• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic
Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:22 PM #1 Public Beta: The Magic

As the title suggests, my new scenario The Magic is ready for a beta test. Download it, play it, and report any bugs you find in this topic.

This scenario is intended for level 1 parties. It stands alone, but experience with some of my other scenarios may make some of it easier to follow (particularly the ending).
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• Member ID: 4,273
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:49 PM #2 Public Beta: The Magic

Posted Image
^<@<: Pronounced exactly as it's spelt.
Design Tutorial (incomplete) | The Metagame | AIMhack Crack Pairings
Artemis (Planning Thread)
Last ten games. What have you been playing lately?

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:02 PM #3 Public Beta: The Magic

So... anyone want to beta test?

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:29 PM #4 Public Beta: The Magic

I've downloaded it. I'll probably have time to look on Sunday, but if not, I'll play it on Monday.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,311
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:19 PM #5 Public Beta: The Magic

Sent you a beta report. I might look at the optional stuff later.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:35 AM #6 Public Beta: The Magic

Looks very good, Kel has gone to great trouble to create a new atmosphere for this scenario.
Fight in the Large Rock would be beyond anyone who is new to BoA, it is tough and easily wipes out the whole party.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:08 PM #7 Public Beta: The Magic

I'll have a new version up shortly. Other than typos and minor bugs, which I've already dealt with, the big change will be toning down two boss fights and amping up one.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:31 PM #8 Public Beta: The Magic

Repairing the Bridge quest was not cleared, recorded as completed?! Did the cut-scene cut out? I will need to check this.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:19 PM #9 Public Beta: The Magic

That was a bug. It's fixed in the version I'll upload in a couple days.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• 2,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:49 PM #10 Public Beta: The Magic

I did the quest again and it actually worked...
Apart from the issues I raised, the scenario is working quite well.
Edit:
Slith town, front PC was always killed in the first round of combat.
Village of Sensitives is hostile?!

Edited by Ishad Nha, 19 January 2015 - 03:58 AM.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:14 PM #11 Public Beta: The Magic

New version uploaded. All known bugs are fixed. A number of aesthetic and balance adjustments have also been made. The new version is basically ready for release, but I'd love for a couple more people to play through it and try to do weird things to make sure that everything works as intended.

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• 3,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:27 PM #12 Public Beta: The Magic

I guess I could restart LigrevPlaysBoA. Maybe we won't murder everyone this time.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:00 PM #13 Public Beta: The Magic

If you do try to murder everyone, you may find youself in some rather dire circumstances fairly immediately. But I suppose it's up to you.

It might be further incentive to play if you know:
Spoiler

Enraged Slith Enraged Slith

Revenge of the Slith

• Member ID: 27
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:43 PM #14 Public Beta: The Magic

I feel bad that I didn't see this until now. Very exciting.

Revenge of the Slith

• 2,634 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:55 PM #15 Public Beta: The Magic

At first glance, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to win in the second fight against:

Spoiler

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:18 PM #16 Public Beta: The Magic

Sounds like you need more Endurance and Luck, along with casting Enduring Barrier.

Revenge of the Slith

• 2,634 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:58 PM #17 Public Beta: The Magic

Just finished it. Really great work. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the pacing kept things exciting. Only problem I noticed was the river on the southwest portion of the island; a section of it isn't connected right.

Other minor issue:
Spoiler

Gameplay opinions:
Spoiler

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• 3,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:10 PM #18 Public Beta: The Magic

I've made a huge mistake (probably NSFW due to occasional language).

BJearles BJearles

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 7,126
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:29 PM #19 Public Beta: The Magic

Blew through it with a god-party last night, so no input on balance yet.  From the look, I'll probably have a whole dissertation for you on that subject after doing it with a level 1.  Anyway, the only bug I found was
Spoiler

-Benjamin

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:39 PM #20 Public Beta: The Magic

View PostEnraged Slith, on 26 January 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

Only problem I noticed was the river on the southwest portion of the island; a section of it isn't connected right.
Not entirely sure what you're talking about, but I expanded the river slightly, so I hope that fixes whatever your concern is.

