Avernum 3 Let's Play!

A3 feature: "+" items, these are ordinary items that have been given extra power by the addition of a magical ability. Item may or may not be relevant but you never know until you check its information screen...

Read every book you can find, a few will contain spells.

You missed two spellbooks in Fort Emergence, they were shown in the walkthrough part of the A3 Manual.

Your Let's Play philosophy seems to be playing it as you do it and not following any walkthroughs.

A3 feature: "+" items, these are ordinary items that have been given extra power by the addition of a magical ability. Item may or may not be relevant but you never know until you check its information screen...

Read every book you can find, a few will contain spells.

You missed two spellbooks in Fort Emergence, they were shown in the walkthrough part of the A3 Manual.

Your Let's Play philosophy seems to be playing it as you do it and not following any walkthroughs.

More or less. I do take hints and suggestions as you post them, but since I have a backlog it can take me a couple episodes to get around to it. I tend to avoid walkthroughs unless I'm fully stuck.

The way I see it, reactions to things are more interesting if you don't know they're coming.

In the first part of the game you will sometimes find your way blocked by the lack of level 3 exploration spells like Unlock Door and Move Mountains. Ditto lack of any form of Dispel Barrier. Even in fairly basic, low-level dungeons this will be a problem.

When you get the spells you need you will need to go back to the dungeons concerned and clear the obstacles away.

To figure out which dungeons you need to return to, you will need to keep notes or use your Journal to record messages from the dungeons concerned. (Said messages will not be related to lack of spells, they will just be general messages on other topics.)

Ritual of Sanctification is another thing that is not available for some time...

In the Character Editor, the Gold limit is 15,000. That is a good as guess as any for the game's coin limit.

You missed a few areas with some minor treasures. Game may be based upon you getting Far Sight fairly soon.

Two spellbooks in Fort Emergence are not immediately accessible, but become so soon enough.

I went too close to Erika's Tower fairly soon after the start of the game. Party was too low-level to survive the encounters we hit, said encounters blocked any retreat back to Fort Emergence. I had to use the Character Editor to get safely back to the Fort.

Edited by Ishad Nha

at least your party is getting tanned.

Half of the party, anyway. I doubt that Slith scales or Nephil fur actually tans. Hell I think the only creatures in RL that can get tanned are Humans and Pigs. But I digress.

Onwards through the rest of Krizsan City, and then off to make lots of maidens start crying.

There are four separate versions of Krizsan, each more damaged than the last. You seem to have the second of the four? The last two versions come into being if you take too long to solve the slime plague.

From a note I saw somewhere, Krizsan has a lot more than four versions. That said, aye I know about the "Doom Timer" as someone once called it, and actually mention it in this episode.

Speaking of which... I suppose seeing two cities with the same name is kinda inevitable in a situation like this.

I think A3 is based upon you having Far Sight because you can get it at level 2 (legitimately) after only a few minutes of game play, if you know what to do.

You can also gain Move Mountains at level 2 at the same time.

• talk to Anaximander get the first surface quest from him: "Anaximander wants you to go out to the surface, explore briefly, and report to him what you have seen. You can get to the surface by leaving Fort Emergence to the north."
  • do the quest, which only involves a brief trip outside the Fort
  • report back to him, the quest is completed
  • go talk to Mazumdar in the SE, she will decide you are important enough to be given the two spells
  • the two spellbooks are found in a hidden room
  • to actually learn the spells you will need a score of 6 or more in the spell skill concerned, this means you must use Custom characters not any of the other classes.

Edited by Ishad Nha

You won't get the Ritual of Sanctification for some time. You will happen to learn about it as part of a major mission.

Five level 3 Priest spells are given as part of totally one-shot encounters. Mercifully, three can also be found elsewhere. War Blessing is the problem case. Every PC who wants it should have it before they hit the second one-shot. You will know this is about to happen.

It is not something you can handle by lesser methods? I defragment my drive on a weekly basis. I also use Easy Cleaner to check for invalid registry entries and unnecessary files.

Once a day, I shut down all programs and Shut Down my computer.

with the way modern operating systems and hard drive firmware store data, defragmenting is mostly counterproductive tbh

it also can't do anything to fix physical problems with the drive. if the SMART attributes say the drive is in trouble then it's time to get a new one

Yeah SMART said the drive was bad before the diskcheck I tried to run even started. Fortunately it held out long enough that I could get a new HD and, using a program recommended to a friend, copied everything onto the new one absolutely perfectly. It's exactly the same... except bigger, once I figure out how to access the extra TB.

That said... even though it's late today, have today's episode, where we head on into the Lair of the Slimes.

Glad to see your computer is working again.

In Avernum 1, frequently an impenetrable door had a secret door nearby. You did not get Unlock Doors level 3 for some time. In Avernum 3 this may not hold true, Slime Pits level 1 door is an example of this not being true. In A3 it would be more of a last resort.