133 replies to this topic
Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,001
  • 10,474 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of Ermarian

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:09 AM #36 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Slipped to place four. I guess I either need to plan another trip... or try to recruit some more of my friends and family to this forum. :p

Neb Neb

What a save!

• Member ID: 4,879
  • 578 posts
  • LocationReigning in Toeldo

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:39 AM #37 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Looks like it's time for a year 7 meetup at Nikki's house.
Although, personally, I would be content with Lilith coming to Colorado so that the chart can no longer be represented in 2D space.
Calamity Refuge - Ligrev's Lounge - Spidwerweb Roleplay Wiki

(20:05:03) Nalyd: and lo, the lord alienware descended from heaven on wings of fire, and spoke in a tongue of flame, "buy my superfluous leds"

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:51 AM #38 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

How do all of you know each other?
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Goldengirl Goldengirl

Eye of Avadon

• Member ID: 3,001
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:46 AM #39 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Keep playing Spidweb games, Darth Ernie. You'll eventually get to the section on psychic networking with other Spiderwebbers. It's just past the Shareware Demon.
"Never say anything to anyone that you wouldn't want them to not feel bad about telling someone else about if they said it to someone they cared about as much as they care about you not knowing who they are, because at the end of the first day of the rest of your life, you're going to have to look twice at yourself in the mirror and still be able to sleep through the alarm in the morning after." - Student of Trinity
"I think the ultimate irony, and perhaps insult, would be for bad adventurers to reincarnate as town guards." - Slarty
"Look at me, I can't even be bothered to write my own message! I am truly the more optimal spammer!" - Nikki

Neb Neb

What a save!

• 578 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:19 AM #40 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני, on 05 May 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

We're particular, quirky people who get along better with each other than folks in our immediate area. So, it's no surprise that a lot of us are friends separated by distance rather than strangers who happen to frequent the same internet forum.

Now that I think about it, since 2011, all of my friends are CR or SW members.

(20:05:03) Nalyd: and lo, the lord alienware descended from heaven on wings of fire, and spoke in a tongue of flame, "buy my superfluous leds"

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:22 AM #41 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני, on 05 May 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Most of us met here. There are a few instances where people knew each other in real life first and came to this community independently (blue lines on the chart), and a few other instances where an existing member introduced someone they knew in real life to SW (green lines on the chart). I also have some real life friends whom I met through another member but are not themselves members here. It can get a little confusing sorting it all out.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:29 PM #42 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

What the lines don't currently indicate (and perhaps should in the future) are that a lot of people actually have had enduring and significant real life relationships.  Right now there is a red line for Marlenny and Ash's marriage, but there have been other long term couplings as well as long term flatmates.

I simply used the "marriage" cutoff before because I didn't want to share anything too personal.  But perhaps if I instead use a single color for a generic category of long term or otherwise major real life interactions, that would be okay.  Any opinions on that?
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:55 PM #43 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I guess that I have always assumed a certain amount of geographical affinity on the chart with SF Bay Area, Denver and Australia hubs based on things that have come up on the boards.  The marriage cutoff seems reasonable to me as in theory that is a more permanent state than room mates or dating.  Of course curiosity would force me to try to figure out the relationships if you posted the data which would be a huge challenge considering the fluidity of the personal lives of many on the forum.  I also think that not having the relationship data helps preserve a certain amount of privacy/anonymity.  Of course since I am not on the meetup chart, my opinion is even more irrelevant than usual.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:05 PM #44 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Actually, that gives me another idea.  Suppose the lines were colored according to where the meeting occured?  This could be tricky for a few cases but might end up visually interesting.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:31 PM #45 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostSlartibus, on 05 May 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

What the lines don't currently indicate (and perhaps should in the future) are that a lot of people actually have had enduring and significant real life relationships.  Right now there is a red line for Marlenny and Ash's marriage, but there have been other long term couplings as well as long term flatmates.

I simply used the "marriage" cutoff before because I didn't want to share anything too personal.  But perhaps if I instead use a single color for a generic category of long term or otherwise major real life interactions, that would be okay.  Any opinions on that?

I'd be fine with this. We'd have to come up with some ground rules for what does and does not qualify. Like, meeting someone for coffee a couple times doesn't count, but hanging out with them on a fairly regular basis for years does.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:32 PM #46 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I seem to remember from previous versions of this topic that the colors of the boxes had to do with various sub-groups (Aussies, Refugees, and a few others that I do not understand).  As one uninitiated in the long history of the different versions of the SW boards, I would find the geographical data of where the meeting occurred a more interesting use of the colored box.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:51 PM #47 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Yeah, the colored boxes were just a loose visual organization for several clumps of people who were mostly or entirely discrete from the rest of the chart.  Even now most of the connections between those clumps are through the PA meetup (the central green pentagram).

If I make such a switch, the boxes could instead be colored according to the same scheme and the person's geographic location.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:40 AM #48 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I would love to meet/hang out with more people from here, but I'm kind of stuck geographically. Realistically, I think I could probably only get to see Aran or Tridash fairly easily.

Valdain the King Valdain the King

Shaman

• Member ID: 7,970
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:01 AM #49 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

It wouldnt actually be called a spiderweb meetup unless Jeff himself were there. He'd also have to be dressed as his favorite creation. I prefer it if he dons the Tuesday Vlish. Thats much more colorful than the Sunday Glaahk.
"This stuff is so good if it was real I WOUDLN'T go into business with Bill Cosby."

"Sometimes Hawthorns Got me Down, I know it's such a pity. GIT ON DOWN TO SALT LAKE CITY!!!"

