Avernum 2 Miscellaneous Questions

So I'm starting to play Avernum 2 as well. Several questions in mind:

1. Does the race of my party members can change the storyline or anything? I'm curious.

2. How 'nimble' the Nephil becomes? Is it a bonus to the whole dexterity or just boosting the chance of dodging or something?

Also, it would be great if someone tells me there is any other major differences from Avernum 1 to 2. Thanks.

Major differences between Avernum 1 and 2:

You can now play other races than humans.

Spells are slightly different.

Lots of new areas to explore.

Vahnatai

1. There is occasionally new dialogue options if you use non-human races. Tor, east of Fort Draco, is a minor example as he makes remarks about having non-humans in your party.

There is nothing major, but occasionally you can get quests or training options in Avernum 2 and 3 if you have a non-human of the same race as the NPC you are talking to.

Avernum 3 has a place where you can get attacked for having a non-human. But you probably were going to kill them anyway.

2. It's been a while, but nimble means bonus to range attacks every few levels. I don't remember if you get the other bonuses from the older Exile version.

Don't trust the instructions since some information was carried over from the Exile version, but is no longer true. An example is Sliths no longer get an intelligence bonus to make them better spell casters.

Thanks for your explanation! Then how about going for a party without a single human character? Would it cause any loss of a dialogue option? Since this is my first playing it, I wish I could explore every possibility of the game. If these is such a loss, then I would choose a party containing every different race.

[Edited] Sorry for keep adding new questions, but just they're just keep coming: according to Harehunter's annotated map, Defense seems to work quite similar to Hardiness in Avernum 1. It says 'Allows you to wear bulkier armor without penalty' and Without it, mages cannot wear any defensive armor at all. With a few points in defense, they can wear armor with a -15% to hit penalty without losing the ability to cast mage spells'. So it seems more useful than Hardiness since it negates the AP penalty of bulky armors and on top of that it enables mages to wear armors. Am I right?

[Edited] Nevermind. It seems like Hardiness reduces the hit-to-chance penalty while Defense reduces the AP penalty somehow.

Kill them all to make them friendly or at least they are no longer hostile. Some times you can't please everyone or at least some of the Vahnatai. You will find that you can't go back once you pass the next rapids so just clear the place out and make sure you get everything before continuing down river.

Hm... so that means I have to kill them whenever they become hostile to me. Too sad :( It's like butchering them due to misunderstanding with each other. Hope that there's a shop nearby since I'm overloaded with goodies.

I'll say this much... you won't find a shop until the end of the underground river.

I think I've made it to the bottom of the waterfall. Now I'm wondering if there's any way to go back to this tunnel area. I've found out that I lost the opportunity to read the book which increases the mage skill level... Argggghghhh!!! I hate those rapids. Unlike the first game, I cannot obtain Far Sight however I might increase the mage skill level when creating characters. If only I had Far Sight...

There is only one boat unless you use the editor to reset boats. There is a portal pylon that lets you enter the Barrier Tower that you can't enter the first time you pass it.

You may have killed more things to start down river at a slightly higher level in a later game.

What?? This thread didn't say "Dark Waters" at the time you posted! It did, however, contain numerous specific references to the "underground river" reached via Formello (which indeed is full of rapids and waterfalls), and no references at all to the Waterfall Warrens.

Earth Empires, I know you like being helpful, but you have this habit of jumping into threads with incorrect and/or confusing information... please remember, if you aren't 100% clear on what is being asked or discussed, there are many other helpful people here. That topic may be fresher in someone else's memory; so please just let someone else answer it. Thanks.