I've dealt with the other bugs reported here — and the bugs that came up in the LP, several of which were very unanticipated (notably that the call I was using was assuming that PC 1 was still alive, which is why you weren't able to progress any further) — but I want to play through the changes myself one more time before I upload the new version.

I'm inclined to leave the combats as they are. I think the wizard is doable, though it may take a reload or two. The naga is just as hard, if not harder, but (to my surprise) no one has complained about it. The penultimate fight is long, but you can do the whole thing with all four characters invulnerable, so I'm not too concerned.

(Also, Dinti, use the magic more — like, over and over again in every single fight — and rely less on Enduring Barrier for every single combat. Those rats should NOT be killing you, and you should rarely need to exit to recharge your spell points!)

Revenge of the Slith

• 2,634 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:55 PM #21 Public Beta: The Magic

This is the graphical glitch I was referring to:
Spoiler

I didn't have any trouble with the naga fight as my magic made short work of all of the hydras and the naga just kept casting weak summoning spells over and over

Dintiradan Dintiradan

Eye of Argon

• 3,697 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:04 AM #22 Public Beta: The Magic

View PostKelandon, on 28 January 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

(Also, Dinti, use the magic more — like, over and over again in every single fight — and rely less on Enduring Barrier for every single combat. Those rats should NOT be killing you, and you should rarely need to exit to recharge your spell points!)
Yeah, that was me being a dolt. I knew using the Magic regains HP, but not SP, and later on, I kept forgetting it also buffed my characters. So every fight there were two rounds lost as I blessed/hastened my fighters, and I didn't use my casters much beyond that.

Also remember that we killed people over a stolen boardgame. Success was never the primary goal of the stream. :p

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:57 PM #23 Public Beta: The Magic

Okay, the new version is uploaded. This version fixes all known bugs and makes a few aesthetic changes.

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• Member ID: 14,751
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:40 AM #24 Public Beta: The Magic

Kelandon , are you still working on this scenario?  If so, I just started it.  I really like it a lot.  I am new to this game all together, so I wanna give an outsider's perspective.  I like the story line so far.  The first town, I think maybe add a few worthless items to the crates and barrels in the inn, and maybe some worthless books in the library.  I was very sad when I searched around and found nothing of interest.  It felt kinda neglected.  On the positive note; the environment, personalities and the conversations were really nice.

I am too low level to beat the first golems.  I think I will try to use a higher level party next.  lol didn't get too far before dying.  Also one thing confused me.  I played the first blades of avernum.  I felt like I could heal my npcs that joined me.  You had a little blurb of stuff about me having to heal this guy with some special power cause he was outside the realm of my party.  Kinda confusing, but I am sure that was normal for others here.  Anyways, I clicked too fast and I think I missed how to heal him.  I am going to attempt another redo at the scenario.  Why do I need a special power to heal the npc who joined?  I felt like in avernum 1 I did not need a special power, and I could just pick the target or enter 5 or 6.  I can't remember.  Anyways :-) love the atmosphere.

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:43 AM #25 Public Beta: The Magic

Joined NPCs in the first Avernum trilogy are true party members that fill one of the 4 PC slots, but in Blades of Avernum, joined NPCs are a special thing. That might be why a special power is needed.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:49 PM #26 Public Beta: The Magic

Haha, I wasn't playing magic.  I started a different custom one.  Time to try Magic :-)

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:33 PM #27 Public Beta: The Magic

View Postkrizmn, on 09 March 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

I am too low level to beat the first golems.  I think I will try to use a higher level party next.  lol didn't get too far before dying.
The scenario is called The Magic. You probably should make more use of the magic.

