!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:28 PM #36 Public Beta: The Magic

View PostBainIhrno, on 15 April 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

Are we going to get a CSR thread?
No, I prefer not to be on CSR.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,477
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationThree Sheets to the Wind house, in Sinshan

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:33 PM #37 Public Beta: The Magic

Okay, wow. I just played this now, because my old Mac is in mothballs and I didn't have BoA on my laptop, but now I do.

And wow.

Just beautiful.

I didn't find the combat too hard at any point, what with spamming the Magic, though I did not at first realize that I was supposed to actually do the penultimate fight - I thought it was just another buggy cut scene. I don't know if it's the scenario or the game itself, since this is literally the first time I've played it on the laptop, but yeah, the game would frequently crash during cut scenes, often resulting in missed flags and blocked progress. I got around this by constantly having multiple saves, and keeping my fingers crossed. It was worth it.

I did think it was weird that I had the option to tout my future leadership with Sophia before I learned about it myself. The only other thing that struck me as odd was the way AP were deducted for using the Magic. They were apparently only ever taken from the lead character. So if my speedy archer went first and used it, she kept her AP, but the warrior lost his for that round. This was pretty easy to scam by having the warrior wait.

And was it intentional for the casters to be able to spam attacks on the same turn for as long as their SP held out in Danatha? Don't get me wrong, it was a lifesaver, but it kind of felt like cheating. Of course, you were tossing a level 9 party up against some serious aggro, so all's fair I guess. Though I guess it also would have been possible to just stay invulnerable and run out the clock? Well, it was good fun anyway, despite how it turned out. Very cool effects.

Now I feel like going back and replaying Bahs and Exodus.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:32 PM #38 Public Beta: The Magic

View PostJerakeen, on 21 May 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

I don't know if it's the scenario or the game itself, since this is literally the first time I've played it on the laptop, but yeah, the game would frequently crash during cut scenes, often resulting in missed flags and blocked progress. I got around this by constantly having multiple saves, and keeping my fingers crossed. It was worth it.
This is odd. It sounds like your version of BoA really does not agree with your computer. This sort of thing happens in Exodus, but it really shouldn't happen in The Magic; I didn't do anything too fancy or too extreme here. I don't know why this is happening.

I did think it was weird that I had the option to tout my future leadership with Sophia before I learned about it myself.
Ah, fair point. Maybe chalk it up to absurd boasting? If I ever release a 1.0.1, I'll change this.

The only other thing that struck me as odd was the way AP were deducted for using the Magic. They were apparently only ever taken from the lead character. So if my speedy archer went first and used it, she kept her AP, but the warrior lost his for that round. This was pretty easy to scam by having the warrior wait.
This shouldn't happen. I just loaded up the scenario again to make sure that I hadn't accidentally screwed this up in the most recent release, and no, this isn't how it works on my computer. AP gets deducted from the person who uses the magic. I have no idea why this is happening on your computer.

I suspect that this is some sort of BoA bug on your computer, not a scripting problem, sort of like the above.

And was it intentional for the casters to be able to spam attacks on the same turn for as long as their SP held out in Danatha? Don't get me wrong, it was a lifesaver, but it kind of felt like cheating. Of course, you were tossing a level 9 party up against some serious aggro, so all's fair I guess. Though I guess it also would have been possible to just stay invulnerable and run out the clock?
I think this is the same BoA bug as above. But you can actually stay invulnerable throughout the whole battle, and that is intentional.

Glad you liked the scenario! It's really encouraging.

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:50 AM #39 Public Beta: The Magic

Yeah, it's happening in VoDT even without cut scenes. Just clicking somewhere unexpected seems to be enough to crash the game apparently. I re-installed; hopefully that helps.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,311
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:32 AM #40 Public Beta: The Magic

Well, I just played the released version. Very well done, I'd say it's probably my second favorite BoA scenario (although I thought some shops and more arrows would have been helpful, maybe they're there, dunno) but very well put together and interesting storyline.

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:37 PM #41 Public Beta: The Magic

There's one person in the town who buys, and one who sells. I did run out of arrows, though.

And I beat the scenario on my second run with a duo - doable, though I died a few times. And yes, the re-installed game seems to be more stable as far as crashing goes, but I get the same AP bug. Oh well.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:19 AM #42 Public Beta: The Magic

Thanks for the comments! Hmm, arrows didn't occur to me at all. I'll put that on the to-do list, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users