-The King who can sing

sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio, United States

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:06 AM #50 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostNikki., on 06 May 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

I would love to meet/hang out with more people from here, but I'm kind of stuck geographically. Realistically, I think I could probably only get to see Aran or Tridash fairly easily.
SOON EVENTUALLY

Edited by sylae, 06 May 2015 - 08:06 AM.
*MAYBE, WE'LL SEE HOW THE NEXT TEN YEARS GO I GUESS

Neb Neb

What a save!

• 578 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:30 AM #51 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostNikki., on 06 May 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

Sorry I'm poor. The good news is there's about a 100% chance I'll visit in the next three years.

Tevildo Tevildo

Watcher

• Member ID: 12,857
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, United States

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:38 PM #52 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

... I'm like the only one anywhere near Boston, aren't I.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:56 PM #53 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Nope, although some of the people who lived in Boston no longer live there.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:05 PM #54 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I'm still trying to figure out why the central meetup happened in Carlisle.  There is not much of anything there and it is not near a major airport.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:54 PM #55 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostEdgwyn, on 06 May 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

I'm still trying to figure out why the central meetup happened in Carlisle.  There is not much of anything there and it is not near a major airport.

My recollection of it might be pretty skewed, but I think it was pretty much because I was visiting Nicothodes. Nico lived close enough to Tyran, in Carlisle, that a trip made sense - they might've even met before then, but I'm not sure. Anyway we decided to visit Tyranicus, and invited lots of people to come. Grimm made it, and I persuaded Dikiyoba to come from Oregon to see us too.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:26 PM #56 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Skewed or not, it makes a lot more sense now.

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:48 PM #57 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

i'm about two hours from boston
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:34 PM #58 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostNikki., on 06 May 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

My recollection of it might be pretty skewed, but I think it was pretty much because I was visiting Nicothodes. Nico lived close enough to Tyran, in Carlisle, that a trip made sense - they might've even met before then, but I'm not sure. Anyway we decided to visit Tyranicus, and invited lots of people to come. Grimm made it, and I persuaded Dikiyoba to come from Oregon to see us too.
That's pretty much spot on. Nico and I had been talking for a while about meeting up sometime because we were only 2 hours' drive away from each other, so when I learned that Nikki was going to be visiting Nico, I invited them to come visit. At that point, we figured we might as well invite a bunch of other members and make it a Spiderweb party. It's hard to believe it's been 6 years since then. Here's a group photo we took with Arancaytar on Skype.

Posted Image

Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:44 AM #59 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I have no idea what is going on with my right eye in that picture; it's kind of creepy.

(Also, those Eddings novels look huge, especially next to the Robert Jordan ones below. The Eddings paperbacks (aside from Belgarath/Polgara) in our school library weren't even half the size of The Eye of the World...)

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:46 AM #60 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostLambda Closure, on 07 May 2015 - 05:44 AM, said:

I have no idea what is going on with my right eye in that picture; it's kind of creepy.
I think that was probably the result of a redeye filter. Nikki's eyes look a little weird too.

Actaeon Actaeon

Easy Street

• Member ID: 3,558
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:47 AM #61 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

It looks like he has a colored contact and maybe there's something behind it.
Lemme zoo– OH MY
Posted Image
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.

Arancaytar Arancaytar

Archivist

• Global Moderator
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:57 AM #62 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

View PostActaeon, on 07 May 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

It looks like he has a colored contact and maybe there's something behind it.
Lemme zoo– OH MY

Yeeeeah, I don't think that redeye filter was particularly effective.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:34 PM #63 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I think there have been some new meetings in the almost exactly 1 year since the most recent version:

http://minmax.ermarian.net/swirl23.pdf

Fill me in, please.

I'm still thinking about using colors for geography.  I'm not sure there's a good way to do it.  There are a few locations that would appear widely enough to be interesting (like Pennsylvania and Colorado) but there would just be a lot of splotches of different colors, to the point that it wouldn't be possible to interpret the colors meaningfully when you look at it.

Another option would be to use color or shading to refer to time, or perhaps to quantity of meetings.

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• Member ID: 3,440
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationInvisible Cities

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:22 PM #64 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Well, Lauren and Sylae and Iffy will be moving in with me over the next few months, so that's gonna happen. No meetings yet though.
The mutilation of the self is the only path towards real personal growth.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

Scorpius Scorpius

Fly in the Sky

• Member ID: 9
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:05 PM #65 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I want to be in the pinku quadrant but I'm too shy to meet Kelandon-senpai

Advice?
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 17,190
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:54 PM #66 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

Looking at the colloured map i realise i travel way too much and way far from most folks here! Exciting! I.e. for the next 2-3 years im in nairobi, kenya. I figure i gotta make my peace with skype meetings.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:30 AM #67 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I just met Sarachim today, so that's another connection that can be added to the chart.

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• 4,253 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:21 AM #68 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

I drove from Ohio to Washington and kidnapped Bard to come live with me. The both of us met Goldengirl and Actaeon on the way back. Goldengirl is very very sweet and Actaeon has the highest charisma score of anyone I've ever met.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:47 AM #69 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

All 4 of you met, or the 2 of you met G and A separately?

Karan S'jet Karan S'jet

seiðmaðr

• 4,253 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:29 PM #70 Updated Real Life Meetup Chart

The two of us met them separately.
WHAT DO YOU SEE?
I MUST KNOW WHAT YOU SEE
TELL ME. . .
WHAT AM I?
I CANNOT SEE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users