I'm tempted to put in a reminder somewhere deep in the first dungeon if you haven't used the magic much, and again in the second dungeon, because you're not the first person to have this problem.

View Postkrizmn, on 09 March 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

Also one thing confused me.  I played the first blades of avernum.  I felt like I could heal my npcs that joined me.  You had a little blurb of stuff about me having to heal this guy with some special power cause he was outside the realm of my party.  Kinda confusing, but I am sure that was normal for others here.  Anyways, I clicked too fast and I think I missed how to heal him.  I am going to attempt another redo at the scenario.  Why do I need a special power to heal the npc who joined?  I felt like in avernum 1 I did not need a special power, and I could just pick the target or enter 5 or 6.  I can't remember.  Anyways :-) love the atmosphere.
I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know what "the first blades of avernum" is, unless maybe you mean Valley of the Dying Things? But even so, I don't know what message you're referring to. You'll need to specify when and where it appears.

Regardless, Healing does work on joined NPCs by pressing 5 or 6.

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:32 PM #28 Public Beta: The Magic

lol read my last post.  I thought I was playing yours, but I wasn't.  So ignore the golem stuff and everything else.

Today I was playing around on your scenario(the correct one).  I like how you start out in the beginning with your parents and the "sensitive" cut scenes.  The descriptions of the widow to the east was really nice.  It painted a picture of this woman trying to be happy, but holding back a long sadness.  The siblings in the very start was fun too :-)

Ok, so since you are starting out in your home land.  Would you be willing to add a bit more to the island?  Like maybe a cave where you used to hide out, no real monsters of course.  When I was playing, I wanted to learn more about the history of his/her childhood.  

I actually....would have preferred some more anticipation for the "sensitive" one.  It seems so mysterious in the beginning.  Is it possible for it to be on like a week timer?  You could go into your house and you might think to yourself, "I have three more days before I am taken.....I should cherish the moments with my family."

You don't have to add stuff like this, I just really liked the beginning area and felt kinda rushed out.  

After work today I am going to go a bit further into the scenario.

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:26 PM #29 Public Beta: The Magic

Wow, this is a hard scenario and it is far from what I was expecting.  I went in imagining a standard avernum game, but once I changed my mentality on that.  It is like a side story.  Now I am in the heart of the mountain....frickin hard.  I love hard fights so I keep getting drawn back into it.  I want to finish the story, but I need to go to work.  I will attempt this again later.

I want to find out where I am and what this island is.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:50 PM #30 Public Beta: The Magic

Are you using the magic frequently (i.e., every chance you get)? The fights shouldn't be very hard.

I'm disinclined to add filler on the front end. There is history of the PCs later on in the scenario, but not quite in the way that you're expecting.

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:48 AM #31 Public Beta: The Magic

I am fine without the extra story in beginning.  I just needed to play a little further.  Yeah I use the magic non-stop.  It's not horribly hard, but enough where I lose a character every so often when it is multi-targeted.

Btw , great use of the scripts.

krizmn krizmn

Citizen

• 28 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:48 PM #32 Public Beta: The Magic

Is it normal though that during cut scenes if you try to click anywhere the game crashes?  It happened twice during your scenario when I thought the cut scene was done, so I clicked somewhere and the game freezes and I have to restart.  I don't think it is your scripting, but rather Blades issue.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:05 AM #33 Public Beta: The Magic

View Postkrizmn, on 13 March 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Is it normal though that during cut scenes if you try to click anywhere the game crashes?
Not that I'm aware of. I would ask for your tech specs, but I actually don't have any idea how to begin to diagnose the problem, so it wouldn't do me any good.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:38 PM #34 Public Beta: The Magic

Okay, I think we've got most of the bugs, so here's an official release. Here's version 1.0.

BainIhrno BainIhrno

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,311
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:46 PM #35 Public Beta: The Magic

Congratulations, I'll look forward to playing it.

Are we going to get a CSR thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users