2200c)

Kevtar - near Fort Remote - Parry (1350c), Quick Action (1350c), Sharpshooter (1080c)

Harston - Renee the Sage - First Aid (900c), Cave Lore (1100c)

Magic Spells:

Fort Draco - Boris - spells ( bolt of fire to haste)

Formello - Miles - spells (bolt of fire to spray acid)

Egli - Seno - (need spirit prism to learn spells) - Capture Soul and Simulacrum

Mancuso - Tokor-Te- trains after Quest - spells (bolt of fire to minor summons)

Tower of Magi

-- Kayannan - spells (bolt of tire to cloak of blades) (expensive)

-- X - spell trainer at Magi Clearance) - (fire blast to arcane blow) (utterly ridiculous)

Kosdad- west of Fort Dunvo - spells (slow to blink) (slightly expensive)

Fort Dranlon - Postlethwaite - spells (haste to summon aid) (extreme cheap)

Solberg - crown clearance - spells (minor summon to fireblast) (slightly expensive)

Priest Rituals:

Fort Draco - Boris - Rituals (minor heal to war blessing)

Formello - Caius - Rituals (minor heal to move mountains)

Tower of Magi - Mother Clarisse - rituals (minor heal to ward of steel )(exorbitant)

Mertis - Rhoads - rituals (smite to call the storm, divine fire) (slightly expensive)

Fort Dranlon - Caitlan - rituals (unshackle mind to sanctification ritual) (very reasonable)

Almaria - Miranda - rituals (smite to call the storm, divine fire) (slightly expensive)

The Castle - Kristen - rituals (unshackle mind to return life) (slightly expensive)

Dharmon- Sarah - rituals (mass healing to divine host) (slightly expensive)

Gnass - Pathass - if Slith in party - rituals (unshackle mind to return life) (very reasonable)

Is there still a point at which you can no longer train in certain skills?

I'm used to the older Avernums where you could power game by not putting points into certain skills until you train them up first....but I just realized that Avernum 2 forces you to spend all your skill points on level up. So you can no longer hoarde skill points until you've trained in a certain area.

So what's the best way to use trainers? Does it still make sense to hold out on increasing certain skills until you train? Or are they more just to make your characters more well rounded and buy "group" skills like lore and whatnot?

Obviously, it would make sense to train in as many skills as possible first, before leveling them, if there is a cap on training levels. But at the same time, since you have to spend points every level up, there might be a point of diminishing returns if you are putting all of your points in lower level skills while waiting for the trainers.

Waiting to level up at all might work I guess, but I'm not so masochistic that I'd tackle the game without leveling up at all until post trainers.

Trainers are good for group skills like Cave Lore and First Aid. There is no trainer for Arcane Lore or Tool Use.

Otherwise I use them for weapon skills for Mages and Priests so they can get battle disciplines for adrenaline rush. Parry and Hardiness for Mages and Priests.

Also getting the 11th and 12th points for fighters after they get to 10 from skill points above the first tier weapon skills. It doesn't matter when you get them for weapon skills.

Hm, so no resistance trainer this time around? That kinda sucks.

For what it's worth, there are also a few locations that give a flat +1 to everyone's skills. They're not trainers, but they're worth knowing about since they can get you over the 10 maximum (stacking with trainers)

If you have graymold salve, a drake in the Scree Pits will give your whole party +1 spellcraft for 2,000gp

In the NE lava pits in the Vahnatai lands (the place where you get the fiery sword), there's a building where you can find a bug husk, and a building with an altar where you can place a bug husk (the second altar requires the Orb of Thralni). Go back and forth 3 times, and the whole party gets hardiness +1

In the Vahnatai Castle, there's a green crystal in a secret room. If you have a total of 13 Arcane Lore (Vahnatai lore doesn't help with this), then the whole party gets resistance +1

In the Empire Archives, there is a "Cleaning Room" that requires 15 tool use. Whole party gets +1 hardiness.

(Courtesy of Lilith): On the top floor of Ornotha Ziggurat, in the Southeast section, there is a room with two chairs. The game will ask if you sit on them. If you do, everyone gets +1 magical efficiency.

Woah, 24 for human traits? Is that a change from A:EFTP, and would you mind explaining how those new trait points work out level-wise?

