Avernum or Exile IV,anyone still play the exile series

Richard Bacon

I've been replaying the Exile series as a personal project, actually. Exile 2 is one of my favorite games, E3 is also real great (I kinda hate the plot though :/), and I've been playing E1 for the first time lately.

In a way Nethergate is kind of like a spiritual successor to the Exiles; it continues themes from E2/E3 which weren't exactly continued in A4.

In my opinion i wish the company wouldve continued the story as Exile IV but now its avernum 4 (avernum trilogy) as i liked the 2D graphics, was easy and simple, now its 3D, and does anyone still play the Exile Series

Playing Blades atm. Have Exile 3 installed and ready to lay, but Blades has some things I prefer. Ironically, 3 has some things I prefer too. :) The all-inclusive, all-in-one world vs lots of little ones mostly. But a big part fo the allure of these games is exploration and discovery. Now that I've played through 3 so many times it's like ya need an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind service to zap those memories from ya so you can re-discover it all. :) Why Blades is more alluring. User-made content's great, new, if frustrating. Only knock about it might be how much of what's in the game isn't in the stock 3 missions. Highest level spells for example, and some of the glitches about inpermanance of items in some of the best scenarios (FS this means you.) :)

i tried to play blades of exile but dont know how to, as how can i install it when theres no setup.exe or anything. can someone give me a fownloader that does NOT require INTERNET cus i got no internet on the computer i use for these games, i got exile off a shareware disk and made game discs. Can anyone give me a download so i can store it on my floppy disk till i get home

This isn't exactly the right place for BoE discussion, but... you can go to this post and download it. There's no setup.exe in that package; you need 7-zip to extract it, and if you get DLL errors you'll need to run the VCRedist installer. Also, the Windows version won't work on anything earlier than XP (and probably not even on XP). The Mac version is Intel-only.

I fully intend to play through the Exile series at least once (though I might skip the first one). I haven't gotten around to it yet, though. I suppose it might've been nice if he'd continued it instead of remaking it, but I don't really mind the Avernum series either. It has some downsides (only four party members, for example), but it's also better in some ways.

I liked having 6 player characters too, cus then i could still use the original names, what i dont like with avernmum is its 3D which would mean we will have hard times with the camera view. Like cant see if ur behind a wall. Thats why i like the 2D . Like paper mario and of course the Exile I-III series

well sort of 4 combatants fir me, cus i gave adrianna alot of armor xD and accidently bought a cursed broadsword, cursed greathem, cursed shield,cursed boots,and cursed chainmail, dint know what cursed did but now his encumberance is 25, so i have to get a higher defend skill now lol, hes now the cursed man id say(graphic is the red guy with dagger and shield, not mage) kinda like throg

I fully intend to play through the Exile series at least once (though I might skip the first one). I haven't gotten around to it yet, though. I suppose it might've been nice if he'd continued it instead of remaking it, but I don't really mind the Avernum series either. It has some downsides (only four party members, for example), but it's also better in some ways.

exile 1 is okay, but exile 2 is a way, way better game. i don't regret playing it but avernum 1 was more fun for me - there's some crude stuff about the interface, gameplay, and plot that gets way better later in the series.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This topic is really old yea lol, i ahvent been on the forum for a long while up until i now started playing Blades of Exile again,

6 Characters is best, in Exile 3, idk why they would have to make it 4 >.>.

In dungeons with stretch tables that go accross the room, leaving 1 open speace of movement on the ends by the wall

2 characters to block the pathways and 3 magicians to throw magic over the table, Good way to do things