1.7 GHz vs 2.53 GHz?

adc.

Let's get to the point

My laptop specs

10686617_662720677182610_8483257760592920028_n.jpg?oh=74ef08cf49e774db019de391f4c50b49&oe=54ECC290&__gda__=1428163148_8b459d4e3d56a776c8998c2b62474b75

And

Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card

Windows 8

I think that's all

So my friend asked me if I could fix his laptop as it is overloaded with bloatware and viruses. Starting up takes his laptop like 10 minutes to run at full speed. There were a lot of unnecessary programs in the background and stuff. It was a horrible sight, yes. So I reformatted his laptop, installed the Dell drivers, nothing more. It was much faster than it was before, well at least it is.

Problem is, I used a random Unity game as a measuring stick to measure his laptop's performance. Mine ran the game at smooth 60fps at high performance. Yet when I tried his laptop, it was frequently shifting from 10-30 fps at the same high performance.

That was a few months ago, but IIRL, his specs are:

Intel Core i5 something something CPU @2.53 GHz

3GB RAM

64-bit

Windows 7 professional

Intel HD Graphics 3000

And I thought his laptop was supposed to run better games than mine. Anyone knows why?

Oh, that explains. My assumption was hey, it's only one intel generation thing, what could go wrong? Well I was wrong, thanks Lilith.

But I do remember when I opened his laptop at school, the game ran at 20 fps for a sec then the next thing was smooth 60. Strangely, I've observed that his laptop runs best on battery rather than on charger. Something's definitely not right. I would advise him to play using the battery, but after 1 minute, the laptop would shut down, because his battery is kinda broken.

If it runs differently on mains rather than battery, that indicates power settings are messed up.

Also, initial lag and then smoothness is usually caused by I/o latency as things are loaded into memory (or in some cases, nonessential things swapped). Nothing to do for that besides a ramdisk (ibwouldnt recommend for your system), or short striping (which may help, but can be difficult to do properly).

If it runs differently on mains rather than battery, that indicates power settings are messed up.

That happened to my laptop once when it was still a few months old. I played League of Legends one day, and saw my fps stutter and seem to cap at around 20-30. I removed my charger then saw it ran smooth as butter, from 20-30 to the 60 vsync cap. Then when it almost ran out, I had to plug in the charger, but it would stutter again and all that. So I tried taking a look at my power plan and it was on the default balanced state. I set it to high performance and it solved the problem.

But I've played LoL during my first few months with my laptop on balanced without any problem. And by that I mean it is 60 fps on charger while on balanced power plan. Which is weird.

Oh well, thanks for the explanation guys. I'll take it from here.