Starting Fresh in A4

Aleric

I've never beaten A4, really never got to deep into it. I think at the time I gave it my best effort, I was into the Geneforge series and that ended up hooking my attention.

So I'm gonna give A4 a go, semi-blind. I don't know the plot well and don't like to min-max so I'll be going with a party that sounds like it would be fun for me.

Human Paladin (melee-light priest)

Nephil Archer

Nephil Mage-Thief

Slith Priest (pole weapons, so kind of a shaman variant)

I'll try to post updates as I go along and describe my experiences. Having played the Exile series and then Avernum, I knew what to expect there, so the fact that I'm kinda in the dark here could be entertaining (or not, but we will see how it goes)

I do miss that Int bonus. If I was playing on Torment, I would definitely look into the analysis and do my best to min-max my way to every advantage. However, I'm just playing on hard to experience the story in its fullest for the first time. Here is what I went with:

Greham: Divinely Touched, Elite Warrior

TQ7L74J.png

Hirmrr: Divinely Touched, Deadeye

MM8AHEk.png

Alexis: Divinely Touched, Natural Mage

gpAapTi.png

Sssrha: Divinely Touched, Pure Spirit

2Rd2Fyr.png

I've finished the first few missions. I'll add my impressions a little later today.

P.S. If the screenshots don't work, I'll edit and correct them later.

Edit: Screenshots corrected.

OK, so I understand the game is somewhat older and requires 16-bit color to function. That said, I have a 24-inch Viewsonic monitor, and like to play games at max resolution. So I have A4 set to not change resolution, meaning I have to manually change the color whenever i want to fire it up. The game looks fine but the visual area of the characters seems, idk, smaller? I always feel like there is an enemy off-screen waiting to ambush me.

I don't really know the plot of 4 at all. I had no idea where Fort Monastery was until I spoke with the commander. (those poor helpful monks :( ) I've done the preliminary work, killing goblins, etc. Skipped over the Nephil chief to pop into Fort Dunvo and meet with Anford. I'm not sure what is spoiler worthy or not yet.