• Announcements

• That Which Mourns Soundly

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chessrook44

Avernum 3 Let's Play!

155 posts in this topic

Miranda is a recruitable NPC, hence she is very powerful by comparison with the PCs. (She has a Dread Curse level of 2?!)

Reward for helping the Vampire, rather than the Ogres, was a level in the Find Herbs skill. This lets you find alchemical herbs in the wilderness.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Considering how little I tend to use herbs, I'd say I'm glad I helped the Ogres instead then.

Onwards we go, and this area took a bit longer than it probably should have...

Gale is on the East coast, just keep going North and East from the towers of undead that you cleared.

Further explorations, as we find hints of what is to come. We'll be in Northwest Valorim for a little bit, but I'll return east eventually.

Oh, and I'm using a new headset in this episode. Let me know how it is.

Well now, looks like we found the three surviving dragons. Let's see what they have to say about all this...

Once you get the innkeeper to confirm that the name of the place is Wainscotting you will find a treasure out the back.

You may find a dead end, what should be a cave. You need to try all drinks offered by a named innkeeper in a town you have already visited.

Sharimik

Wow, that sounds... obscure, Ishad. I'll try to remember to take a look at that. Though I wonder how people found that...

That said, this is the LAST thing I expected to find on the surface...

Remote Cave where you got some alchemical herbs but could not get past the stalagmite, that is what I was referring to in post #108. You need to get a map. (Map is accurate except for one bit being rotated 90 degrees from its real layout.)

You can destroy one beam projector by hitting it with the beam from another projector. In fact, with careful placement of mirrors you can get a projector to destroy itself.

Barrier Cave, sit on the hill and watch the Tigers fight.

Yanno, I just realized how odd it is that I'm playing a fantasy game with legitimate Laser Beams...

Remember you can move the mirrors diagonally, this makes it easy to move the mirrors to destroy the beam

projectors. You can also advance behind a mirror that is shielding you from a beam. You can go into combat mode and have only one person active, he moves the mirrors.

With the Troglodytes and Giants dealt with we report in on our progress, and start making our way towards Gale.

Berra, in SE of Fort Emergence, is the man to discuss evidence you find.

Wolf Pit, the dungeon between the Bandit Hideout and the Goblin Lair, had a few interesting items behind a secret door and a big rock. Now you can clean out the areas you could not access before.

Around day 160 a quest develops, you will probably finish the game long before then. You may need to use the Character Editor to set the day forward, so the quest actually happens. You are probably strong enough to do it now. A good time to do it is after you defeat the golems.

Gale at last, a city so big we need two parts for it! And Gale is not in a good state...

A quick detour from Gale, as we hear the defense of some suspects in the plagues, and find a dungeon.

Lair of Dracos, a terrain type that should be impassable, is not, in one instance only.

Lair of Dracos, a terrain type that should be impassable, is not, in one instance only.

Let me guess... a pillar? No wonder I never found the way through, I didn't expect something like that. No hints as to it.

And I haven't died this many times in an episode in quite a while.

Tower at the south end of the undead isle, you must pay someone before you can find it, I don't recall if you did.

With the island explored (Except for what Ishad mentioned there), we head back north to deal with the Golem problem, and see the one person who has been having luck fighting them.

A small detour as we end up stumbling into one of the bonus dungeons. Easy at first, then it gets hard...

[media]

[/media]

My party was level 47,48 and had most of the third-level spells before they did the Pit of the Wyrm.

I would emphasize melee by the front rank PCs. Ditto spells that buff. It seems that if an attack does not kill the Abyssal Slime in one go the thing will split. Be careful of using attack spells in that case.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Before we head into the factory proper, let's clear out the rest of those stone circles around the place.

[media]

[/media]

Finally we enter the Golem Factory and... oh my... this... may not be easy...

[media]

[/media]

Go upstairs, I go to the center and use mirrors to smash up the laser beam projectors.

After that, look for the controls and turn off the power. Then you can smash the globes that power the creation of golems. Then clean up the lower two levels.

Use Radiant Shield for protection against golems and lasers.

Moving in combat mode is annoying but it enables you to dodge the beams.

Finally we enter the Golem Factory and... oh my... this... may not be easy...

(Still the no-embed issue. Any mods know anything about this?)

You have to stick the video URL in [media][/media] tags, like so:

[media]

[/media]

You have to stick the video URL in [media][/media] tags, like so:

Yeah... unfortunately, the two previous posts were done that way, and it still didn't work. In addition, in the past I never had to add the media tags... putting the links there myself were generally enough, and the forum automatically added it.

Now, even with the Media tags put in, it wasn't working for the past three episodes.

Yeah... unfortunately, the two previous posts were done that way, and it still didn't work. In addition, in the past I never had to add the media tags... putting the links there myself were generally enough, and the forum automatically added it.

Now, even with the Media tags put in, it wasn't working for the past three episodes.

Looks like the URL has to start with http:// and not https:// or it won't work.

Looks like the URL has to start with http:// and not https:// or it won't work.

Yep, that fixed it. Thanks!

So how exactly are people meant to safely get around this place anyway? I mean GOOD GOD!!!!

Time to go check out the last few cities we know of that we haven't really explored yet. Including, yes, Moon.

To complete the quest to kill Zang you must actually kill him. The reward is interesting, I don't know if he will be in Moon when you return there. If not, he may be in a nearby town.

If you have a previous save game, go back to that. Kill him and see what the reward is.

Here we take a look at the regions around Blackcrag, and find a passage that should hopefully lead into the fortress.

Finally we enter Footracer Province and look around at the cities left in ruins by the alien beasts.

I think Bliss Elixir is quite good but other potions/elixirs do more for you.

You should have 36 or 37 of the third level spells. You missed another one in Blackcrag Fortress,

Potions may be good. but I am just THAT terrible of a packrat. Grab and hoard all of them, because you never know when I'll need one, and then NEVER USE THEM. I really need to figure out a way to break out of that...

That said, onward we go into Tinraya itself.

I still have that issue. I usually finish the game with my characters loaded down with every single potion that can be picked up.

Yeah pretty much. Every potion, and every coin, thanks to rarely spending money too.

Moving on, we head through a hidden passage and find the consequences of something we've been doing throughout the game.

I thought this was the end, but I was quite wrong. Still a couple more episodes.