Development

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic
The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:39 PM #36 Queries on mechanics and incompatible source things

I'd love a shop that let you set a separate flag, besides treasure type, to determine what shop and how often it would appear. That way you could have an item that will ONLY appear in the magic item shop and not from mob drops. I think I tried to do that a couple times and was disappointed.

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:15 PM #37 Queries on mechanics and incompatible source things

I was planning to make shops more like in BoA so that you can put any items in a shop (rather than just consecutive ones) or even mix different types of items (like mage spells and priest spells in a single shop), so perhaps I can find a way to sneak randomness into that system as well.

Perhaps because of the previously mentioned misconception, I actually added a new treasure class which is meant to be used for items that should be "unique" or at least so rare that they're never a random drop (I thought magic junk shops could grab things of treasure class 0, but it seems I was wrong, because they actually use the exact same code as random drops). But even if it doesn't have any direct game effect, to me it seems nice to be able to distinguish between "monsters don't drop it because it's ridiculously common and/or useless" and "monsters don't drop it because it's ridiculously rare and/or unique". (I also added a new summon class for monsters in a similar vein, though there I don't think I was under any illusion that it would have any actual effect.)

Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:18 PM #38 Queries on mechanics and incompatible source things

I wonder, would it be too much of a mechanical change to reimplement the magically inept trait? Currently its effect doesn't really match its name and description. (The description is: "Magically Inept characters, for some reason, resist the effects of magical items, and are unable to use them. Potions and scrolls won't work for them at all, although worn items, such as rings and armor, will have a small effect.")

The actual effect is that usable items of any kind (except for light sources and weapon poison) don't work for them, regardless of whether or not they're magic. The description implies it should affect worn magical items as well, but it doesn't. My intuition from the name also suggests potions should be usable, but I guess the description contradicts that. It has no effect on actually casting spells - I'm assuming this is intentional, though, as the description explicitly references magic items.

The effect I'd go for is still a bit nebulous, but would be something like the following. If a usable item is not magic, a magically inept character can use it. (Possibly with an exception for items that cast spells.) If a usable item is not magic, a magically inept character cannot use it at all. (Maybe add an exception for potions, but maybe not.) For magical worn items (general use abilities), treat them as if their ability strength is one lower than it actually is. For weapon abilities, don't do anything - their abilities affect the enemy, not the wielder. (Possibly make an exception for Soulsucker.)

-----

On a tangentially related note, the three usable item varieties (potions, scrolls, wands) are currently almost mechanically identical. Potions multiply their weight by the number of charges and play a drinking sound when used, and I think they're more likely to show up as random drops. Scrolls and wands are completely identical mechanically. This seems like a bit of a waste, and I would sort of like to change that somehow. Making potions usable by magically inept characters could potentially be one of those changes. Another possibility could be introducing some means to recharge wands (maybe using a talk node similar to weapon enchantments?), and thus making them not disappear when their charges hit 0.

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:31 PM #39 Queries on mechanics and incompatible source things

I have no idea how to document the effect of setting path_type to 1... any ideas?

// Where place?
temp_rect = missile_origin_base;
temp_rect.offset(-8 + x2[i] + (x1[i] * t) / num_steps, -8 + y2[i] + (y1[i] * t) / num_steps);
temp_rect.offset(ul);
temp_rect.offset(current_terrain_ul);

// now adjust for different paths
if(store_missiles[i].path_type == 1)
	temp_rect.offset(0, -1 * (t * (num_steps - t)) / 100);

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users