And I forgot about the extra skills/stats every 5 levels after 30, thanks.

EDIT: OK, I see humans now get a bonus trait every 4 levels. IIRC, A:EFTP the older Avernums instead gave them no XP penalty but no special advantages, while giving nephils/sliths XP penalties to balance those races' special advantages. I think I like the new race system better - each race has advantages, but no "penalties."

Also getting the 11th and 12th points for fighters after they get to 10 from skill points above the first tier weapon skills. It doesn't matter when you get them for weapon skills.

So to clarify, you mean that you can only get the 11th and 12th points for skills like hardiness, dual-wielding, blademaster, etc. (everything but the weapon skills) if you use the trainers AFTER reaching 10 in those skills through training using skill points? And that you can use trainers for the weapon skills before reaching 10 and still reach 11 or 12 after putting enough skill points in? Thanks in advance.

So to clarify, you mean that you can only get the 11th and 12th points for skills like hardiness, dual-wielding, blademaster, etc. (everything but the weapon skills) if you use the trainers AFTER reaching 10 in those skills through training using skill points?

Correct.

And that you can use trainers for the weapon skills before reaching 10 and still reach 11 or 12 after putting enough skill points in? Thanks in advance.

Also correct. The bottom-tier weapon and magic skills don't have a cap at 10 like other skills do: you can raise them to 20 or 30 if you really want to.

So to clarify, you mean that you can only get the 11th and 12th points for skills like hardiness, dual-wielding, blademaster, etc. (everything but the weapon skills) if you use the trainers AFTER reaching 10 in those skills through training using skill points? And that you can use trainers for the weapon skills before reaching 10 and still reach 11 or 12 after putting enough skill points in? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, but hardiness can go to 14, and spellcraft can go to 13 if you get the party bonuses (I posted above where you can get those).

I have to test it, but the skill tree was set up in A:EftP that if you used the trainers before getting to level 10, then you couldn't raise the skills higher. This may have been fixed.

I was also wondering if it still worked this way in A2:CS. I hope not, but please let us know if you do test it out!

The list appears to leave out the Far-Fletch Clan (a nephil village southwest of Mertis) who give training in Bows and Sharpshooter for 840 each. I think they only serve you after you help the other nephil village (the one southeast of Mertis) by giving them a bunch graymold (actual graymold, as I recall, NOT graymold salve).

For what it's worth, there are also a few locations that give a flat +1 to everyone's skills. They're not trainers, but they're worth knowing about since they can get you over the 10 maximum (stacking with trainers)

Found one more of these: on the top level of Ornotha Ziggurat, in the southeastern quadrant of the level, there's a room with two chairs. Entering the room will give you the option to sit down: if you do, the party will gain +1 Magical Efficiency.

Munchkiny/slightly lazy question (I haven't yet reached the Great Cave/Scree Pits): I'd like to add only 7 points to Spellcraft from level-up points, get the 8th point from the drake, and buy 2 more points from Solberg for 10 total. Is this possible? Or does the drake's point count as one of the "bought" points (which would allow me to then buy only 1 more point from Solberg)?

Munchkiny/slightly lazy question (I haven't yet reached the Great Cave/Scree Pits): I'd like to add only 7 points to Spellcraft from level-up points, get the 8th point from the drake, and buy 2 more points from Solberg for 10 total. Is this possible? Or does the drake's point count as one of the "bought" points (which would allow me to then buy only 1 more point from Solberg)?

That's possible. You can even buy 10 with skill points, see the drake and train with Solberg for a total of 13 spellcraft if you want.

• 6 years later...
41 minutes ago, Kiran said:

Hi,

Who teaches dispel barrier level 1 and 2?  

First, I neglected to welcome you in your previous post ... welcome. Second, not to be a (complete) jerk by ignoring your question here, at the top of the forum (actually 'every' game forum has them) is a section called "Strategy Central".  There you should be able to find answers to most every question you can come up with.

Mind you, this isn't intended to discourage you from posting (lord knows it's been quiet around here), just that you can probably find your answers quicker up there, letting you continue on with your game, than it is waiting around for someone who remembers the details of a closing in on a decade old game.  If you still can't find your answer then by all means scream for help.